The Student Room Group

A love letter which I did not have the courage to give to a foreign exchange student

This is not a question. Instead I treat this post as a place I can express myself without being judged:

Dear J,

I hope this letter finds you well and you have found your term in Lancaster most enjoyable. How are you doing back in Korea?
While the weather in Lancaster is fine, it brings me no joy in your absence.
The radiance of the sun brings me no warmth compared to your smile.
The wind brings me no comfort without it brushing your silky hair.
The ballads sung by the birds pale compared to your mesmerizing voice.
The stars lose their sparkles without your grace.
The moon turns me away from shining a path to you.
In every sleepless night, I pray that one day Achilles bestows me the courage to ask Aphrodite to lead me to your heart. A dream that I hope one day can become more than a dream.
Take care, J. I hope we will chance upon each other in the future if Fate decides that I am worthy of you.

Love
T
(edited 2 months ago)
Wow, this is so beautiful. You'll find someone again who makes your heart sing.

Love is all around, and it will find you. Cherish the moments you had with them, they must've been a big part of your life.

Wishing you all the best, OP.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous #1
Wow, this is so beautiful. You'll find someone again who makes your heart sing.

Love is all around, and it will find you. Cherish the moments you had with them, they must've been a big part of your life.

Wishing you all the best, OP.

Thank you for your kind words.
Original post by ShadowMoon84
This is not a question. Instead I treat this post as a place I can express myself without being judged:

Dear J,

I hope this letter finds you well and you have found your term in Lancaster most enjoyable. How are you doing back in Korea?
The ballads sung by the birds pale compared to your bewitching voice.
In every sleepless night, I pray that one day Achilles bestows me the courage to ask Aphrodite to lead me to your heart. A dream that I hope one day can become more than a dream.
Take care, J. I hope we will chance upon each other in the future if Fate decides that I am worthy of you.

Love
T

How well did you know this person?
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous #2

Dear J,

Love
T

How well did you know this person?

I can't say I know her well. She was an exchange student from Korea for 1 term. I met her through one of my friends. We had a couple of lunches and dinner. We also went on a trip with a large group.
Awh that's sweet! I do hope she comes back to you <333
Reply 6
Best to forget about her and move on, long distance relationships never work out.
Reply 7
Original post by Anayop
Best to forget about her and move on, long distance relationships never work out.

Thank you all for your kind words and advises. I think if we are meant to be, we will meet each other again.
Reply 8

Dear J,

Love
T

this is so so cute i would cry if someone sent that to me
Reply 9
Original post by badbxo

Dear J,

Love
T

this is so so cute i would cry if someone sent that to me

Thank you, Badbxo. I just want her to be happy even if she does not know how I feel about her.
Now that you've written it you might as well send it to her. The good news is that if it tanks it you won't have the awkwardness of seeing her around again. The worst case scenario here is that you get a letter of disinterest back the worst being if she harps on about her disinterest. Second worst thing not hearing back at all.

I personally think if you don't send it time will clock on as it always does and you will always have an occasional sad moment that you didn't send it, possibly worse over time, 10, 15, 20 plus years from now? How would you feel? So yes I would just send it, don't count on too much or a positive Hollywood ending. Treat it as at least finding out, you might get lucky but equally you might not, but the upside in that is at least you know and you learn by experience.

Personally I would never send a letter to a girl who I saw regularly. It's a old romance cliché/Hollywood Romance Movie cliché that often isn't a great move in the real world. It's kind of bad that Hollywood put that across as the way to go. It can cause great embarrassment and awkwardness moreso if you regularly see the person. While some girls like it I think probably only from guys they are already attracted too. So better to try a more low key approach usually, get to know the person so they are familiar to you so an approach doesn't come over as weird then hang out bait like, 'I want to go and see this film but all the people I know aren't available'. I think putting it all on the line is often a needless high stakes low reward method, unless you're a pretty boy of course but then it's rarely needed anyway.
Reply 11
Original post by Anonymous #3
Now that you've written it you might as well send it to her. The good news is that if it tanks it you won't have the awkwardness of seeing her around again. The worst case scenario here is that you get a letter of disinterest back the worst being if she harps on about her disinterest. Second worst thing not hearing back at all.

I personally think if you don't send it time will clock on as it always does and you will always have an occasional sad moment that you didn't send it, possibly worse over time, 10, 15, 20 plus years from now? How would you feel? So yes I would just send it, don't count on too much or a positive Hollywood ending. Treat it as at least finding out, you might get lucky but equally you might not, but the upside in that is at least you know and you learn by experience.

Personally I would never send a letter to a girl who I saw regularly. It's a old romance cliché/Hollywood Romance Movie cliché that often isn't a great move in the real world. It's kind of bad that Hollywood put that across as the way to go. It can cause great embarrassment and awkwardness moreso if you regularly see the person. While some girls like it I think probably only from guys they are already attracted too. So better to try a more low key approach usually, get to know the person so they are familiar to you so an approach doesn't come over as weird then hang out bait like, 'I want to go and see this film but all the people I know aren't available'. I think putting it all on the line is often a needless high stakes low reward method, unless you're a pretty boy of course but then it's rarely needed anyway.

Thank you for your encouragement. I love your 'go for it' attitude in this. You are right, what do I have to lose in this?
I would say what would you have to lose? I have a friend who lived in the uk, chatted online chatrooms on facebook when they was all the rage in the late 2000's and chatted to a girl in australia, and they had an online thing for a bit. he went over to see if the chemistry was there, it was. And she came over the uk on a holiday. next thing, hes down in australia and married to her and got a visa and been married for the past 10 years. So if you like her, go for it, but keep things slow and steady until you meet again as this will be on different terms and you want to make sure its right before going any more forward.
Reply 13
Original post by Ghostlady
I would say what would you have to lose? I have a friend who lived in the uk, chatted online chatrooms on facebook when they was all the rage in the late 2000's and chatted to a girl in australia, and they had an online thing for a bit. he went over to see if the chemistry was there, it was. And she came over the uk on a holiday. next thing, hes down in australia and married to her and got a visa and been married for the past 10 years. So if you like her, go for it, but keep things slow and steady until you meet again as this will be on different terms and you want to make sure its right before going any more forward.

Thank you, Ghostlady. I actually had a similar thought as you did. I don't have anything to lose. Even if she rejects me, it is nothing to be embarrassed about.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending