The Student Room Group

Art teaching (Art PGCE)

Hi, I have a background in Art and Philosophy and am considering a PGCE...in Art.

Would anyone be willing to share their experience of teaching secondary Art? What was the PGCE experience like? Is Art subject to the same trials and tribulations as History, English, Maths (i.e. any other subject)?

I imagine it involves less paperwork (less marking, preparation, etc.) than many other subjects.
Am I grossly mistaken?
Reply 1
Original post by bcramer15
Hi, I have a background in Art and Philosophy and am considering a PGCE...in Art.
Would anyone be willing to share their experience of teaching secondary Art? What was the PGCE experience like? Is Art subject to the same trials and tribulations as History, English, Maths (i.e. any other subject)?
I imagine it involves less paperwork (less marking, preparation, etc.) than many other subjects.
Am I grossly mistaken?

Anyone out there?
I'm not an art teacher, but I am a food tech teacher, and my ECT mentor is the head of art and photography.

You are grossly mistaken about less paperwork as your KS4 students have coursework you have to plan and mark, which takes a lot of time - it's that time of year, and our department is very on the edge 🤣

I was with the art PGCE cohort a lot at my uni as we got bundled together for lectures and seminars. The year will differ depending on how your uni or training company structures it. Mine was two weeks in uni to start before placement 1, and I was then in uni every Friday. Then, in uni for a week in January before starting placement 2, then in uni some Fridays. Fridays were SKE lessons; for me, that was up in the uni's kitchens, practising practical lessons and topping up our food science knowledge. I'm assuming art went off to be arty 🤪

In the schools I've worked in, Art was always on a carousel, alternating with other subjects after xx weeks or a term for KS3. Also, be prepared for people to assume "it's just drawing" and expect to teach mixed ability classes - that is one way the DT subjects are usually very different to core subjects; they're not in sets, so you can have everything from not knowing what a pencil is to the next De Vinci in your class and you have to be able to support them at the same time - even at GCSE.

You may also be expected to teach some DT or Food Tech, depending on your timetable and department structure. My mentor teaches a lesson of engineering every week and a reading lesson to fill her timetable.

Hope this helps, at least as something until an Artie comes along.
Reply 3
Original post by ChammyFTT
I'm not an art teacher, but I am a food tech teacher, and my ECT mentor is the head of art and photography.
You are grossly mistaken about less paperwork as your KS4 students have coursework you have to plan and mark, which takes a lot of time - it's that time of year, and our department is very on the edge 🤣
I was with the art PGCE cohort a lot at my uni as we got bundled together for lectures and seminars. The year will differ depending on how your uni or training company structures it. Mine was two weeks in uni to start before placement 1, and I was then in uni every Friday. Then, in uni for a week in January before starting placement 2, then in uni some Fridays. Fridays were SKE lessons; for me, that was up in the uni's kitchens, practising practical lessons and topping up our food science knowledge. I'm assuming art went off to be arty 🤪
In the schools I've worked in, Art was always on a carousel, alternating with other subjects after xx weeks or a term for KS3. Also, be prepared for people to assume "it's just drawing" and expect to teach mixed ability classes - that is one way the DT subjects are usually very different to core subjects; they're not in sets, so you can have everything from not knowing what a pencil is to the next De Vinci in your class and you have to be able to support them at the same time - even at GCSE.
You may also be expected to teach some DT or Food Tech, depending on your timetable and department structure. My mentor teaches a lesson of engineering every week and a reading lesson to fill her timetable.
Hope this helps, at least as something until an Artie comes along.

Thank you for your reply!

Are there any Art teachers on here?
Original post by bcramer15
Am I grossly mistaken?

Hello @bcramer15

Art teacher here! I trained in Design and Technology, but became a HOD for Art later in my career, and had taught some A-Level Art on my first teaching practice placement during my initial teacher education.

The best thing I'd suggest you do, is spend a little time in the classroom. I can tell you what it was all like only on my teacher training course and in my schools. As all schools are hugely different, it's worth dipping your toe in and getting some first-hand evidence for you to make a decision about if teaching is for you.

Get an adviser, and we'll help you get some time in schools.

All the best, Jane

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending