The Student Room Group

Dictation and essays

For context, I have just handed in my first assignments for my English Literature BA, and I have a physical disability.

As part of this, I have to find the best ways of living, and find various strategies that make my life a little bit easier. More recently, I have started to dictate my essays or at least the drafts of them instead of typing them out.

This gives me more time to plan, initially and then by the time it comes to writing up the essays or assignments, they are pretty much written and it is more about structuring, and making sure I've mentioned what needs to be included in the essay, and actually answered the question.

Whilst I can type pretty much normally, after a longer period of typing, my fingers begin to stiffen up hence the use of dictation.

What I really want to know from you is have you tried anything similar? Does it work for you? Do you use any other methods, aside from the more conventional typing?
(edited 4 months ago)
Original post by LiteraryGeek
For context, I have just handed in my first assignments for my English Literature BA, and I have a physical disability.

As part of this, I have to find the best ways of living, and find various strategies that make my life a little bit easier. More recently, I have started to dictate my essays or at least the drafts of them instead of typing them out.

This gives me more time to plan, initially and then by the time it comes to writing up the essays or assignments, they are pretty much written and it is more about structuring, and making sure I've mentioned what needs to be included in the essay, and actually answered the question.

Whilst I can type pretty much normally, after a longer period of typing, my fingers begin to stiffen up hence the use of dictation.

What I really want to know from you is have you tried anything similar? Does it work for you? Do you use any other methods, aside from the more conventional typing?

Hi @LiteraryGeek

Dictation is such a great way to get your assignments started! I love it, even if it's just notes or planning, as I sometimes find it really hard to translate my ideas into a more formal way of writing straight away.

It's not necessarily a way of writing my essays, but I like to listen back to my work on Word, as quite often my eyes get tired from looking at my screen for so long and I miss small mistakes. So hearing it read aloud helps me to see if my writing flows and sounds cohesive, maybe worth a try!

I'm also a big fan of pen and paper, so will actually write out or form some of my essays by hand first, then type or dictate them onto my laptop, which again helps me see if what I have written flows well and makes sense.

Maybe these ideas might work for you too! Good luck with your assignments.

Emily 🙂
Student Ambassador at BCU

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending