The Student Room Group

The best way to revise English Literature?

I’m going into year 11 and I’m just wondering if anyone has any tips on how to revise for it, I need to get a six to do the a-levels I want
Original post by lucyswillow
I’m going into year 11 and I’m just wondering if anyone has any tips on how to revise for it, I need to get a six to do the a-levels I want

Personally I found making slideshows for each section of the paper (e.g. novel or play) and writing the quotes with the most juicy annotations in a list- giving a slide to each character and theme. Making lots of plans for previous questions is good, as well as practicing essays and rereading set texts. I hope this helps!

I definitely recommend doing as many past papers as you can from your exam board so you know exactly what to expect and what your specific exam board wants to see in your work to get those higher grades!
Reply 3
Make a load of essay plans for the main topics so you'll be prepared for whatever happens. Obviously you can't do this for every essay topic, but write a few at least and give them to your teacher to mark. Or you could just write a paragraph if whole essays is too time-consuming and give it to your teacher, as feedback is very important. Honestly use your teachers as much as you can, ask them how you can improve and get them to mark your work.
Other than that, try to remember analysis of the main quotes in your texts, always make yourself analyse quotes in multiple ways so your perspective seems more nuanced - for example, do two sets of analysis on a single quote; 1 where you name techniques and another where you link to big concepts and talk about metaphorical or conceptual meaning.
Make sure you're solid on main themes and symbols, and know your context!! Also try to research a bit more unfamiliar or unusual context, obviously examiners will get bored if they see the same context point written on every student's paper.
Good luck!
Reply 4

i'm going to uni to do an eng lit degree so hopefully i can give u a good answer. practise practise practise writing essays! find as many as u can and write them. make flashcards for quotes and just reread the books/plays if u need a recap. i used sparks notes online a lot for plot recaps cause i couldn't be bothered oops but its good if u need a quick recap. for proper details reread the books tho
Reply 5

What texts do you do and if you do the same as what i did i can show you examples and how i revised and grade 9 notes, essays, knowledge organisers, ideas and stuff that includes a level ideas for each one as i got a grade 9 in lit and lang.
Original post by user1787
What texts do you do and if you do the same as what i did i can show you examples and how i revised and grade 9 notes, essays, knowledge organisers, ideas and stuff that includes a level ideas for each one as i got a grade 9 in lit and lang.

Do you have anything on Inspector calls, Christmas Carol or macbeth?
Reply 7
Original post by Samreenbhayat
Do you have anything on Inspector calls, Christmas Carol or macbeth?

Yes I did a Christmas Carol and Macbeth so I can send some stuff later if u want

Quick Reply

Latest