The Student Room Group

Unsure of where to go to, any insight if possible would be greatly appreciated!

Extremely undecisive on which uni to go to and really struggling to pick my definite uni choice. I have applied for psychology to the following unis (all but one have made me an offer so far):

- Uni of Reading

- Uni of Dundee

- Uni of Plymouth

- Uni of Hull

- Uni of Portsmouth

The reason why I am struggling to pick is because I want to live somewhere that is quite nice and has things going on for it. I want it to be an outgoing place and to have a vibrant social life going for it. I want to meet people, make friends, go on nights out, etc.

Reading is the best uni out of those but the city just seems a bit dead to me? I hope I am wrong tho. Dundee seems good but ranks really low compared to the others.

If anyone is able to share their experiences in those unis/cities and give me a bit of an insight into how active and outgoing things are socially speaking, I would truly really really really appreciate it! Feeling extremely stuck currently.
Have you visited reading? Maybe even arrange to stay over in student accommodation.
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
Have you visited reading? Maybe even arrange to stay over in student accommodation.
I'd love to do that honestly but I am out of money at the moment and live far away. And by the time I'd get the chance to visit, I would have already needed to make a choice on my definite uni.
Original post by Hunter4858
Extremely undecisive on which uni to go to and really struggling to pick my definite uni choice. I have applied for psychology to the following unis (all but one have made me an offer so far):

- Uni of Reading

- Uni of Dundee

- Uni of Plymouth

- Uni of Hull

- Uni of Portsmouth

The reason why I am struggling to pick is because I want to live somewhere that is quite nice and has things going on for it. I want it to be an outgoing place and to have a vibrant social life going for it. I want to meet people, make friends, go on nights out, etc.

Reading is the best uni out of those but the city just seems a bit dead to me? I hope I am wrong tho. Dundee seems good but ranks really low compared to the others.

If anyone is able to share their experiences in those unis/cities and give me a bit of an insight into how active and outgoing things are socially speaking, I would truly really really really appreciate it! Feeling extremely stuck currently.
Hi!

My advice would to be figure out what is most important to you about the university you’re going to. For example, from what you’ve said, rankings and city life are important.

So list all the unis for their ranking, then look into online suggestions about what those cities are like. Gather as much info as possible on the different cities. Look at what societies the universities offer too, as this can be an indicator of the liveliness of a university.

I have not visited the cities you’ve mentioned, but my partner went to university in Dundee and she loved it for its social life and felt she had an amazing time.

I hope this helps! 🙂

Estelle
Third Year Psychology
University of Huddersfield
Original post by Hunter4858
- Uni of Reading
- Uni of Dundee
- Uni of Plymouth
- Uni of Hull
- Uni of Portsmouth

Hi there! :smile:

I'm a current second year student here at Plymouth and, although I don't study psychology, I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have about the university or city!

Plymouth, as a location, was one of the main reasons I chose this university over others- it has a great student-focussed atmosphere and the campus is so central to the main city centre. There are plenty of shops, restaurants, cafés, entertainment venues, etc. all just minutes from the university campus as well as lots of nature spots nearby for some time away from the city (including the National Marine Park and Dartmoor.) It's really convenient to live in the centre and it's never too busy but with lots going on in and around the area.

The nightlife is always vibrant with lots going on most nights, including popular SU events like Jam House music nights and clubbing, as well as many city clubs close by and bars/alternative venues just minutes away from campus. Societies are a great way to meet people too at the uni as they often have many social events and are a fun way to make friends.

If you have any more questions, feel free to reach out on here or one of our Unibuddy reps will happily chat with you about their experiences!

Best of luck! :smile:

-Alfie, University of Plymouth Undergraduate Student Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending