The Student Room Group

College Course

Hi, I am currently applying to colleges and am in year 11 and am wanting to work in the NHS as either a doctor or nurse. I am more looking towards being a doctor though but like the more close relationship the nurses get with the patients. I am struggling picking a course to take for college I am currently looking between:

Alevels: Psychology, Biology and Chemistry
Health and Social Care BTEC
Or Applied Science BTEC

I think the applied science would be useful as some universities take that on medicine courses especially foundation years but could also work for nursing but would be hard to attain a spot on the course if I was to choose medicine. The reason I am looking at applied science is due to my current physical and mental health struggles so both getting on and managing alevels at the moment may be a struggle.
(edited 3 months ago)
Original post by LewisDoherty
Hi, I am currently applying to colleges and am in year 11 and am wanting to work in the NHS as either a doctor or nurse. I am more looking towards being a doctor though but like the more close relationship the nurses get with the patients. I am struggling picking a course to take for college I am currently looking between:

Or Applied Science BTEC

I think the applied science would be useful as some universities take that on medicine courses especially foundation years but could also work for nursing but would be hard to attain a spot on the course if I was to choose medicine. The reason I am looking at applied science is due to my current physical and mental health struggles so both getting on and managing alevels at the moment may be a struggle.

If you want to do medicine the first option is the only realistic choice. It would also be perfectly fine for applying to nursing. Note that medicine with foundation year courses usually require you to meet specific widening participation/contextual criteria and are not generally for those who did the "wrong" subjects (with a couple of exceptions, although they I believe are more targeted at A-level students doing non-science subjects).

Also there are medical specialties that develop longer term relationships with patients (i.e. those treating chronic conditions where the same patients will come back over time - also in theory GP where you may be serving a local community and get to know the patients there over a lifespan, although I gather due to demands on the NHS it's less typical these days to be the "village GP" type I think?). Not sure how close a relationship nurses can really build with patients these days either - I get the impression nurses are chronically understaffed and hospitals rammed with patients constantly so they are having to juggle a ton of patients and jobs every day in a lot of ward-based roles? While in A&E nursing I gather you don't really end up with any continuity of care with patients.

As to your current health situation and which is best for you, only you can make that decision. However I think realistically either of the BTEC options will rule out medicine at least initially - you would probably need to take a gap year at least to do additional A-levels or similar in most cases, unless you meet widening participation criteria for foundation year courses (which are also still extremely competitive).
Reply 2
Original post by artful_lounger

If you want to do medicine the first option is the only realistic choice. It would also be perfectly fine for applying to nursing. Note that medicine with foundation year courses usually require you to meet specific widening participation/contextual criteria and are not generally for those who did the "wrong" subjects (with a couple of exceptions, although they I believe are more targeted at A-level students doing non-science subjects).

Also there are medical specialties that develop longer term relationships with patients (i.e. those treating chronic conditions where the same patients will come back over time - also in theory GP where you may be serving a local community and get to know the patients there over a lifespan, although I gather due to demands on the NHS it's less typical these days to be the "village GP" type I think?). Not sure how close a relationship nurses can really build with patients these days either - I get the impression nurses are chronically understaffed and hospitals rammed with patients constantly so they are having to juggle a ton of patients and jobs every day in a lot of ward-based roles? While in A&E nursing I gather you don't really end up with any continuity of care with patients.

As to your current health situation and which is best for you, only you can make that decision. However I think realistically either of the BTEC options will rule out medicine at least initially - you would probably need to take a gap year at least to do additional A-levels or similar in most cases, unless you meet widening participation criteria for foundation year courses (which are also still extremely competitive).

Yes I meet the widening criteria for the foundation/gateway year courses.

I’m not currently sure on my speciality but would possibly like oncology, A&E or Inpatient Psychiatrist. But I also know about the development you can go through as a nurse to become an ANP and be able to care for your own patients.

Or Applied Science BTEC

Hi Lewis , write directly to universities to get their policies . There are many ways to become a doctor - depends on your timeline and how much you want to invest in it . For instance , if you get a nursing degree , that will put you in a great position to excel in a medicine course . Medicine is quite competitive but don't let that put you off . The A levels are expected to be in the highest scores . However if you can put relevant work experience in your application that will go some way to make up for slightly less grades . Medicine is very intense with a lot of memory e work . Getting on an access course will put you in a better position to get entry as universities allocate specific numbers for them.
Yes I meet the widening criteria for the foundation/gateway year courses.

I’m not currently sure on my speciality but would possibly like oncology, A&E or Inpatient Psychiatrist. But I also know about the development you can go through as a nurse to become an ANP and be able to care for your own patients.

Well the widening participation schemes also are for those taking the requisite A-level subjects (sometimes they require that even) but usually don't require as high grades as the standard entry. I'd still realistically recommend aiming for the A-levels then if medicine is your goal, unless you are completely certain you can't get Bs at least in the exams. In which case do consider your ability to perform in exams in medical school and afterwards.

In terms of specialty that wasn't indicating you need to make that decision now (in fact you shouldn't really! As no matter what you need to cover the whole of medicine for the course of the medical degree and also for the foundation programme at least), but illustrating that some do have longer term patient relationships than others (notably though out of those you indicated, A&E I gather doesn't?). So doctors do develop patient relationships (and some nurses may not so much!).

Or Applied Science BTEC

Have you considered becoming a therapeutic radiographer (also known as a radiotherapist)? This involves the treatment of cancer patients and, depending on the type of cancer, it is an area where you do build patient relationships as patients return frequently for treatment over a period of weeks. The job also has one of the better shift patterns in the NHS - usually between 8 am and 6 pm Monday to Friday. It's a three-year degree and entry requirements average around three Bs at A level including one science. BTEC extended diplomas in Applied Science or Health and Social Care are usually accepted.

https://www.healthcareers.nhs.uk/explore-roles/allied-health-professionals/roles-allied-health-professions/roles-allied-health-professions/therapeutic-radiographer

https://www.shu.ac.uk/courses/radiotherapy-and-oncology/bsc-honours-radiotherapy-and-oncology/full-time/2024

https://www.liverpool.ac.uk/courses/2024/therapeutic-radiography-and-oncology-bsc-hons

Quick Reply

Latest