The Student Room Group

taking SQE before getting a training contract

I’m graduating with a min 2.1 from a Russell group uni this year doing a non-law degree. I’m not sure what I want to do after uni but have considered being a solicitor as a possible career path before. I have done legal work experience before (insight scheme and shadowing) but I do not have a training contract. I’m thinking of applying for the MA Law and SQE courses at BPP and Uni of Law and finding a contract from then on. However I’m not sure if this is a waste of time and firms only hire before I’ve completed the SQE etc? I’m not that familiar with this so any advice would really be appreciated! Thank you :smile:
Original post by iloveitsu
I’m graduating with a min 2.1 from a Russell group uni this year doing a non-law degree. I’m not sure what I want to do after uni but have considered being a solicitor as a possible career path before. I have done legal work experience before (insight scheme and shadowing) but I do not have a training contract. I’m thinking of applying for the MA Law and SQE courses at BPP and Uni of Law and finding a contract from then on. However I’m not sure if this is a waste of time and firms only hire before I’ve completed the SQE etc? I’m not that familiar with this so any advice would really be appreciated! Thank you :smile:

sqe 2 is extremely hard to pass without actual workplace experience. the pass rates for sqe aren't great on the whole. on the other hand if you could get through the sqe and are just looking for QWE then this is probably much easier and cheaper for a firm that eventually takes you on, and you don't ruin the risk of being sacked due to failing sqe

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending