The Student Room Group

Advice on what universities to apply for maths and statistics or just maths.

My predicted grades are BBB, in the a levels: Maths, Further Maths and Computer Science. These are however not a good representation of my ability due to mental health issues and as a result low attendance (Added to my reference to let unis know). In contrast My GCSE Grades are however stronger being 998888766 with the 9s and 8s being in STEM subject and I've drastically changed my grades by catching up on all missed content with the most recent mocks averaging As to A*s.

With this I'm wondering what universities to apply for as I'm almost done with my personal statement now. I know Queen Mary will be one of them but I'm not sure on the others I've thought about UON, Loughborough and York.

My personal Statement is somewhat strong with work experience with JP Morgan, further reading, Volunteering at a coding club for 30+ hours, NCS, UKMT.

Any Help would be greatly Appreciated.
Original post by distill32
My predicted grades are BBB, in the a levels: Maths, Further Maths and Computer Science. These are however not a good representation of my ability due to mental health issues and as a result low attendance (Added to my reference to let unis know). In contrast My GCSE Grades are however stronger being 998888766 with the 9s and 8s being in STEM subject and I've drastically changed my grades by catching up on all missed content with the most recent mocks averaging As to A*s.

With this I'm wondering what universities to apply for as I'm almost done with my personal statement now. I know Queen Mary will be one of them but I'm not sure on the others I've thought about UON, Loughborough and York.

My personal Statement is somewhat strong with work experience with JP Morgan, further reading, Volunteering at a coding club for 30+ hours, NCS, UKMT.

You are applying to AAA universities with BBB predictions. The likelhood is you will get rejected.

Whether universities will accept your extenuating circumstances only they can tell but the reality is that you are likely to be rejected.

As far as your GCSE and personal statements are concerned it isnt going to make up for your low predictions.

Applying to 4 universities where you dont meet the entry requirements is extremely risky and would best be avoided. Students who do this often end up with no offers. The general advice is 1 or 2 universities above your predictions, 2 or 3 at your predictions and 1 below and that is where you should be looking. The ones above should be 1 grade above and not in a key subject. You are below on Maths which is your key subject.

You basically have 2 choices. Apply to 1 or 2 at ABB which doesnt require a grade A Maths, 2 or 3 at BBB and 1 lower. The other option is to apply with your actual results either in the summer or after a gap year.

If your results are then better than your predictions then you might get accepted.
Reply 2
Extenuating circumstances only come into play in August - ie. if you just missed your offer grades this might be taken into account. It does not mean that any Uni will ignore your predicted grades - which are always positive/optimistic rather than realistic - they are not likely to make you an offer if your predicted grades are that far below the entry requirements.

My advice would be to not apply to Uni this year. Work your socks off to get the best grades you can - really work. Then apply for Uni next year with known grades - which means you can target Unis that are asking fir your grades. And you would also have 12 months to get well enough to cope with Uni.
Reply 3
Great advice from @mcginger so I won’t repeat it. One query - how do you manage to get a prediction of B in both maths and FM? Not saying it’s impossible but would be unusual.

Which universities / types Of environment and courses do you fancy? That might allow people to make suggestions.

You need to be quick with getting the mocks, get those predicted grades up. With your most recent mocks averaging A/A* I'd be surprised if your predicted grades stay the same. You have a chance of increasing the predicted grades.

I would say Newcastle (ABB with B in FM, A in Math), Sheffield (A in math, B in FM, ABB), Liverpool (ABB). If I were you I'd choose Newcastle as one of them, they are changing the course to make it more reputable, actual real analysis course in 1st year maybe even 1st semester.

What did you get for UKMT?

But yes, I think you could make it to Newcastle/Liverpool/Sheffield. If I were you, I'd pick Newcastle as one of the choices. Cheap, and not too bad.
(edited 4 months ago)
Original post by ActiveEccentric
You need to be quick with getting the mocks, get those predicted grades up. With your most recent mocks averaging A/A* I'd be surprised if your predicted grades stay the same. You have a chance of increasing the predicted grades.

I would say Newcastle (ABB with B in FM, A in Math), Sheffield (A in math, B in FM, ABB), Liverpool (ABB). If I were you I'd choose Newcastle as one of them, they are changing the course to make it more reputable, actual real analysis course in 1st year maybe even 1st semester.

But yes, I think you could make it to Newcastle/Liverpool/Sheffield. If I were you, I'd pick Newcastle as one of the choices. Cheap, and not too bad.

The difficulty OP is going to have is that they require grade A in Maths for Newcastle and Sheffield and OP is predicted a B. This makes it likely they will be rejected and is extremely risky. Having 1 or 2 a grade below is fine as long as there are others less risky. Waiting until January to apply is sensible if OP can change predicted grades. Once an application is made predicted grades cannot be changed.

What isnt being taken account is that 75% of students dont reach their predicted grades and most of the ones who exceed them usually exceed by 1 grade in 1 subject not 3.
(edited 4 months ago)
Reply 6
Original post by ajj2000
Great advice from @mcginger so I won’t repeat it. One query - how do you manage to get a prediction of B in both maths and FM? Not saying it’s impossible but would be unusual.

Which universities / types Of environment and courses do you fancy? That might allow people to make suggestions.

I achieved the same grade in both the maths and further maths mocks in year 12 for the papers
Do you genuinely believe that you will exceed your maths and fm predictions?

Options to consider:

Southampton
QMUL
Surrey
Manchester
Reply 9
Original post by ActiveEccentric

I got 80 in the UKMT, and my school wont up my predicted grades even with my recent mock scores, and the next set starts on the 15th of January which is also my schools deadline for sending our application.
Reply 10
Original post by PQ
Do you genuinely believe that you will exceed your maths and fm predictions?

Absolutely, I've worked constantly since receiving my predicted grades in October, revising topics, making sure all missed content is caught up on, all questions in my textbook, past papers. I'd be extremely surprised If I didn't achieve higher in my real exams.
Absolutely, I've worked constantly since receiving my predicted grades in October, revising topics, making sure all missed content is caught up on, all questions in my textbook, past papers. I'd be extremely surprised If I didn't achieve higher in my real exams.

The reality of the situation is your teachers dont believe you will achieve better grades or they would predict them. It isnt in a schools interest to under predict. Schools want their students in the best universities they can get into as it looks better on the school. This is why 75% dont achieve predicted grades.

Doing well in school tests isnt the same as achieving top grades in exam conditions. Have top GCSE grades doesnt necessarily mean a student will achieve high A level grades. There are many whose grades are nowhere as good in A levels as they were in GCSE and vice versa.

You have the opinion you will achieve top grades like so many on here but the reality is most dont increase them. Teachers have experience of how previous cohorts have fared and are therefore far more able to make judgements than you.

None of this alters the fact that you are predicted BBB and are applying to AAA universities. The only information universities have to go on is your predicted grades and applying with 3 grades below and not predicted the correct grade in the critical subject is almost certainly going lead to rejections.

If as you believe you will achieve higher grades you need to apply when you have those grades. Mc Gingers advice is certainly right and gives you more time to recover from your illness before you start the extra pressure of a degree.

Most top Maths universities require at east A*AA and sometimes higher and other than the top dozen or so most Maths course end up in clearing.
Reply 12
Could you apply next year with achieved grades?
Reply 13
Original post by swanseajack1
The reality of the situation is your teachers dont believe you will achieve better grades or they would predict them. It isnt in a schools interest to under predict. Schools want their students in the best universities they can get into as it looks better on the school. This is why 75% dont achieve predicted grades.

Doing well in school tests isnt the same as achieving top grades in exam conditions. Have top GCSE grades doesnt necessarily mean a student will achieve high A level grades. There are many whose grades are nowhere as good in A levels as they were in GCSE and vice versa.

You have the opinion you will achieve top grades like so many on here but the reality is most dont increase them. Teachers have experience of how previous cohorts have fared and are therefore far more able to make judgements than you.

None of this alters the fact that you are predicted BBB and are applying to AAA universities. The only information universities have to go on is your predicted grades and applying with 3 grades below and not predicted the correct grade in the critical subject is almost certainly going lead to rejections.

If as you believe you will achieve higher grades you need to apply when you have those grades. Mc Gingers advice is certainly right and gives you more time to recover from your illness before you start the extra pressure of a degree.

Most top Maths universities require at east A*AA and sometimes higher and other than the top dozen or so most Maths course end up in clearing.

Yeah, I have a plan B in mind. Lets say you are correct because at the end of the day I can't guarantee my grades when I sit them. So I have a school leaver internship with JP Morgan which I got into thanks to connections made at work experience which I could do in a gap year, and best case scenario I do better than my predicted grades and can go on to apply for 2025 entry. I've found a few options and some advice on them would be helpful. https://ibb.co/M6ZkDw8
(edited 4 months ago)
Yeah, I have a plan B in mind. Lets say you are correct because at the end of the day I can't guarantee my grades when I sit them. So I have a school leaver internship with JP Morgan which I got into thanks to connections made at work experience which I could do in a gap year, and best case scenario I do better than my predicted grades and can go on to apply for 2025 entry. I've found a few options and some advice on them would be helpful. https://ibb.co/M6ZkDw8

Both Liverpool and Queen Mary require grade A in A level Maths so will probably reject you. Aberystwyth will probably accept you as they require a B in Maths so would cover you of you take the risk of the other 2.
If you were able to improve your Maths to grade A numerous options would be available in clearing. Lat year Exeter, Lancaster, Liverpool and I believe Queen Mary were in clearing.

The other issue as McGinger says is whether your mental health will be ready for university. You will be away from home having to look after yourself and budget for yourself in addition to a vastly increased workload.
Reply 16
If you were able to improve your Maths to grade A numerous options would be available in clearing. Lat year Exeter, Lancaster, Liverpool and I believe Queen Mary were in clearing.

The other issue as McGinger says is whether your mental health will be ready for university. You will be away from home having to look after yourself and budget for yourself in addition to a vastly increased workload.

My mental health issue derived from family issues, If anything I'm hoping being away will further improve it.
I got 80 in the UKMT, and my school wont up my predicted grades even with my recent mock scores, and the next set starts on the 15th of January which is also my schools deadline for sending our application.

That's a Silver I think. It's alright, although not that great. Either way it's UKMT - focus on A-level.

In that case, the best I'd suggest applying to is Newcastle. They'll change the course so it's more complex, more rigorous especially in analysis, yet not increasing entry requirements.
The difficulty OP is going to have is that they require grade A in Maths for Newcastle and Sheffield and OP is predicted a B. This makes it likely they will be rejected and is extremely risky. Having 1 or 2 a grade below is fine as long as there are others less risky. Waiting until January to apply is sensible if OP can change predicted grades. Once an application is made predicted grades cannot be changed.

What isnt being taken account is that 75% of students dont reach their predicted grades and most of the ones who exceed them usually exceed by 1 grade in 1 subject not 3.

I basically agree here, but for Newcastle they very often go in clearing and accept stuff like BBC with C in math, or ABC with B in math. Therefore I think Newcastle is a plausible choice.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending