The Student Room Group

Mature Student - Vet Med at Nottingham Uni with low GCSE's

Hi! I would really love some advice from anyone that can offer it! I am currently studying an access to HE Science course - due to end in September so I can apply to study Vet Med at Nottingham Uni for entry in September 2025. My issue is I don't hit the GCSE requirements, you need 5 grade 7's (I have 2 grade 7's) and a 6 in Science and Maths (I got a 5 in both). So how important are the GCSE results for mature students, I will be 24 when starting the course and im not sure i can afford another 2 GCSE's and have to sit them in May this year! I will email the uni too once they open after xmas

Following as I also have been in contact with Nottingham about them accepting access to HE, they had pointed out that I didn't meet the correct boundaries due to me having a 5 in math and not a 6 (GCSE.). I would like to know if you have found out any more on this?It is really disheartening as I do think as a mature student that GCSE's aren't really doable alongside an access to HE course - meaning you would have to wait another year whilst you sit your GCSE's...
Original post by hollywoods01
Following as I also have been in contact with Nottingham about them accepting access to HE, they had pointed out that I didn't meet the correct boundaries due to me having a 5 in math and not a 6 (GCSE.). I would like to know if you have found out any more on this?It is really disheartening as I do think as a mature student that GCSE's aren't really doable alongside an access to HE course - meaning you would have to wait another year whilst you sit your GCSE's...

When I applied to Notts (Oct 2022), I had to re-sit Maths GCSE to meet the requirement - had only been entered in for foundation when I was in year 10 back 10 years ago, but got an A (7) after resitting. Also, worth a note, it may be too late to enter for a GCSE exam now, as I know when I applied back in 2022 for my maths the date was feb, but there was an extra charge for late entry but when the cut off is, I’m not quite sure. You can only be entered for a November exam if you’re a resit student, I believe

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending