The Student Room Group

SFE Doctoral Loan after changing university

Hi, I recently started a 3-year PhD using the SFE Doctoral Loan. As I understand it, you essentially have ~£27,000 spread over the duration of your course, so I would receive about £9000/yr here.

I'd like to ask what would happen if I were to leave my PhD here and begin another self-funded one in September, as is likely to be necessary for personal reasons causing me to relocate. Am I right in thinking that I would be able to apply for the Doctoral Loan again (presumably with the remaining £18,000 spread across the 3 years of the new PhD)?

Obviously, I have to ask because while I will probably have to relocate I would still like to do a PhD. It just isn't an option for me if the SFE Doctoral Loan was only available once (i.e. in my current place).
(edited 4 months ago)
Hi MoonlethNox,

You would need to do a transfer into the course to receive the remaining entitlement and would of course need to be an eligible course that attracts our funding.

Thanks, Clare
Original post by MoonlethNox
Hi, I recently started a 3-year PhD using the SFE Doctoral Loan. As I understand it, you essentially have ~£27,000 spread over the duration of your course, so I would receive about £9000/yr here.

I'd like to ask what would happen if I were to leave my PhD here and begin another self-funded one in September, as is likely to be necessary for personal reasons causing me to relocate. Am I right in thinking that I would be able to apply for the Doctoral Loan again (presumably with the remaining £18,000 spread across the 3 years of the new PhD)?

Obviously, I have to ask because while I will probably have to relocate I would still like to do a PhD. It just isn't an option for me if the SFE Doctoral Loan was only available once (i.e. in my current place).

Hi there,

Yes, it's possible to do this. So we can help, do you know if you'll be transferring any credits over to your new course?

Thanks, Graeme
Reply 3
Original post by SFE Clare
Hi MoonlethNox,

You would need to do a transfer into the course to receive the remaining entitlement and would of course need to be an eligible course that attracts our funding.

Thanks, Clare

Hi Clare,
The new course is a full time PhD and should meet the same requirements as my first one. However, transferring is something I'm unclear on - if I withdraw from one entirely rather than transfer (as the place I'm going doesn't do the same subject, for example), is it then not possible?

Many thanks.
Reply 4
Original post by Graeme SFE
Hi there,

Yes, it's possible to do this. So we can help, do you know if you'll be transferring any credits over to your new course?

Thanks, Graeme

Hi Graeme, thanks for confirming. No, I would imagine not as it's both a different university and different subject entirely (Engineering currently to Astrophysics in the new university, since Engineering isn't offered there while Astrophysics is my undergrad subject).
Hi Graeme, thanks for confirming. No, I would imagine not as it's both a different university and different subject entirely (Engineering currently to Astrophysics in the new university, since Engineering isn't offered there while Astrophysics is my undergrad subject).

Hi there, We can only provide funding for one Masters course, therefore no funding would be available for a new course. Thanks, Angela
Reply 6
Original post by Angela SFE
Hi there, We can only provide funding for one Masters course, therefore no funding would be available for a new course. Thanks, Angela

Hi Angela,
This is for PhD, not Masters. I already have an MSc and received an initial Doctoral Loan for the PhD I am currently on.
Hi Angela,
This is for PhD, not Masters. I already have an MSc and received an initial Doctoral Loan for the PhD I am currently on.

Hi there, Apologies, I should have said PHD and not Masters. Funding would only be available if you were transferring as we can only award funding once only unless you have Compelling Personal Reasons for having to change courses. Thanks, Angela
Reply 8

Hi Angela, unfortunately your last reply isn't showing up for me [other than a notification saying you had]. Would you be able to repeat that message please? Thank you.
Hi Angela, unfortunately your last reply isn't showing up for me [other than a notification saying you had]. Would you be able to repeat that message please? Thank you.

Hi there, Apologies, I should have said PHD and not Masters. Funding would only be available if you were transferring as we can only award funding once only unless you have Compelling Personal Reasons for having to change courses. Thanks, Angela
Reply 10

Hi Angela, thanks for that. Can you please explain the transferring procedure? I don't have CPR in the sense of documented evidence so much as personal circumstances that would make being in the new university easier [largely for caring responsibilities and for my partner's needs more than my own].

I have spoken with my current university about the possibility of transferring onto another PhD that would not require me to be here continually [i.e. is not experimentally-based] and this may be some compromise I am able to make. I do however need to ask if transferring in this sense would be permissible for SFE, that is to transfer my remaining 2 years of funding. Many thanks.
Reply 11
Ended up calling about it, leaving their responses for anyone else in the situation in the future:

If you transfer between courses in the same uni, they have to give you a "Change of Circumstances" form which you send with your next funding application. Transferring means they allow it internally, rather than having to withdraw from one and start anew from another.

If you can't transfer directly, then whether or not it's the same uni, you need a "Compelling Personal Reasons" form with your next funding application. This takes loads of different forms - anything considered "unavoidable" essentially - but apparently an official (letterheaded) note from someone at your university outlining the situation counts.

(edited 3 months ago)
Thank you for your response.

Any further questions at anytime then do let us know. Thanks, Jason

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending