The Student Room Group

pure maths bachelors degree

my brother is in year 13 and does maths further maths psychology and religious studies a level as well as an epq and has alr sat the maths a level and got A* and is predicted the same for the rest and wants to go to ucl to study pure maths but is worried about the difficulty compared to further maths at a level does anyone know firstly if the subjects are good enough to get into ucl to do maths and secondly what the difference is between it and a level

if anyone can help it would be much appreciated :smile:

thank u in advance for any replies :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by annabel whittle
my brother is in year 13 and does maths further maths psychology and religious studies a level as well as an epq and has alr sat the maths a level and got A* and is predicted the same for the rest and wants to go to ucl to study pure maths but is worried about the difficulty compared to further maths at a level does anyone know firstly if the subjects are good enough to get into ucl to do maths and secondly what the difference is between it and a level

if anyone can help it would be much appreciated :smile:

thank u in advance for any replies :smile:

If he's getting those grades and continues to work he should be fine - university maths is as much, if not more, about working systematically rather than "natural talent". Why is he thinking UCL though? It doesn't have a particularly strong reputation for maths.
Original post by RichE
If he's getting those grades and continues to work he should be fine - university maths is as much, if not more, about working systematically rather than "natural talent". Why is he thinking UCL though? It doesn't have a particularly strong reputation for maths.

thank you for ur reply i think he just thought abt it because our mum went there and he wants to as well dyk which unis are good for maths ?
Reply 3
Original post by annabel whittle
thank you for ur reply i think he just thought abt it because our mum went there and he wants to as well dyk which unis are good for maths ?

Cambridge, Oxford, Warwick, Imperial are often listed top. But Oxbridge deadlines have passed. Others mention Bath, Bristol, though some quibble about Imperial's teaching support. UCL isn't bad, it's just not particularly well known for maths. Has your brother discussed this with his teachers? We're quite late into the admissions process. Is this just last minute nerves?

Quick Reply

Latest