The Student Room Group

Tips for being healthier

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by ROTL94 4
5 bevvies a day and Greggs steak bakes for dinner and *****y meal replacement things for fatties? Wow. You need to eat more actual food and drink less. Uni accom provides kitchens for a reason.

How are the meal replacement shakes for “fatties” when I said I’m a healthy weight and not looking to lose weight multiple times in the post? They’re more just for people who don’t have time to sit and eat a full meal (like me).
Reply 21
Original post by Anonymous #1
How are the meal replacement shakes for “fatties” when I said I’m a healthy weight and not looking to lose weight multiple times in the post? They’re more just for people who don’t have time to sit and eat a full meal (like me).

Kinda drunk so not worded right lol but yeah obviously I get they can be used for weight loss but that isn’t their only purpose
Reply 22
Don’t see how it’s an excuse to not want to further reduce the 4 hours of sleep I’m getting to cook things in the morning or want to take an hour out of studying to walk back and to from home to cook something for lunch lol. And tbf I’m a healthy weight so my diet can’t be that bad and isn’t really worth messing up my studies/dropping my grades to fix 🤷🏻*♀️

Why are you getting so little sleep?

You know weight isn't the only indicator of health? There's a phrase 'skinny fat', which means someone who has a weight and BMI that is normal for that person’s height, but has more body fat, and not enough muscle, than is recommended.
Reply 23
Original post by Surnia
Why are you getting so little sleep?

You know weight isn't the only indicator of health? There's a phrase 'skinny fat', which means someone who has a weight and BMI that is normal for that person’s height, but has more body fat, and not enough muscle, than is recommended.

I don’t look fat though and basically explicitly said in the post that I’m not because I knew this thread would descend into “you’re fat and need to lose body fat”. I exercise and look skinny, not fat, and have struggled with disordered eating in the past so I’m not fat and I’m not looking for fat loss tips
Reply 24
I don’t look fat though and basically explicitly said in the post that I’m not because I knew this thread would descend into “you’re fat and need to lose body fat”. I exercise and look skinny, not fat, and have struggled with disordered eating in the past so I’m not fat and I’m not looking for fat loss tips

Read again. Skinny fat means look skinny, have body fat, which you can't see but is around your organs. That's because of an unhealthy diet. Are you getting professional help for your current disordered eating?

What about the sleep?
Reply 25
It’s my new years resolution to be healthier and wondering if anyone has any tips. :smile:

I’m not overweight so I’m not focusing on weight loss, I’m 20f, 5’0 and about 95lbs/6 stone 11 so I’m a healthy weight but I don’t really eat healthily.

My general diet is a meal replacement shake for breakfast (200 calories), an energy drink for lunch (0 calories because I get the diet ones), and then something like a gregg’s steak bake for dinner (400 calories). Then I have probably about 4 or 5 alcoholic drinks in the evenings (approx 400-500 calories).

My exercise regime isn’t as terrible as my diet lol, I don’t do any intensive training but I walk a few miles a day. I don’t really have the time for the gym or anything though because when I’m at uni I study 10 hours a day and after that I’m tired.

Advice? (Once again because people never read posts the full way through here, I’m not asking for weight loss tips, I’m a healthy weight, I’m just trying to generally have a healthier lifestyle).

Also I don’t have time for elaborate meal prep or long workouts so I’m looking for realistic tips that I could fit in alongside studying 10 hours a day

An energy drink is not a meal. The only solid food you're getting is a steak bake at dinner.

A proper, more substantial breakfast would be better but I can see your logic around the "convenience" of the meal replacement shake. Could you start having something in addition to the shake? e.g. a banana, and maybe some toast or a cereal bar or some yoghurt? If you have 5 mins in the evening you could make some overnight oats to have in the morning, easy to transport as well.

For lunch, could you make a batch of something to last you the week? e.g. pesto pasta, or soup and some bread put it into tubs and take one into uni with you every day. Or slap some stuff between two slices of bread and call it a sandwich. Maybe take an apple and a few other snacks to have throughout the day.

Dinner, again see if you can spare a bit of time on Sunday evening to make some stuff for the week. Maybe a curry or a bolognese, portion into tubs and heat up in the evening. Throw together some protein, carbohydrates, fats, and some fruit/veg and you've got a decent meal.
Reply 26
How is it excuses when I’m literally trying to be healthier lol? I’m gonna start dry January when I go back to uni on the 7th and replace the greggs with a salad for dinner

January starts on the 1st, and what about lunch; where are you having the energy drink? If there's somewhere you can consume it, you can take a packed lunch and have that instead.
Reply 27
Original post by bl0bf1sh
An energy drink is not a meal. The only solid food you're getting is a steak bake at dinner.

A proper, more substantial breakfast would be better but I can see your logic around the "convenience" of the meal replacement shake. Could you start having something in addition to the shake? e.g. a banana, and maybe some toast or a cereal bar or some yoghurt? If you have 5 mins in the evening you could make some overnight oats to have in the morning, easy to transport as well.

For lunch, could you make a batch of something to last you the week? e.g. pesto pasta, or soup and some bread put it into tubs and take one into uni with you every day. Or slap some stuff between two slices of bread and call it a sandwich. Maybe take an apple and a few other snacks to have throughout the day.

Dinner, again see if you can spare a bit of time on Sunday evening to make some stuff for the week. Maybe a curry or a bolognese, portion into tubs and heat up in the evening. Throw together some protein, carbohydrates, fats, and some fruit/veg and you've got a decent meal.

I’m gonna start having a healthier breakfast that I can eat while I’m walking like a banana as well as the shake and then gonna try and replace the unhealthy dinner with a salad or something and maybe try and meal prep for a few nights a week
Reply 28
Original post by Surnia
Read again. Skinny fat means look skinny, have body fat, which you can't see but is around your organs. That's because of an unhealthy diet. Are you getting professional help for your current disordered eating?

What about the sleep?

I got over the disordered eating without professional help but don’t want to end up going back to it by things like saying that I’m fat/need to lose fat and having that as my goal instead of being healthier in general. And the sleep is just a combination of general insomnia and noisy housemates
Reply 29
Original post by Surnia
January starts on the 1st, and what about lunch; where are you having the energy drink? If there's somewhere you can consume it, you can take a packed lunch and have that instead.

I’m starting on the 7th because that’s when I go back to uni and I won’t have to explain to anyone why I’m not drinking or miss out on drinking when I go out for meals and stuff. And I usually put energy drink or alcohol in my water bottle and take that to the library but they don’t allow food in there. I could probably stand outside and eat a packed lunch though
Reply 30
I’m starting on the 7th because that’s when I go back to uni and I won’t have to explain to anyone why I’m not drinking or miss out on drinking when I go out for meals and stuff. And I usually put energy drink or alcohol in my water bottle and take that to the library but they don’t allow food in there. I could probably stand outside and eat a packed lunch though

It doesn't sound like you are over your disordered eating, and now you say you drink alcohol during the day as well? So your uni has no spaces where you can eat a meal?

See your GP.
Reply 31
Original post by Surnia
It doesn't sound like you are over your disordered eating, and now you say you drink alcohol during the day as well? So your uni has no spaces where you can eat a meal?

See your GP.

The way my uni is structured the different faculty buildings/colleges are spread out across the city so like the library is just the library and doesn’t have a space where you can bring food other than standing outside
Reply 32
I’m gonna start having a healthier breakfast that I can eat while I’m walking like a banana as well as the shake and then gonna try and replace the unhealthy dinner with a salad or something and maybe try and meal prep for a few nights a week

If you’re having a salad, make sure it’s more than a bowl of sad lettuce with a few bits of watery tomato! Include some form of protein (like chicken, eggs, tofu, lentils), some carbohydrate (like rice, couscous or quinoa, or have bread on the side) and some fats (like olive oil in a dressing, and maybe add some cheese or nuts or seeds as well). A lot more satisfying :smile:
Doing dry January definitely seems like a good idea. Good luck
You could just buy a ready made sandwich for lunch if you don’t have time to make a packed lunch
It’s my new years resolution to be healthier and wondering if anyone has any tips. :smile:

I’m not overweight so I’m not focusing on weight loss, I’m 20f, 5’0 and about 95lbs/6 stone 11 so I’m a healthy weight but I don’t really eat healthily.

My general diet is a meal replacement shake for breakfast (200 calories), an energy drink for lunch (0 calories because I get the diet ones), and then something like a gregg’s steak bake for dinner (400 calories). Then I have probably about 4 or 5 alcoholic drinks in the evenings (approx 400-500 calories).

My exercise regime isn’t as terrible as my diet lol, I don’t do any intensive training but I walk a few miles a day. I don’t really have the time for the gym or anything though because when I’m at uni I study 10 hours a day and after that I’m tired.

Advice? (Once again because people never read posts the full way through here, I’m not asking for weight loss tips, I’m a healthy weight, I’m just trying to generally have a healthier lifestyle).

Also I don’t have time for elaborate meal prep or long workouts so I’m looking for realistic tips that I could fit in alongside studying 10 hours a day

Gut health is important.

Why is gut health important?

[*]Digestion and Nutrient Absorption: A healthy gut ensures efficient digestion and absorption of essential vitamins, minerals, and other nutrients.
[*]Immune System Support:. A healthy gut microbiome helps regulate the immune response, protecting the body from infections and diseases.
[*]Mood and Mental Health: Changes in the gut microbiome can impact mood, stress levels, and mental health. Some studies suggest a connection between an imbalance in gut bacteria and conditions like anxiety and depression.
[*]Metabolism and Weight Management: The gut microbiome can influence metabolism and energy balance. Imbalances in gut bacteria have been associated with obesity and metabolic disorders.
[*]Hormone Regulation: The gut plays a role in the metabolism and regulation of hormones. An imbalanced gut microbiome can influence hormonal levels, potentially leading to hormonal disorders and related health issues.
[*]Detoxification - helping eliminate waste products and toxins from the body.

How you can increase gut health:

[*]Fiber-rich Foods: fruits, vegetables, whole grains, legumes, and nuts in your diet. Fiber promotes the growth of beneficial bacteria in the gut.
[*]Probiotic-rich Foods: yogurt, kefir, sauerkraut, kimchi, and miso. These foods contain live beneficial bacteria that contribute to a healthy gut microbiome.
[*]Prebiotic Foods: garlic, onions, leeks, asparagus, bananas, and whole grains. Prebiotics provide the necessary fuel for beneficial bacteria in the gut.
[[*]Stay Hydrated: supports the digestive process and helps maintain the mucosal lining of the intestines.
[*]Limit Highly Processed Foods: Reduce the intake of highly processed and sugary foods.
[*]Manage Stress: Practice stress-reducing techniques such as meditation, deep breathing exercises, yoga, or mindfulness. Chronic stress can affect the gut-brain axis and disrupt the balance of the gut microbiome.
[*]Adequate Sleep:
[*]Include Omega-3 Fatty Acids:
[*]Omega-3 fatty acids - fatty fish, flaxseeds, and walnuts = anti-inflammatory effects on the gut.
[*]Moderate Alcohol Intake

Plus it helps with inflammation control which is useful to increase the skins health if you have skin conditions, such as acne, eczema, and psoriasis.
These aren't hard to incorporate in ur diet as you probably already do most of these things but its good to just to aware of it. Hope this somehow helps
(edited 3 months ago)
This is probably a lot harder than it sounds but I'll go with the simpler stuff. I apologise in advance if this sounds preachy but here goes.

Cut out all the alcohol or else limit it to drinking in moderation one or two times a week only. During academic holidays, don't drink any alcohol at all and detox.

Cut out all added sugar and salt, buy fresh vegetables from the supermarket (which in reality is nearly dirt cheap compared to anything else they sell) and buy bulk bags of rice and pasta which are also cheap for the calories on offer.

Exercise vigorously for at least 60 minutes a week though 90 minutes would be better. I'm sure nearly all Uni's in the UK have access to a gym. Go there and use the rowing machine- get someone to coach you on how to use it properly. Row 5000 metres each time (should be done in under 30 minutes- you're all young and fit so I'm sure 20 minutes is actually totally realistic). That's 3 times per week and your recommended exercise quota is done.

Totally avoid buying highly processed foods such as biscuits or other snack type foods. Buy fruit instead and snack on that.
Reply 37
I'm also trying to be healthier this year. One thing that's really helped me is incorporating more fruits and veggies into my diet. I've started meal prepping on Sundays so I have healthy snacks and meals ready to go during the week. Also, have you considered doing some quick exercises during study breaks? Additionally, consider taking vitamins to ensure you're getting all the essential nutrients your body needs, especially since your diet may be lacking in some areas, to find the best option check instaflex reviews, for example. As for exercise, even short bursts of activity like quick walks or mini workouts can be a great idea.
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 38

From my own experience, I can advise you to focus on a balanced diet, regular physical activity, drinking water, getting enough quality sleep and effective stress management. In addition, I take care of both my mental health and the health of my body. Therefore, I always take the necessary vitamins and supplements, which I can easily find in a Canadian Pharmacy.https://www.canadapharmacy.com/
(edited 1 month ago)
Reply 39
my main advice to you is proper nutrition and sports, and then you will be healthy forever,you can also try to take vitamins that you lack, you can also check the information on online pharmacy and read what you need
(edited 2 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest