The Student Room Group
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website

University of Kent or University of East Anglia

I'm not sure what to pick as when it comes to the ranking of the university and the course UEA is better but it is further away from home and I'm not keen on the city of Norwich, as I am a black student and when I think of Norwich the last thing I think about is diverse, so will fitting in be a problem?. With Kent I've heard its a lot more diverse and I know some of my friends are going there, but again Kent is lower ranked as a university, will that affect my future and finding jobs?. I would be very happy if someone could help me, I cant decide.
If you only worry about diversity in UEA, then I think you should attend your education there because I’m also international student (SEAsian) and you should not worry about that too much. Just be open minded and enjoy!
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website
Original post by MG7778
I'm not sure what to pick as when it comes to the ranking of the university and the course UEA is better but it is further away from home and I'm not keen on the city of Norwich, as I am a black student and when I think of Norwich the last thing I think about is diverse, so will fitting in be a problem?. With Kent I've heard its a lot more diverse and I know some of my friends are going there, but again Kent is lower ranked as a university, will that affect my future and finding jobs?. I would be very happy if someone could help me, I cant decide.

Hi there,
At the University of Kent, we pride ourselves on our diversity and inclusivity! I understand your worries about where we are ranked, but I would definitely consider looking at our rankings for individual subjects, as some of our courses have been accredited by outside organisations as we have strong connections with them. Additionally, we offer years in the industry alongside many of our courses which allows you to gain a year of hands-on work experience which will boost your employability. We also provide an employability scheme where you can collect points for setting up a LinkedIn profile, attending events with guest speakers etc. if you receive enough points then you can win an internship or work experience with one of our sponsors. You can find more information on this here: https://www.kent.ac.uk/employability-points/rewards.
Choosing a university can be a difficult choice so please don't hesitate to get in touch if you have any more questions :smile:
All the best,
Beth, UKC Rep
Reply 3
Original post by MG7778

Which one did you end up picking in the end? My son is in the same boat, he has to choose between Kent and UEA.
Reply 4
UEA far better uni.
Original post by okeph
Which one did you end up picking in the end? My son is in the same boat, he has to choose between Kent and UEA.

Hi @okapi,

I hope you are well. Deciding between universities can be so hard, especially with the added time pressure. Does your son have any criteria that needs to be met by either university such as proximity to home or the module options? I would recommend sitting down with both universities' websites and compare, maybe make a list of pros and cons.

If you don't mind me asking, which degree is your son doing in September? I study Psychology, I am going into my final year in September so I can answer any questions about Canterbury, student life on/off campus and Kent university as a whole. I can also answer any other questions that spring to mind or any questions your son might want to ask.

Alia
University of Kent Student Rep
Reply 6
Original post by University of Kent
Hi @okapi,

I hope you are well. Deciding between universities can be so hard, especially with the added time pressure. Does your son have any criteria that needs to be met by either university such as proximity to home or the module options? I would recommend sitting down with both universities' websites and compare, maybe make a list of pros and cons.

If you don't mind me asking, which degree is your son doing in September? I study Psychology, I am going into my final year in September so I can answer any questions about Canterbury, student life on/off campus and Kent university as a whole. I can also answer any other questions that spring to mind or any questions your son might want to ask.

Alia
University of Kent Student Rep

Thanks for the response. My son will be studying International Business Management.
Hi @Okapi

Hope you are well, nice to hear that your son is interested in studying International Business and Management. :smile:
I am not an International Business Student, but I hope my experience at the University of Kent can help to inform your decision.

There are many international students at Kent, I am also a BAME student. Therefore, diversity and fitting in is something you do not need to worry about at Kent.

Career-wise, the University of Kent offers an employability points scheme which helps students to access employers and secure good job opportunities. This scheme is accessible to all University of Kent' students in any years of their degree. You can find more information on our employability points scheme here.

The University of Kent also offers advice to Kent students and graduates to prepare them for employment and further study. This includes things like career advice, checking CVs, planning careers. More information on this can be found here.

If you have any specific questions on the course or in general, please let me know and I can get back to you. :smile:
All the best. :biggrin:

Chloe
-University of Kent Student Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending