The Student Room Group

How to get distinctions in assignments?

Hello! Just wondering if anyone has any advice on getting distinctions for assignments? I am currently doing an access course for uni in Health Science. Wanting to eventually to a degree in Occupational Therapy. I have completed my first 5 which aren't graded ones. Now I'm on to the graded ones I want to make sure I am doing my best so I can get the grades for uni. So if anyone has any advice on making sure I am doing all I can to get distinctions in my assignments please send any advice! Thank you!
You have done other assignments which were ungraded but I assume they had feedback - use that. You also probably have a mark scheme available to you which you can use to guide yourself doing your assignment and trying to maximise your grade :smile:
Original post by Alicew199684
Hello! Just wondering if anyone has any advice on getting distinctions for assignments? I am currently doing an access course for uni in Health Science. Wanting to eventually to a degree in Occupational Therapy. I have completed my first 5 which aren't graded ones. Now I'm on to the graded ones I want to make sure I am doing my best so I can get the grades for uni. So if anyone has any advice on making sure I am doing all I can to get distinctions in my assignments please send any advice! Thank you!

Hi there,

Similar to above, I'd say to review and make the most of your feedback - if you haven't got feedback, then ask for some. Also, use mark schemes and if you're confused then don't be afraid to ask! They're there to help

Best,
Jaz - Cardiff student rep

Hi there,

I would echo the advice above. Picking up on previous feedback definitely allows you improve your writing.

If possible, you could also try to get in touch with your seminar leader to get some advice on your coursework. (Some seminar leaders are fine with this, others may not allow it. However, I would still recommend asking for advice, as any information that they give will be vital to achieving good marks in your assignment.

I hope this helps.
Chloe
University of Kent Student Rep
Reply 4
To get a distinction on an assessment, you need to make sure you meet all of the assessment criteria to a high standard - so the first thing to do is read through the assessment criteria to make sure you are meeting all of those. Then, when you get your first graded piece back, see how close/far you are from the distinction boundary. Let's say you fall short of a distinction, the advice is going to be different if you are within, say, 5% or much further off. That's when the feedback comes into play - where are you falling short and how will you address that. Distinction quality work is usually strong across the board - good attention to detail, plenty of evidence, good choice of illustrative examples, uses sources well and references them correctly, proof-read and written in an appropriate style, etc etc.

Hi @Alicew199684 ,

As others have said, I would say that looking at previous marks is really important. Look at the feedback you were given and try and apply this in future assignments. You could also speak to your tutor if you need clarification on any feedback that you have been given and they should be able to explain this to you and show you how you could improve.

I would also say to see if there are any study skills sessions available at the library. At Hallam, there are courses that you can do which focus on referencing, critical writing, wider reading etc so check and see if anything like this is available to you as they are really helpful and improve your work.

I hope this helps,
Lucy -SHU student ambassador
Reply 6
Well I just received my first graded assignment back!...... DISTINCTION! Very pleased 😁😁😁😁 thank you all. Nice little encouragement to begin with.
Well I just received my first graded assignment back!...... DISTINCTION! Very pleased 😁😁😁😁 thank you all. Nice little encouragement to begin with.

Hi @Alicew199684 ,

Congratulations!! That is amazing news :smile:

Make sure to take some time to celebrate and relax then take a look at the feedback so you know where your strengths are.

Have a happy holiday!

Alia
University of Kent Student Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending