The Student Room Group

Mitigating circumstances

So, I've had to take on some caring responsibilities and had adverse family circumstances which has heavily impacted my preparation for exams next week. I want to apply for mitigating circumstances and be able to take the exams in the next exam period. My current circumstances do fall under the policy of my university's mitigating circumstances. It asks for evidence, I can provide a doctor's note, social worker note, student support statement as well. Should that be enough to get accepted and what are my chances?
Reply 1
It will almost certainly be enough for the claim to be accepted, yes - but the mitigation outcome is not pre-determined (usually, anyway) and so if I were you, I'd get involved in this your academic advisor and/or someone from your department who sits on the examination board. This is because they can then put across your preferred outcome as an option - the way this usually works is that examination boards accept the mitigation claim and then they suggest a route forward that will be most beneficial to your grade outcome. If you aren't gonna sit the exams then they will need to have this made explicit in advance. Get onto this ASAP.
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by gjd800
It will almost certainly be enough for the claim to be accepted, yes - but the mitigation outcome is not pre-determined (usually, anyway) and so if I were you, I'd get involved in this your academic advisor and/or someone from your department who sits on the examination board. This is because they can then put across your preferred outcome as an option - the way this usually works is that examination boards accept the mitigation claim and then they suggest a route forward that will be most beneficial to your grade outcome. If you aren't gonna sit the exams then they will need to have this made explicit in advance. Get onto this ASAP.

It says on their policy that the most likely route is to sit the exams in the next exam period. Only in exceptional circumstances it may change. Even if I sit the exam (only if I don't have the outcome by then), they'd void the result and let me sit it in the next exam period. But I'll still let them know of my preferred outcome. Thanks.
Reply 3
Original post by J7591
It says on their policy that the most likely route is to sit the exams in the next exam period. Only in exceptional circumstances it may change. Even if I sit the exam (only if I don't have the outcome by then), they'd void the result and let me sit it in the next exam period. But I'll still let them know of my preferred outcome. Thanks.

This is very good (and a little unusual, in a good way) - just get your paperwork done and in order and you should be well sorted!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending