The Student Room Group

Should I take physics now or is it too late? Can I catch up?

Basically I was an idiot and didn’t know what subjects to take. Now I’ve decided I want to do physics. Problem is, my dumbass delayed the decision and now it’s 7 weeks in (it’s half term where I live, I go to a British school in the Middle East). They have all ready covered at least half of mechanics. And to make matters worse, the mechanics and materials exam for my exam board (IAL edexcel) is in January. I could probably take the exam in June (it’s offered in jan, June and November) along with the other 2 that make up the AS. But I don’t know if the extra hassle would be worth it considering I’m already taking Bio, Chem and Maths exams all in January and June. Would it be possible for me to change subjects now and catch up like crazy, or is it far too late? Considering all I have mentioned.
(edited 6 months ago)
Original post by arshuu_kxx
Basically I was an idiot and didn’t know what subjects to take. Now I’ve decided I want to do physics. Problem is, my dumbass delayed the decision and now it’s 7 weeks in (it’s half term where I live, I go to a British school in the Middle East). They have all ready covered at least half of mechanics. And to make matters worse, the mechanics and materials exam for my exam board (IAL edexcel) is in January. I could probably take the exam in June (it’s offered in jan, June and November) along with the other 2 that make up the AS. But I don’t know if the extra hassle would be worth it considering I’m already taking Bio, Chem and Maths exams all in January and June. Would it be possible for me to change subjects now and catch up like crazy, or is it far too late? Considering all I have mentioned.

Hi @arshuu_kxx,

May I ask if there is a reason to why you've decided to change to physics? Would changing to physics give you a better shot at applying to a specific course in university?

I think it's important that you consult with your school and subject teachers to ask whether it is still possible to apply for a change in subject. How are you currently performing in those three subjects? Changing subjects would require a lot of time and dedication from your behalf for you to catch up with all the missed content. It would take a lot of time away from time for yourself, from your friends and any other social demands.

If you still decide to proceed with the change, and truly believe that switching one of your subjects to physics would do you more good, and be more beneficial for your university application then you should seek your teachers' advice and see whether the change is possible.

Hope this helps,
Danish
BCU Student Rep
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by BCU Student Rep
Hi @arshuu_kxx,

May I ask if there is a reason to why you've decided to change to physics? Would changing to physics give you a better shot at applying to a specific course in university?

I think it's important that you consult with your school and subject teachers to ask whether it is still possible to apply for a change in subject. How are you currently performing in those three subjects? Changing subjects would require a lot of time and dedication from your behalf for you to catch up with all the missed content. It would take a lot of time away from time for yourself, from your friends and any other social demands.

If you still decide to proceed with the change, and truly believe that switching one of your subjects to physics would do you more good, and be more beneficial for your university application then you should seek your teachers' advice and see whether the change is possible.

Hope this helps,
Danish
BCU Student Rep

Well initially i had the standard medicine a levels, bio chem and maths. But then after looking at courses i realised engineering is something I can actually see myself doing much more compared to medicine. So I’d like to keep that option open.
I was drawn to chemical and biomed engineering, and for these courses physics is highly recommended in most unis if not compulsory for top unis (oxbridge + imperial).
(edited 6 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest