The Student Room Group

How do I get into teaching?

Hello, I am a year 12 student looking through options. I currently do biology, psychology and economics. Recently I’ve been interested in doing primary teaching. I have plenty of work experience with working with kids and was wondering what degree I should do. Qts and pgce and what nots. Any advice on how I can get started and what degree I can start with?
Reply 1
Hi, to be a primary teacher you need a minimum level 4 GCSEs in English, maths and science along with a bachelor's degree with honours. The grade needed for your degree will differ per university. Once you have those you can either go back to university to do a PGCE training year or you can do one of the two year get into teaching schemes like SKIIT or Teach First.

If you want to be a primary teacher there is no specific bachelors degree you need, so you can really choose whatever you like/ whatever interests you. Some people choose to do a bachelor's in education, but you don't have to.

Try to get some work experience in schools such as TA / support work or jobs like lunchtime assistant, this will help with your application and make you a stronger candidate
Hi @userXi,

all the above information is correct. You also have the option to do a degree in primary education with QTS, if you are already sure that teaching is the right career for you. Many universities offer them. It could work out as a cheaper option as some last 3 years instead of doing a traditional Bachelor degree+ one year of Initial Teacher Training after your degree. It might be an option worth exploring.

All the best,

Laure

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending