The Student Room Group

Maternity Care Assistant

Hello,

I am wondering if there are any maternity care assistants on here who have studied at UWS through employment with GGC.

I have been selected as preferred candidate for a trainee MCA role and looking for some advice/tips any books that may help me.

Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by Ksmkcc1
Hello,

I am wondering if there are any maternity care assistants on here who have studied at UWS through employment with GGC.

I have been selected as preferred candidate for a trainee MCA role and looking for some advice/tips any books that may help me.

Thanks

Hi there

NHS Scotland registered midwife with NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde.
I unfortunately didn't do my midwife degree in my own city of Glasgow as I did it over in Edinburgh, I took a job on qualifying there before eventful coming back to Glasgow. Congratulations on getting selected for MCA with university west of scotland.

To be honest with you you won't learn anything from books but it's useful to give you some information on maternity.
The best way to learn anything is actually doing hand's on experience..... you'll learn almost everything that the midwife does except under you don't do any births but you can learn from watching the qualified midwives and if you ever think about going to university and becoming a midwife all whatever you learn from the maternity care assistant position will be very useful. Don't be afraid in getting stuck in with helping okay.

Your best bet for books would be getting hold of Anatomical and psychology of the human body by Ross and Wilson.

Below is a few books that you could perhaps use.

The Modern Midwife's Guide to Pregnancy, Birth and Beyond: How to Have a Healthier Pregnancy, Easier Birth and Smoother Postnatal Period Paperback 5 Mar. 2020 ( Amazon)

Midwifery Essentials: Emergency Maternity Care: Volume 6, 1e Paperback 28 Sept. 2018b( Amazon)

Try and see if your local libraries have any books available that you can borrow.

Best wishes to you 🙏
Reply 2
Thank you so much for your reply. I am really looking forward to getting started and keen to learn. I will look into the books you suggested and check my local libraries.

Thanks again x
Reply 3
Original post by Ksmkcc1
Thank you so much for your reply. I am really looking forward to getting started and keen to learn. I will look into the books you suggested and check my local libraries.

Thanks again x

Hi
No worries about replying to you 😊😊😊
You'll definitely enjoy the job as a maternity care assistant as you'll see the insight of everything
You'll also be getting experience working in the theatres as you'll be given the opportunity to check everything is fine and same at the end you check everything is there accounted for.

Definitely look into the books and hopefully you'll get something that will be suitable for you to use and learn from.

Good luck 🤞🤞
Any questions you need answering I'll be happy to give you advice the best I can do okay.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending