The Student Room Group

A Level results good but not brilliant

At the risk of sounding pretentious, my A Level results of A*(Eng) A (Spanish) and B (politics - completely unexpected, I have never gotten a B in my life) have really upset me as I was hoping for A*A*A at least. I want to go into a competitive industry - would they consider these grades not up to scratch? I know degree matters more (I kept my place at university THANK LORD through my EPQ) but if they were to check my record, would it be a deal breaker? Any responses gratefully received 🙏
Reply 1
Original post by ChaoticKiwi
At the risk of sounding pretentious, my A Level results of A*(Eng) A (Spanish) and B (politics - completely unexpected, I have never gotten a B in my life) have really upset me as I was hoping for A*A*A at least. I want to go into a competitive industry - would they consider these grades not up to scratch? I know degree matters more (I kept my place at university THANK LORD through my EPQ) but if they were to check my record, would it be a deal breaker? Any responses gratefully received 🙏

I don’t see why it would be a deal breaker in all honesty. Future employers are probably more interested in any experience and skills that you have to offer!

A*A*A at least when you can only get A*A*A* at most is quite demanding on yourself tbh. What industry is it that expects such high results from candidates?
Reply 3
Original post by toxicgamage56
A*A*A at least when you can only get A*A*A* at most is quite demanding on yourself tbh. What industry is it that expects such high results from candidates?

Consultancy and law, etc - I guess more than anything I'm in shock because politics was my best subject and I was fully expecting an A*. I suppose the lesson is that nothing is certain💀
Reply 4
Feel the same way. Most people have told me that employers only care about your degree classification <---- this is really important (plus experience).
Consultancy and law, etc - I guess more than anything I'm in shock because politics was my best subject and I was fully expecting an A*. I suppose the lesson is that nothing is certain💀

You do realise that even Magic Circle law firms only ask for AAB. I'm doing law myself and I think you've set yourself incredibly harsh expectations. They'll be more than happy with the A*AB that you've attained. The only reason I'd be ****ed in this situation is if you've missed your uni which you haven't (which university btw?).
Reply 6
Original post by toxicgamage56
You do realise that even Magic Circle law firms only ask for AAB. I'm doing law myself and I think you've set yourself incredibly harsh expectations. They'll be more than happy with the A*AB that you've attained. The only reason I'd be ****ed in this situation is if you've missed your uni which you haven't (which university btw?).

Oh is it really AAB?? That's reassuring! And Exeter :smile: Are you going to university in September?
Reply 7

Same for me with maths. I got A*, ≈90%, for two years and only just scraped an A somehow.
Reply 8
Original post by azzot
Same for me with maths. I got A*, ≈90%, for two years and only just scraped an A somehow.

Certainly a humbling year for exam results.
Oh is it really AAB?? That's reassuring! And Exeter :smile: Are you going to university in September?

Yep, September 1st actually (annoyingly). Nice, Exeter is where I was going to go technically because I was going to do a degree apprenticeship for finance. I changed to law last second because my grades were way beyond what I was expecting (even had to check my name to see if it was legit lol).
Reply 10

If you got into your university, it really does not matter, but I know exactly what you mean. I got A*A*B and although I didn't really know to expect, getting A*A*A would've opened my options if I decided to not do my course. My firm was A*AB because of EPQ but normally A*AA, yet I couldn't help feel disappointed. I know exactly your feelings, and I have been through them. The only thing those results are hurting are your massive ego. (I have a big ego as well) so don't trouble yourself. It won't affect anything apart from your feelings, so get over it.
Reply 11

(edited 8 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest