The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Decision time- Msc finance UCL

I have received unconditional offers from UCL, Bristol and Warwick and I am currently waiting for decisions from LSE and Imperial. If I do not get offers from LSE or Imperial, I will be accepting Msc finance from UCL. Although UCL has a great reputation in the industry, its management school doesn't have great reviews and some have even preferred Warwick over it. Need some advice that will help me make a decision
Reply 1
I am currently an MSc Finance student at the UCL School of Management. If I were you, I would wait on LSE or Imperial. If you don't get offers from either of them, go to Warwick. In industry, it's more reputable, and they're much more notable for business & finance. I am really disappointed with the UCL SoM's overall support and teaching, and believe me I am not the only student who thinks that in this year's cohort. Why do you think application deadlines were extended from March 31st to May 19th this year? I know people who went to Warwick who are much happier with the overall course and they have even got job offers in IB and wherever they wanted to work, partly due to Warwick's reputation. Good Luck with LSE and Imperial.
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
I am currently an MSc Finance student at the UCL School of Management. If I were you, I would wait on LSE or Imperial. If you don't get offers from either of them, go to Warwick. In industry, it's more reputable, and they're much more notable for business & finance. I am really disappointed with the UCL SoM's overall support and teaching, and believe me I am not the only student who thinks that in this year's cohort. Why do you think application deadlines were extended from March 31st to May 19th this year? I know people who went to Warwick who are much happier with the overall course and they have even got job offers in IB and wherever they wanted to work, partly due to Warwick's reputation. Good Luck with LSE and Imperial.

I did wait for further offers but unfortunately I did not get into LSE and I am on the waiting list at Imperial for Investment and Wealth Management. So, I did accept UCL a couple of days ago cause I thought that was the best offer I had on the table, as the program at Warwick was Business with Marketing. It would really help me a lot if you could clear some more of my doubts, now that I have actually accepted UCL and have started other processes to begin my course this September.
Why is this so ?? , I’ve gotten an offer from kings business school to pursue the Msc finance (corporate finance) course and although the modules were better , a lot of people are recommending ucl for Msc finance since I got that offer too . Why is your experience at ucl bad , ucl is literally the 9th best uni in the world ??
Unfortunately, I did my PG at UCL in MSc Finance. I can say with full confidence DO NOT GO TO UCL, Its a complete waste of time and money. First, the curriculum is heavily disorganised, we started with first coursework without enough knowledge and background to work on it. Majority of the courseworks are group-based and surprisingly a lot of my colleagues were a bit careless and clueless on what to do. They do not release an employment report because it would make them look like an embarrassment, if one alumni is in IBD then he/she is an anomaly not the norm, Career support is below average and understaffed.
Throughout the year, maybe I can name one aright professor. A lot of them talk like consultants rather than academics. Also, SO MUCH UNNECESSARY MATHS, a lot of their coding workshops are jokes, I had to rely on Youtube to get through some modules. The campus is fancy in Canary Wharf but small, we got like 4-5 programs congested into these two floors, you cant find space to study because majority of study rooms and library seats are booked ALL THE TIME. They increased their fees into 41k for what? probably just to pay the rent of these two floors rather than investing in more resources.
If I knew I would have gone to do something a bit more useful like Masters In Economics from Nottingham or Manchester.
Reply 5
Unfortunately, I did my PG at UCL in MSc Finance. I can say with full confidence DO NOT GO TO UCL, Its a complete waste of time and money. First, the curriculum is heavily disorganised, we started with first coursework without enough knowledge and background to work on it. Majority of the courseworks are group-based and surprisingly a lot of my colleagues were a bit careless and clueless on what to do. They do not release an employment report because it would make them look like an embarrassment, if one alumni is in IBD then he/she is an anomaly not the norm, Career support is below average and understaffed.
Throughout the year, maybe I can name one aright professor. A lot of them talk like consultants rather than academics. Also, SO MUCH UNNECESSARY MATHS, a lot of their coding workshops are jokes, I had to rely on Youtube to get through some modules. The campus is fancy in Canary Wharf but small, we got like 4-5 programs congested into these two floors, you cant find space to study because majority of study rooms and library seats are booked ALL THE TIME. They increased their fees into 41k for what? probably just to pay the rent of these two floors rather than investing in more resources.
If I knew I would have gone to do something a bit more useful like Masters In Economics from Nottingham or Manchester.

I'm an incoming UCL Msc finance student and its too late now to get concerned regarding the curriculum and course structure. There was little to no info about the masters programs offered by the UCL SoM and the major factor for selecting the program was the brand name of UCL as well as the location which would help in providing opportunities to grow one's network. So the important question is, does graduating from UCL SoM help you in the job market? One of the alumni told me that having the UCL name on your CV opens a lot of doors for interviews and stuff unlike some other colleges like Bristol or Manchester. What has been your experience like in the job market, having graduated from UCL with Msc finance?
I'm an incoming UCL Msc finance student and its too late now to get concerned regarding the curriculum and course structure. There was little to no info about the masters programs offered by the UCL SoM and the major factor for selecting the program was the brand name of UCL as well as the location which would help in providing opportunities to grow one's network. So the important question is, does graduating from UCL SoM help you in the job market? One of the alumni told me that having the UCL name on your CV opens a lot of doors for interviews and stuff unlike some other colleges like Bristol or Manchester. What has been your experience like in the job market, having graduated from UCL with Msc finance?

I dont relish the moment when I feel that Im giving "thwarting" vibes. if you talk about the job market in the sense you include literally all the industries and entires, then YES. However, at their induction week they made us feel with their degree, we will have a legitimate shot to break into BB or EB, but that was not the case really. TBH with you, based on what I heard and searched, even Imperial "PG level" doesnt have the same appeal as LSE. It seems that only LSE "PG level and excluding LBS" will give a good shot to break into BB or EB. Now, Im not saying all other schools are worthless, but in terms of ratio of graduates and that break-in "PG level" LSE has the lion's share if not more lol.

Also, it seems to me the financial sector in London salivates over EU Business Schools, especially the French. I mean it is kinda of **** take tbh, becasue Masters programs in London are quite expensive and you would be looking for very lucrative job to repay the value of these Masters programs. "Btw Im not a Brexiter in case if I sound like one, but its the reality"
Reply 7
I dont relish the moment when I feel that Im giving "thwarting" vibes. if you talk about the job market in the sense you include literally all the industries and entires, then YES. However, at their induction week they made us feel with their degree, we will have a legitimate shot to break into BB or EB, but that was not the case really. TBH with you, based on what I heard and searched, even Imperial "PG level" doesnt have the same appeal as LSE. It seems that only LSE "PG level and excluding LBS" will give a good shot to break into BB or EB. Now, Im not saying all other schools are worthless, but in terms of ratio of graduates and that break-in "PG level" LSE has the lion's share if not more lol.

Also, it seems to me the financial sector in London salivates over EU Business Schools, especially the French. I mean it is kinda of **** take tbh, becasue Masters programs in London are quite expensive and you would be looking for very lucrative job to repay the value of these Masters programs. "Btw Im not a Brexiter in case if I sound like one, but its the reality"

Thanks for the reply. Now I understand what you were trying to say. I've heard this take from quite a lot of graduates now, especially about how LSE graduates are the only ones in demand and literally all other university graduates are left to face unimaginable competition ( it's worse for the international students). I didn't know about the EU business schools though and now its just another factor in rethinking this whole decision. But gotta go through it anyways but thanks for the replies, having a variety of perspectives really helps develop a clear picture of the things to come. Cheers.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending