The Student Room Group

January uni exams

It has been resolved now
(edited 3 months ago)
Original post by easypeasey89
I am in first year and started revising for my exams 5 weeks before they start. I feel so anxious about them to the point where I am finding it hard to eat and sleep properly. I am really scared I’m just not going to be able to recall it all properly in the exam, the exam is two essays in exam conditions. I’m working really hard properly doing 8-9 hours of revision a day but I still feel so anxious about it. I am dreaming of my notes and reciting them in my sleep. I am not sure what to do, I still have 3 weeks until them and my anxiety is getting much better just worse and worse

Hi!
I'm sorry you are feeling this way, and I can agree from experience that it is a horrible situation to be in.
Firstly, make sure you prioritise the correct topics in your revision. You would have to spend too much time and effort if you were to study absolutely everything in-depth. Identify your weakest topics and focus on them first, leaving what you did previously well in to revise in less detail.
Secondly, at most universities in the UK, the first year does not count towards your degree: you simply need to pass most modules to move onto the next year. (Although I realise it might be different at your university?)
Thirdly, don't overwork yourself. It sounds like you are on the verge of a burnout - you don't want to be stressed and exhausted when the time comes to do your exams. Also, your mental health is more important than university exams in the long run, trust me.
Try reducing your revision hours a bit, and instead focus on quality and consistency. Also ask for feedback from your friends or lecturers on any practice essays you write. This will not only provide you with helpful advice on what to improve, but also help you gain confidence and understand what you do well already.

Take care of yourself and good luck!
Please remember to take part in other things, such as your hobbies or at least study together with friends to make revision less stressful. Consider taking a rest day to reset and regain strength and motivation. And don't worry - you are not falling behind. You are working very hard and definitely not everyone does that in their first year of university, so you are on a good track.

Best of luck!
Polina,
Lancaster University Student Ambassador.
I am in first year and started revising for my exams 5 weeks before they start. I feel so anxious about them to the point where I am finding it hard to eat and sleep properly. I am really scared I’m just not going to be able to recall it all properly in the exam, the exam is two essays in exam conditions. I’m working really hard properly doing 8-9 hours of revision a day but I still feel so anxious about it. I am dreaming of my notes and reciting them in my sleep. I am not sure what to do, I still have 3 weeks until them and my anxiety is getting much better just worse and worse

Hi there

I am sorry to hear you are stressed about your University exams. They can certainly be overwhelming at times, but I think you are already doing great in starting your preparation early.

By the sounds of it, you have completed a lot of revision already, and it is good that you are sticking to working 8-9 hours a day. It is important to give yourself a good work life balance to make sure you are getting enough rest.

I would say if you are doing so much preparation you need not be too stressed out. Rather than thinking about how exams may go wrong, I think you should remind yourself of how much you already know. Perhaps doing a practice exam may help you out? It is good attempting quite a few of these early on to help identify the gaps in your knowledge. I would also recommend doing some under timed conditions, this gives you the guarantee that you will not freeze up in exams, and that there is something that you will be able to write during your test.

It seems you are quite stressed about your exams, especially if you are reciting them in your sleep. I would recommend instead relaxing before going to sleep, distracting yourself with something else may be a good way to take your mind away from studying for a bit. I think as long as you keep up your efforts in revision, you will do fine in your exam.

Good luck.
Chloe
University of Kent Student Rep

@easypeasey89

This is not healthy. If you are not careful you are going to make yourself ill. You need to eat and you need to sleep!

It sounds like you have given yourself enough time to avoid cramming, so if you start eating and sleeping properly it should be easier to recall information, so do prioritise eating and sleeping. (These are non-negotiables!)

Remember that it's not just about remembering the facts, but being able to write well, so perhaps try to focus on well structured essays, since this is what you are going to have to do in your exams. You are going to have make sense of the facts at speed and write out a well thought out essay, so again you need to be eating and sleeping so you can think clearly.

Take a break and get some fresh air and some Vitamin D! It is difficult to be productive for the whole day, for five weeks straight, so perhaps try and cut your revision sessions to a morning or an afternoon and then use the rest of the day do exercise, laundry, cooking, to watch a movie, read a book (unrelated to your degree), just give yourself that chance to switch off, knowing that you have put in the work that morning or afternoon (quality over quantity!).

Keep at least one day in the week where you do no studying, so that you getting enough rest to feel refreshed for the next week. Rest is just as important as revising. You can't revise properly when you are tired. You are a human being not a machine and that's a good thing!

Finally, remember not everything is going to come up so try not to stress about everything! You have to try cover as many bases as possible, but you also need to think about strategies. If your worst topic comes up, do you know enough to get a decent chunk of the marks? Can you use a mnemonic to help you remember key points? Have you practised writing essays under timed conditions? Are you comfortable writing to a set amount of time?

Do take some time off and do reach out to other classmates/ your tutor to help with the stress.

All the best,

Oluwatosin 3rd year student University of Huddersfield

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending