The Student Room Group

epq for law or politics?

im planning on doing politics and ir in uni followed by a law conversion course (as far as things are going this is basically 100% concrete, obviously things can change but for now this is the plan). should i do an epq on something politics related or something law related?
Reply 1
Original post by dontspellicup
im planning on doing politics and ir in uni followed by a law conversion course (as far as things are going this is basically 100% concrete, obviously things can change but for now this is the plan). should i do an epq on something politics related or something law related?

If you’re certain about doing politics I’d recommend doing it on that, as it will help with your application and could even mean you get reduced grades from some universities.

If you really wanted to do it on law just go for it, because it could still be useful after your law conversion course.

I don’t know if it’s possible but you could try and find a topic that covers both subjects since they sort of interlink?
Reply 2
I'd go politics because no one will probably care about your EPQ once you've been to uni. It will be really useful for talking about on your Personal statement (or whatever replaces it) to show your enthusiasm for the subject.
Reply 3
Original post by KK_
If you’re certain about doing politics I’d recommend doing it on that, as it will help with your application and could even mean you get reduced grades from some universities.

If you really wanted to do it on law just go for it, because it could still be useful after your law conversion course.

I don’t know if it’s possible but you could try and find a topic that covers both subjects since they sort of interlink?

tysm! i had a few ideas related to the UN but i feel like that’s such a basic and overdone topic for politics
Reply 4
tysm! i had a few ideas related to the UN but i feel like that’s such a basic and overdone topic for politics

No problem! If you’re genuinely interested in that topic then you should definitely do it! It may be a very common topic, but if you can bring a new twist or new ideas to it then it will still be really good! I don’t think it really matters if you choose a popular topic, but rather what your take on it is and how you write about it (etc). If you choose a topic/theme that you are genuinely interested in then you are much more likely to stick with it and stay motivated throughout the project, so just make sure it’s something you’ll enjoy doing.
(edited 3 months ago)

Hi @dontspellicup

I would recommend doing it on what you find the most interesting as you will have to spend a fair amount of time writing and researching it. By ensuring you are actually interested in the topic, this won't feel so arduous and the likelihood is that you will end up with a better final result as a consequence.

In terms of being better for applications, I would say an EPQ is more important at undergraduate due to the need to write a personal statement and the difficulty in getting other experience at that educational stage to show commitment and interest in a topic. There would be little harm in doing it on law, however, it is less likely to be seen as an important factor when doing your conversion applications and further into your career than it will be at undergrad application.

I hope this helps and good luck 🙂

Sophie

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending