The Student Room Group

Which of the A-Level combinations will be best for Law?

Hey all,
I'm a high-aspiring Y11 student who is currently aiming to apply to Oxbridge for Law in future. However, I'm not entirely sure on what A-Level combination is the strongest out of these:

-Maths, History, Politics
-Maths, History, Law
-Maths History, Classic Civilisation

All of these^^ with potentially an EPQ in Law too.

I know some say that 'Law is a soft A-Level' or 'I have to do English Literature', so just wanted further clarification to see if these are satisfactory, and which one looks the best. I'm interested in all of the stated A-Levels so it's hard to choose without another outlook on it (also looking to email the Unis directly too on this matter). Would be appreciative of any support!
Original post by elliotc2308
Hey all,
I'm a high-aspiring Y11 student who is currently aiming to apply to Oxbridge for Law in future. However, I'm not entirely sure on what A-Level combination is the strongest out of these:

-Maths, History, Law

I know some say that 'Law is a soft A-Level' or 'I have to do English Literature', so just wanted further clarification to see if these are satisfactory, and which one looks the best. I'm interested in all of the stated A-Levels so it's hard to choose without another outlook on it (also looking to email the Unis directly too on this matter). Would be appreciative of any support!

For aspiring Law students, the combination of "Maths, History, Law" is a strong option. It directly incorporates Law as an A-Level, providing a solid foundation in legal principles, while also including the analytical and contextual skills from Maths and History.
Hey all,

-Maths, History, Law

hii!! im currently applying to oxbridge to study law rn, I'm taking History, Sociology and Law. i think uni's (especially if you wanna take a law degree) usually like if a student has an A-level in an essay subject such as History or English lit or lang. Theres no actual preference on what universities prefer for a law degree but i recommend having at least one essay subject personally i think History or English would be best :smile: good luck!!
Reply 3
Hey all,

-Maths, History, Law

All great combinations, and which one you choose will literally make zero difference to how likely you are to get in. It will be down to everything else like grades, LNAT, super curriculars, personal statement, school reference, interview etc.
Reply 4
There are no required subjects for Law - one essay-based subject is useful for skills - so just choose subjects you will enjoy studying and where you feel confident of high grades.
Reply 5
Original post by miral cooper
For aspiring Law students, the combination of "Maths, History, Law" is a strong option. It directly incorporates Law as an A-Level, providing a solid foundation in legal principles, while also including the analytical and contextual skills from Maths and History.

This is actually nonsense. You dont need an A level in Law to read Law and it doesnt 'strengthen' your application at all, and when a University has no 'required' or 'preferred' A level subjects. they wont give a monkeys whether you are taking Maths or Dance, all they want is the grades.
Reply 6
May I know if economics and geography are counted as essay based subjects or not?
Reply 7
Original post by jobb11
May I know if economics and geography are counted as essay based subjects or not?

Yes - both of them.
Hey all,

-Maths, History, Law

out of your suggestions, I would recommend either:

maths, history, politics

maths, history, classics

(or even: history, politics, classics)
maybe have a look at the specification for these subjects, to see what topics you'll be doing and whether you'd still be interested in them.
im in year 13 doing history and politics (and french), if you have any questions feel free to fire away :smile:
Hey all,

-Maths, History, Law

There are no required subjects for Law. At least 1 essay subject may be useful. But other than that, pick the subjects you like best and are likely to get the best grades in.
Original post by erin11
out of your suggestions, I would recommend either:

maths, history, politics

maths, history, classics

(or even: history, politics, classics)
maybe have a look at the specification for these subjects, to see what topics you'll be doing and whether you'd still be interested in them.
im in year 13 doing history and politics (and french), if you have any questions feel free to fire away :smile:
how are u finding hisotry and politics? I would like to do it but i need advice on how to get an A* in structure or in general etc
Original post by klnlljkklhklll
how are u finding hisotry and politics? I would like to do it but i need advice on how to get an A* in structure or in general etc
i’m really enjoying both! they’re both quite content heavy, but definitely manageable 🙂

Quick Reply

Latest