The Student Room Group

Btec business unit 6 Principles of management exam 2024

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Stuaccount122
Cheers! maybe email? kejib21@gmail .com

Not sure if someone else has, so I've sent you Part A!
Hey! I've found some notes on studocu, btecbusinessnotes and stuvia. Has anyone bought notes from these websites before?
Original post by Sirtn.17
“faulty rides do not mean that the staff will feel unsafe”

If you were working around faulty equipment how would that make you feel? Would you feel safe?

the rides are not going to break off and fall on the staff's head.
the case study states that the rides were not working, and they broke down (meaning that they stopped working) due to absence of maintenance staff; the main point that you can get from this and speak about in the case study to actually get marks, is by speaking about how this affects the customer satisfaction, not the staff. the staff being absent are the CAUSE of the rides breaking down, and the EFFECT of this is that customer satisfaction decreases
Original post by ghostin.777
the case study states that the rides were not working, and they broke down (meaning that they stopped working) due to absence of maintenance staff; the main point that you can get from this and speak about in the case study to actually get marks, is by speaking about how this affects the customer satisfaction, not the staff. the staff being absent are the CAUSE of the rides breaking down, and the EFFECT of this is that customer satisfaction decreases

you dont think faulty rides will make employees feel unsafe?
Reply 24

Firstly, I'm not sure why you're getting overly defensive about this, this forum is supposed to be a discussion about the case study, and not a fierce debate between different interpretations. Secondly, I feel it's needed that I provide a full explanation to ensure that other students are not misled by your inability to comprehend the case study. The case study mentions that due to the shortage of maintenance employees and employees ignoring safety checks, there have been many faults and closures. The staff even mention that they're concerned with the SAFETY of the rides due to reduced maintenance and inspections. Therefore, there are two logical conclusions: The first, is that customer satisfaction will decline, because as rides are often not in operation during peak times, this causes customers to have a poor experience (cannot go on the rides they want, large queues), you can also mention the impact on sales revenue, profit and ranking here. Another valid conclusion, is that staff likely feel less safe, as (imagine yourself) working around heavy metal rides, if you know that inspections and maintenance is being avoided, you will be anxious of faults and at risk of injury (this is explicitly mentioned by the staff in the bullet points of Steven and Sam's meeting, where staff are 'concerned' about safety), therefore, as staff have safety concerns (for themselves and customers), the 'safety' tier of Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs is not met as the working environment is clearly unsafe for all stakeholders at the park (if you can't comprehend this then I cannot help you), you can expand on this, and explore the impact on motivation, employee satisfaction & labour turnover. Lastly, your remark about getting marks in the case study by only talking about customer's and not staff is simply untrue, if there is a logical conclusion and theory you can bring in, you will absolutely achieve marks regardless of the stakeholder mentioned.
Reply 25
Firstly, I'm not sure why you're getting overly defensive about this, this forum is supposed to be a discussion about the case study, and not a fierce debate between different interpretations. Secondly, I feel it's needed that I provide a full explanation to ensure that other students are not misled by your inability to comprehend the case study. The case study mentions that due to the shortage of maintenance employees and employees ignoring safety checks, there have been many faults and closures. The staff even mention that they're concerned with the SAFETY of the rides due to reduced maintenance and inspections. Therefore, there are two logical conclusions: The first, is that customer satisfaction will decline, because as rides are often not in operation during peak times, this causes customers to have a poor experience (cannot go on the rides they want, large queues), you can also mention the impact on sales revenue, profit and ranking here. Another valid conclusion, is that staff likely feel less safe, as (imagine yourself) working around heavy metal rides, if you know that inspections and maintenance is being avoided, you will be anxious of faults and at risk of injury (this is explicitly mentioned by the staff in the bullet points of Steven and Sam's meeting, where staff are 'concerned' about safety), therefore, as staff have safety concerns (for themselves and customers), the 'safety' tier of Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs is not met as the working environment is clearly unsafe for all stakeholders at the park (if you can't comprehend this then I cannot help you), you can expand on this, and explore the impact on motivation, employee satisfaction & labour turnover. Lastly, your remark about getting marks in the case study by only talking about customer's and not staff is simply untrue, if there is a logical conclusion and theory you can bring in, you will absolutely achieve marks regardless of the stakeholder mentioned.

I completely agree with you here as it links to one of their main business goals of increasing customer satisfaction. So the context given about the faulty rides concord with the data about the falling customer satisfaction figures provided !
Original post by hello8727
Not sure if someone else has, so I've sent you Part A!

hi can u send me too please? xoghcr@gmail .com
(edited 4 months ago)
can someone please send me the part A pre-release copy, thanks xoghcr@gmail .com

Could you send me your part a notes so I can compare mine and see the differences as a way of support
Reply 29
Original post by dwboutmynameaigh
Hi! I've already started annotating mine but I'll ask a classmate to send me a picture of theirs. How would you like me to send it?

if you could can you send it to me aswell
Reply 30
i dont think u can because im pretty sure the graph is supposed to indicate the decrease in profits from since Nina became manager, and how her management style has affected the profitability of the business

I think there will be a notification from the exam board that COVID should be ignored!! There is no mention of it in the case study.... and the figures don't suggest any form of closure.
Original post by leongpy
hi, my unit 6 tutor said that you should be focusing on Blake mouton, John Adair, Herzberg and McGregor.

wait whose blake mouton ?
Original post by hanns.0611
Hey! I've found some notes on studocu, btecbusinessnotes and stuvia. Has anyone bought notes from these websites before?

I haven't used studocu but last year I bought from stuvia for the marketing exam (exam example) and it was pretty decent. Bought notes from btecbusinessnotes on the Saxon case study today and I'd say they're useful. I'd recommend looking at other threads to see if anyone has experience with them
wait whose blake mouton ?

just searched him up and there's no way he's in the unit 6 content, never seen that before
Original post by leongpy
hi, my unit 6 tutor said that you should be focusing on Blake mouton, John Adair, Herzberg and McGregor.

I think Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs is the most important as you can analyse how Nina's changes impacted the model
does anyone know how to figure out the labour turnover rate? ive sat here trying to work it out but with 20% being managerial and maintenance i cant figure out the full amount of staff? thanks.
Original post by Charlmae02
does anyone know how to figure out the labour turnover rate? ive sat here trying to work it out but with 20% being managerial and maintenance i cant figure out the full amount of staff? thanks.

It doesn’t mention the Labour turnover rate of management/maintenance staff so assuming that rate is zero, multiply the Labour turnover rate of temporary staff by 0.80 as they make up 80% of the workforce. For example in 2022-23, the Labour turnover rate for temp staff was 67%, you do 67% * 0.8 which is 53.6%.

Yes, the faulty rides come under quality management; however, the faulty rides do not mean that the staff will feel unsafe, it will mean that the customers will feel unsafe, increasing the likelihood of them going to rivals in the industry such as Thorpe Park, who provide quality assurance.

The only reason that staff will not feel safe is because Nina removed the accommodation, therefore defying maslows hierarchy of needs; removing their physiological means that they will not be able to progress to the next stage of maslows hierarchy, which is the safety needs.

and yes, nina removing the social activities does mean that staff may feel a lessened sense of belonging and this also relates to mayos human relation theory and maslows hierarchy of needs.

I’m pretty sure that anyone would feel u safe if the roller coaster next to them was faulty
Original post by Charlmae02

formula for turnover rate:

(amount of people leaving the business ÷ total amount of people employed) x100

but does the case study even mention how many people are working in the business?
Original post by jmtboow
I think there will be a notification from the exam board that COVID should be ignored!! There is no mention of it in the case study.... and the figures don't suggest any form of closure.

so my teacher said that you can talk about covid, but it also depends on the actual question u get on the day of the exam, like u can bring up covid in ur exam, but dont bother wasting too much time writing about it, because for example, if the question is about functions of leadership, then its not worth too much marks, but if for example, the question is about quality management, you can say covid affected the business's profits which has an impact on the level of quality that SF will be able to provide to consumers

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending