The Student Room Group
Manchester Metropolitan University
Manchester

PhD Course Codes

Does anyone know if PhD courses have individual course codes and if so, how would I find the code for a specific course?

I am in need of the code for my PhD course, which is in Computer Science, but haven't been able to find it anywhere.
I'm having no luck with getting any help from MMU either, as nobody I've spoken to so far seems able to help me. :/

If anyone knows anything in relation to this, I would greatly appreciate the help. :heart:
Course code for what? Generally in the UK undergraduate degrees have a UCAS course code which usually also is the course code used for Student Finance England/etc applications.

Since postgraduate courses aren't applied to via UCAS normally and often only have limited funding available through Student Finance England/etc, it stands to reason there may be less likely to be a formal course code for individual subject areas. Some unis might just have a general one for all PhD courses which are eligible for funding from SFE for a doctoral loan for example.

That said MMU states their courses for doctoral loans with SFE are listed by name, so they might not have a code at all: https://www.mmu.ac.uk/study/postgraduate/research-study/phd/funding/doctoral-loans#ai-3329-0
Manchester Metropolitan University
Manchester
Reply 2
Original post by artful_lounger
Course code for what? Generally in the UK undergraduate degrees have a UCAS course code which usually also is the course code used for Student Finance England/etc applications.

Since postgraduate courses aren't applied to via UCAS normally and often only have limited funding available through Student Finance England/etc, it stands to reason there may be less likely to be a formal course code for individual subject areas. Some unis might just have a general one for all PhD courses which are eligible for funding from SFE for a doctoral loan for example.

That said MMU states their courses for doctoral loans with SFE are listed by name, so they might not have a code at all: https://www.mmu.ac.uk/study/postgraduate/research-study/phd/funding/doctoral-loans#ai-3329-0

On my Doctoral Loan application (which I made through SFE), I wrote down the course name as PhD (Computing and Digital Technology), because that's what's written on my offer letter.
But SFE said that particular course is not on their list of eligible courses for funding, which they say is provided to them by MMU.

So today when I called SFE, they said if I could provide them with a course code then they'd be able to put a referral through.
But I have no idea how to go about finding the code.
Original post by Anonymous
On my Doctoral Loan application (which I made through SFE), I wrote down the course name as PhD (Computing and Digital Technology), because that's what's written on my offer letter.
But SFE said that particular course is not on their list of eligible courses for funding, which they say is provided to them by MMU.

So today when I called SFE, they said if I could provide them with a course code then they'd be able to put a referral through.

The courses are added to the SFE database by the university, you'd need to contact your department administrator and the course convenor/leader (also probably your supervisor as well). For courses not routinely managed through SFE often unis have to manually add them in as they aren't loaded as a natter of course at the start of the academic cycle with all the undergrad courses (at least that's been my experience).
Original post by Anonymous

Hi! If you send an email to [email protected] they should be able to help :smile: - Chloe

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending