The Student Room Group

LL B Bachelor of Law

Year 2 results:
Family Law (75)
Public Law 2 (60)
The Law of Torts (72)

I got the above grades in my year 2 exams. WHAT SHOULD I DO NOW APART FROM THE Obvious to increase my employability? Please advise?
Original post by Adamaliakbar
Year 2 results:
Family Law (75)
Public Law 2 (60)
The Law of Torts (72)

I got the above grades in my year 2 exams. WHAT SHOULD I DO NOW APART FROM THE Obvious to increase my employability? Please advise?
Hi, one thing I can recommend is getting some experience e.g. shadowing a solicitor/barrister or volunteering with the Citizens Advice Bureau. I know this is obvious but taking the initiative to get some experience can help you stand out.

Another thing is if you are part of a society then I would recommend becoming a part of the committee for this society as it can help you build key skills that employers are looking for as well as showing them that you have taken on additional responsibilities. If you are not a part of a society then I recommend joining one as even if you are not a part of a committee you can still improve important skills.

If you have some free time then any other volunteering in your community can be very beneficial. Not only will it help you with building upon key skills but it will show your employer what kind of person you are. You mentioned family law so if you are interested in going into that field then possibly volunteer with children, women's shelters, food banks or other family related charities where you can meet a wide variety of people.

Hope this helps 🙂
Sophie (Student Ambassador)
Original post by Adamaliakbar
Year 2 results:
Family Law (75)
Public Law 2 (60)
The Law of Torts (72)

Hi there

There are many ways to increase your employability, the one I hear most during insight days would be getting relevant legal work experience if possible.

Legal work experience may be difficult to secure, however, your grades are strong, so you have good chances of getting a place in vacation schemes, training contracts etc. I would recommend applying for these. However, competition for these opportunities can be quite fierce, and there are other ways to increase your employability: Another really useful way is searching for volunteering, internship opportunities that may be available. Anything that demonstrates your interest in law, or experience in the field can help to boost your CV.

In your 3rd Year, perhaps you could consider going to try out some extracurricular (law related- or non-related activities). Does your law school offer opportunities such as mooting, client-interviewing skills, negotiation skills? These can be really useful for the future, so if you get the chance, get involved in any related opportunities can help you to build a strong profile.

I hope this helps.
Chloe
University of Kent Student Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending