The Student Room Group

my boyfriend failed his gcse

we are both in first year of college, I have went down the route of alevels, planning to do a law degree and left secondary with 10 gcses. my boyfriend on the other hand left with 3 gcses and is resitting maths at the same college as me. he seems to have no drive to revise or to work; only revising when i suggest/ask him to, this makes me feel frustrated, knowing that if he does badly in exams it impacts his mood.
i dont really want to take on the role to push him to revise, but he does not have this encouragement from his parents; but at the end of the day this is not my responsibility.
i dont really know what to do; i think he has trouble concentrating and that secondary school just gave up on him (he was the type of kid who would be rewarded for not throwing a chair at the teacher); do i push him? i would do it because i love him, but he is very sensitive and would become stroppy with me.
i dont really know what he wants to do in the future, he hasnt decided if he wants to go to uni. the other day i had to set up his ucas profile for him, as he had been skipping form for the past month to "revise"

at the end of the day he is a good guy and i know that work isnt everything, but myself coming from a disadvantaged background i want to hit the ground running to help my future.

does anyone have any advice :/
Reply 1
i really don’t know but i’ve been pushing my boyfriend to get into college and i want it so badly for him because i know he wants to be back in education so he can one day progress to his career of choice, he has no GCSEs because he dropped out in year 11 and regrets it a lot (not all his fault, it was a lot to do with mental health and some other stuff) and he just missed a session with the college and i’ve been frustrated about it because of course i want him to do well, he could’ve made that appointment and now i’m just worried it won’t work out

it’s weird cuz i’ve always been academically driven too like i wanna be a solicitor/barrister also and am entering sixth form with hopefully 11 GCSE’s in september and it’s so different with him even though i think he’s really intelligent he’s lost his confidence with school and qualifications and everything

let’s just hope it works out and keep pushing idk but i don’t wanna be a pushy boyfriend either
Reply 2
break up with him he will just let you down

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending