The Student Room Group

Extenuating Circumstances Claim

Hi all, I am writing this post to ask about my chances of being accepted for an extenuating circumstances claim that I am planning to make to my University. A bit of a brief background: I suffer from anxiety and depression, and have recently been prescribed sertraline to help mitigate these symptoms. In the past, I have been prescribed medication but did not take it as a way of trying to sabotage myself due to how I was feeling. However, this time around, I have started to take my medication responsibly and sensibly.

My anxiety and depression have flared up massively over the past few weeks and I am not too sure why. I have been taking medication but I presume that the dosage is not high enough for me. I have also been suffering from bad physical side effects from the medication. Throughout this process, I have been in correspondence with my University Health GP and have been prescribed a higher dosage

I am asking what my chances would be of deferring some of my winter assessments to the summer period. My university offers a policy whereby students can defer their assessments and sit them uncapped (even if they have already been submitted) if there are sufficient personal circumstances. My doctors would be able to provide medical evidence.

Another stressful fact is that my department will not be having panel meetings to discuss extenuating circumstances applicants until the middle of January. This has caused me so much stress as I do not want to apply and then get rejected as I think this would gravely impact me. But I simply cannot produce the work required due to my condition. Thank you to all those advising
Reply 1
You have a good case on the face of things, especially given that you've been trying to get things sorted and have had a recent change in dosage.

In our place, you'd have to apply the week before the exams, but this is not a policy at every institution - it's worth getting the claim in and might even be worth a talk with your personal tutor/academic advisor to loop them in, too.

I always caveat this stuff by saying it's not 100% that claims will be accepted, but I've had a number of students in yoyr position and never known any to be rejected :smile:
Original post by Anonymous #1
Hi all, I am writing this post to ask about my chances of being accepted for an extenuating circumstances claim that I am planning to make to my University. A bit of a brief background: I suffer from anxiety and depression, and have recently been prescribed sertraline to help mitigate these symptoms. In the past, I have been prescribed medication but did not take it as a way of trying to sabotage myself due to how I was feeling. However, this time around, I have started to take my medication responsibly and sensibly.

My anxiety and depression have flared up massively over the past few weeks and I am not too sure why. I have been taking medication but I presume that the dosage is not high enough for me. I have also been suffering from bad physical side effects from the medication. Throughout this process, I have been in correspondence with my University Health GP and have been prescribed a higher dosage

I am asking what my chances would be of deferring some of my winter assessments to the summer period. My university offers a policy whereby students can defer their assessments and sit them uncapped (even if they have already been submitted) if there are sufficient personal circumstances. My doctors would be able to provide medical evidence.

Another stressful fact is that my department will not be having panel meetings to discuss extenuating circumstances applicants until the middle of January. This has caused me so much stress as I do not want to apply and then get rejected as I think this would gravely impact me. But I simply cannot produce the work required due to my condition. Thank you to all those advising

Hi there,

Sorry to hear you are going through this. It is definitely worth asking as they may be able to help you with this. I would also suggest talking to your tutors and academic advisor as this is also something that they may able to help with.

If you talk to your academic advisor, they may have a better idea of the chance of it being accepted for you.

I hope this helps,
Lucy -SHU student ambassador.
Reply 3
Original post by gjd800
You have a good case on the face of things, especially given that you've been trying to get things sorted and have had a recent change in dosage.

In our place, you'd have to apply the week before the exams, but this is not a policy at every institution - it's worth getting the claim in and might even be worth a talk with your personal tutor/academic advisor to loop them in, too.

I always caveat this stuff by saying it's not 100% that claims will be accepted, but I've had a number of students in yoyr position and never known any to be rejected :smile:

Thank you so much for your response 🙂 I am currently a first year (to provide more context). My only worry is that one of the assessments (an online assessment worth 30% of the module grade) has already been completed. However, I was suffering with very bad medicine side effects when completing this assessment, which meant that I did not perform to the best of my ability at all. However, my University states that NA is most of the time only awarded if you haven’t submitted the work or have failed it.

It is therefore a consideration of whether or not this assessment would likely warrant a NA. I do understand that it was out of my control and luckily I have a 70% exam for it in the summer, which I will have to try and get 75% in to push the grade up to a 1.1. I complete a quantitative course so hopefully that would not be too far out of reach if I completed the necessary preparation.

With the second assessment (an essay), I have not submitted this and do not think that I would be able to due to my extenuating circumstances.

Luckily I have medical evidence to support both claims but it is the not knowing that also really increases my state of anxiety. I haven’t discussed it with my parents either as they are both very academically geared. They would understand my situation with mental health, but say it’s better to just get the work over and done with. Which is all well and good to say, but if I physically and mentally cannot complete it right now then there is not much that can be done.
Reply 4
Original post by ?Hannah?
Thank you so much for your response 🙂 I am currently a first year (to provide more context). My only worry is that one of the assessments (an online assessment worth 30% of the module grade) has already been completed. However, I was suffering with very bad medicine side effects when completing this assessment, which meant that I did not perform to the best of my ability at all. However, my University states that NA is most of the time only awarded if you haven’t submitted the work or have failed it.

It is therefore a consideration of whether or not this assessment would likely warrant a NA. I do understand that it was out of my control and luckily I have a 70% exam for it in the summer, which I will have to try and get 75% in to push the grade up to a 1.1. I complete a quantitative course so hopefully that would not be too far out of reach if I completed the necessary preparation.

With the second assessment (an essay), I have not submitted this and do not think that I would be able to due to my extenuating circumstances.

Luckily I have medical evidence to support both claims but it is the not knowing that also really increases my state of anxiety. I haven’t discussed it with my parents either as they are both very academically geared. They would understand my situation with mental health, but say it’s better to just get the work over and done with. Which is all well and good to say, but if I physically and mentally cannot complete it right now then there is not much that can be done.

You know your regulations better than I do, but it's worth having a word anyway. Retrospective MCs are hard to get approved but it isn't impossible.

With that said, making sure that you get them in for the 'big' assessment, is probably the most important thing.

I understand your parents' position, but you are right that sometimes real life doesn't work that way. There is no shame in going down the MC route - the process is there to help you achieve what you could achieve if the playing field were totally level for you. I do think having a quick talk with student support or your ac advisor might help assuage your worries.
Reply 5
Original post by gjd800
You know your regulations better than I do, but it's worth having a word anyway. Retrospective MCs are hard to get approved but it isn't impossible.

With that said, making sure that you get them in for the 'big' assessment, is probably the most important thing.

I understand your parents' position, but you are right that sometimes real life doesn't work that way. There is no shame in going down the MC route - the process is there to help you achieve what you could achieve if the playing field were totally level for you. I do think having a quick talk with student support or your ac advisor might help assuage your worries.

Hi there, thank you for your support with this. I have since submitted the claim and am waiting for a response from the department. I said the following:

Hi there

Sorry to hear about all the circumstances you are going through. I hope things improve for you soon.
I think you are likely to be successful in claiming extenuating circumstances with your University since you are able to provide medical evidence for your conditions.

Good luck.
Chloe
University of Kent Student Rep

Hi! Although it does seem like you have a good case for an EC claim, you can ask for reassurance from the university on how the process works by contacting your university’s student services. To support your claim, you could also get in touch with the university’s Well-being Services to show that you’re willing to engage with support to help you complete your studies.

I hope this helps!

Estelle
Third Year Psychology
University of Huddersfield

Hi there,

I'm sorry to read this. If you can get evidence from your doctor, from my understanding, universities would offer extenuating circumstances to students who have been unable to complete the work to the best of their abilities, for an unexpected reason, outside of their control. If you have a tutor or member of staff that you feel comfortable with, it may also help to reach out to them for support and more information.

I hope this helps.

All the best,
Jaz - Cardiff student rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending