The Student Room Group

Uni accom help- how to choose rooms in new house

Moving into a new house in a few weeks with 2 others. I am confused as to how we are supposed to choose rooms? All 3 are different sizes, and one room is downstairs with a bathroom quite far away
Reply 1
You negotiate? Did you not discuss the rooms set up when you had first viewed the property and think about who would have which room? (I mean, I assume not, since you are about to move in and don't seem to know which actual room you're moving into).

I'm also not sure how 'far away' the bathroom can be in what must at some point have been a two-bedroom house, but the fact that you are describing it like that, perhaps indicates that you don't particularly want the ground floor bedroom, which would at least be a starting point in your negotiations with your housemates. With any luck, one of them will want that room - in our younger son's houseshare last year, one of the group asked for the downstairs bedroom straight away when they decided to take the property.
Reply 2
Original post by Isinglass
You negotiate? Did you not discuss the rooms set up when you had first viewed the property and think about who would have which room? (I mean, I assume not, since you are about to move in and don't seem to know which actual room you're moving into).

I'm also not sure how 'far away' the bathroom can be in what must at some point have been a two-bedroom house, but the fact that you are describing it like that, perhaps indicates that you don't particularly want the ground floor bedroom, which would at least be a starting point in your negotiations with your housemates. With any luck, one of them will want that room - in our younger son's houseshare last year, one of the group asked for the downstairs bedroom straight away when they decided to take the property.

As in when we viewed the property, we got it because all of us had an individual bathroom. On the bottom floor the bathroom isn't an ensuite like the other 2 upstairs, and is at the opposite end of the house. We were thinking making that person pay less rent
@keeno25

If everyone else has an ensuite, maybe the other person can have the separate bathroom as their bathroom?

Unless people have particular preferences for a room maybe you can just draw rooms out of a hat.

All the best,

Oluwatosin 2nd year student University of Huddersfield

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending