The Student Room Group

How hard was it to get a 9?

Just want to know really. I got 5 9s out of my 10 GCSEs and a lot of my friends got at least one so I am a bit confused as I thought it was meant to be very hard, yet so many people have one.
Original post by Goldfish4343
Just want to know really. I got 5 9s out of my 10 GCSEs and a lot of my friends got at least one so I am a bit confused as I thought it was meant to be very hard, yet so many people have one.

That's amazing, well done.

Around the top 2-4% got a 9. For English Language it was 2% I believe.
Original post by dvx
That's amazing, well done.

Around the top 2-4% got a 9. For English Language it was 2% I believe.

Thank you :smile:

So that isn't a lot of people then considering the number of people entered, but obviously it depends on the subject.
Only 4% of all grades printed were 9s.
Reply 4
I also got 5 and quite a few of my friends got between 1 and 5 9s
Original post by tetigot
I also got 5 and quite a few of my friends got between 1 and 5 9s

Well done - what did you get in the rest of ur subjects? was it hard to get 5
To be honest I revised English Literature (I got a 9 in this) two-three days before the exam, was really surprised to see a 9, I thought it would be a 6. So based on my personal experience it didn't seem hard based on the work I did.
I think it partially depends on the subject - e.g at my school lots of people got 9s in english, but only one person in maths.. a lot of it is how a particular subject is taught in my opinion (like how inspiring the teacher is, how much pressure they put on you, and the quality of their teaching). This meant that it seemed easy to get a 9 in english, if you get me, when really we just had a great english department. Not sure if something similar happened with you, though :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by Mosope17
Well done - what did you get in the rest of ur subjects? was it hard to get 5

Thank you, I also got 3 8s an a* and 2 6s
Was it hard? Well I was aiming for two at most so was pleasantly surprised.
I got ten 9s :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by Goldfish4343

I got four 9s (out of 9 subjects) in Chemistry, Biology, Physics and Maths. The rate for a grade 7-9 is around 20% of all entries. Of these 20% awarded a grade 7-9, 20% of these are awarded a 9, with the other 80% of students receiving a grade 7-9 getting a 7 or 8 (8 is set at the midpoint of the 7 and 9 boundary by the way). Hence, 20% multiplied by 20% gives around 4% of people that should receive a grade 9. This year, it was a touch higher at just over this.

My school with 250 students in year 11 got 12 grade 9s in total, 4 of these were my own, 4 of these were another one of my friends in exactly the same subjects as me, 1 was another on of my friends in maths and 1 was another of my friends in English. The other two were in art. Perhaps it could just be coincidence that your friends got at least one, or that people often have a tendency to form friendships with others of a level of intelligence near their own.

Well done on your results!
Personally, I know my school got at least 16 grade 9s, and I go to a pretty mediocre state school. It seemed like lots of people got a couple of them but to be fair, they’re all in the top set classes and there’s 250 people in my year.

Out of those 16 total grade 9s, one person got 5, another got 4 (me), and another got 3. Ironically, we’re the three who have TSR accounts.
Original post by username2899906
So you posted this 5 years ago, but I wanted to put an input now because I've heard that grade boundaries always go up. I haven't sat my GCSEs but I have done my mocks in which I scored seven 9s, two 8s and a 7. So that's alright but I felt like it was too easy as getting over 75% in some tests was a 9. And lots of people do get 9s but even more get 6s and 7s. And almost nobody gets more than five 9s really. So, its easy to get a 9 in one subject but its only a flex to colleges when you get them in multiple

Quick Reply

Latest