The Student Room Group

Housemate doesn't confirm financial decisions with me

I'll try to keep this short and straight to the point. Please let me know what you think.

Me and my friend have gotten a 2 bed flat together. She's moved in and I haven't yet as I'm waiting to finish my current tenancy at a different house. She went ahead and sorted tarrifs and packages for outr utilities which is great but she signed things without consulting me about whether the prices were in my budget etc Thankfully they were but I addressed that she should have come to me first before making those decisions as they affect me too even if I'm not currently living In the property. After a lot of exususes from herself she finally apologiesd

Today we found a free couch on Facebook market place and I asked her to send a message to the lady who delivers items for me as I can't due to being on holiday. Instead of just getting the price for delivery and then coming back to me to see if It was okay. She's gone and told the lady to deliver the item and is now asking me if the price is okay to split between us.

Without sounding like I want to make things difficult, I feel like telling her that the price is out of my budget just because I feel like if I don't put my foot down she'll keep doing this.

The item pick up is only 10 minutes away. It's a couch and delivery is £55 so we'd split that between the 2 of us. But like I said she's confirmed it without asking if I could afford going halves
Reply 1
I totally understand why you are annoyed. Your friend seems to be making decisions as and when she wants. You're right its only £555 but its the principal don't pay and see how your friend reacts..
You cannot rely on her consulting with you about joint decisions.
Or even considering whether paying half of her purchases are within your budget.

Do not make any more agreements with her that involve splitting bills.
Nor her buying anything for the household that you are expected to use.

Any extra shared financial commitments where you will have to pay if she can't or won't are too much of a risk for you.
She is legally liable to pay for for all the services that she orders or signs for alone- if she is unable to keep up with the payments or pays late her credit score will be ruined.
But don't allow her to ruin your finances or credit.
Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending