The Student Room Group

Objectively bad track record, but still want a good Uni.

What are my actual chances of getting into a university with somewhat low acceptance rates with 42 UCAS points?

I'm 24, I've studied twice before. Once Animation for a year then
second Computer Science for 2 months. Afterwards I basically worked on and off jobs in London for the next 4 years.

Now being older and having worked through various issues of my mental health which held me back in both sixth form and the first attempts at higher education, I'm ready to return and study Philosophy and stick it out.

I feel as if my age and work experience and natural inclination toward the subject will help with applications.

I'm also fairly confident I could write a convincing personal statement purely down to the amount of writing/ subject study I do in my free-time.

I'm looking at university rankings and would like to study within preferably the top 20 - 30 for the Philosophy subject ranking and also attend somewhere well known and respectable, but understand the tariff points, dropouts and potential employment gaps may shine quite negatively on first impression.

Can anyone with more knowledge of this stuff give me some insight as to where acceptance rates are at right now?

I feel like I could convince someone in a face to face interview and they saw my conviction and existing knowledge, but know my situation looks bad on paper.

(A-Level English: E, AS-Level Art: D, ICT Cambridge Technical: PP)

Also, any specific university recommendations?

TL:biggrin:R:

I want to get into a uni that doesn't have a 90% acceptance rate and is somewhere high on its subject rankings but with an objectively bad educational track record.
You really should look at taking an Access to HE Diploma to reapply. That would be the way to demonstrate that you’re now capable of more than your previous grades imply.

Are you going to be able to afford to fund your year 1 tuition fees without a loan?
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
You really should look at taking an Access to HE Diploma to reapply. That would be the way to demonstrate that you’re now capable of more than your previous grades imply.

Are you going to be able to afford to fund your year 1 tuition fees without a loan?

I may be able to fund year 1 if the payments are split. If not I would have to save up for an extra year and really don't want to wait that long. I want to be studying by this September.

From what I'm reading though I think you have to pay the full year upfront.

Unless there's specific Uni's you don't have to do that?
Reply 3
If you applied for a student loan through student finance but dropped out due to certain circumstances (e.g., mental health), you could always apply to have the year again - may be worth giving them a call and explaining the situation.

Also, I second taking an Access to HE programme. You can do them online or at local colleges but I know quite a few people who go to Russell Groups after completing one.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending