The Student Room Group

GCSE pls help

I just did my mocks (December mocks) and things are not looking too good :frown: My predicted are stupidly high (9s in all sciences, maths etc.) and its got my mum’s hopes so high. I know my mocks were not terrible, I think all of them will be around 5/6/7. However, I’m super worried because 1.) my chemistry was horrid, oh my lord I don’t know what I was thinking in that exam, because honestly I probably was not thinking. when I remember what I wrote down for some of those questions jesusss , that is def a 6 MAX 😭 2.) ALLL the math papers they gave us were 2018 or something, so all the papers I had done the night before as revision, so it felt like cheating because I could literally remember the mark scheme exactly 3.) I didn’t do any revision this holiday… 4.) I can’t remember any of my mock revision either 😭 PLEASE do I still have hope :frown: I want 7/8/9s but atp there is no light at the end of the tunnel. I know I should have revised over these holidays, but I spent the entire time wallowing in self pity and crying because I genuinely think I’m doomed. Those mocks made me so depressed even Christmas was sad 💀 Is it possible to step it up in like, 4 months :frown: It’s not looking too good for me 😞
Original post by B_____
I just did my mocks (December mocks) and things are not looking too good :frown: My predicted are stupidly high (9s in all sciences, maths etc.) and its got my mum’s hopes so high. I know my mocks were not terrible, I think all of them will be around 5/6/7. However, I’m super worried because 1.) my chemistry was horrid, oh my lord I don’t know what I was thinking in that exam, because honestly I probably was not thinking. when I remember what I wrote down for some of those questions jesusss , that is def a 6 MAX 😭 2.) ALLL the math papers they gave us were 2018 or something, so all the papers I had done the night before as revision, so it felt like cheating because I could literally remember the mark scheme exactly 3.) I didn’t do any revision this holiday… 4.) I can’t remember any of my mock revision either 😭 PLEASE do I still have hope :frown: I want 7/8/9s but atp there is no light at the end of the tunnel. I know I should have revised over these holidays, but I spent the entire time wallowing in self pity and crying because I genuinely think I’m doomed. Those mocks made me so depressed even Christmas was sad 💀 Is it possible to step it up in like, 4 months :frown: It’s not looking too good for me 😞

You absolutely have plenty of time!!
I know teachers say that mocks are prep for the real thing but honestly they're so different.
During your actual gcses- you literally only have 1 exam a day so you actually have plenty of time during the exams themselves.
You really only need to start revising regularly from Easter onwards because otherwise you'll just get burnt out.
I'm in year 13 now but I got mostly 7s in my November mocks in year 11 and then got all 9s and 1 8 in the real things and I did no revision until April kind of time- honestly its not as bad as you think, most of the time schools stress you out on purpose to encourage you to revise but they don't realize this doesn't work for everyone.
Reply 2
Original post by ketchupavalanche
You absolutely have plenty of time!!
I know teachers say that mocks are prep for the real thing but honestly they're so different.
During your actual gcses- you literally only have 1 exam a day so you actually have plenty of time during the exams themselves.
You really only need to start revising regularly from Easter onwards because otherwise you'll just get burnt out.
I'm in year 13 now but I got mostly 7s in my November mocks in year 11 and then got all 9s and 1 8 in the real things and I did no revision until April kind of time- honestly its not as bad as you think, most of the time schools stress you out on purpose to encourage you to revise but they don't realize this doesn't work for everyone.

hi I am currently doing my combined science gcsse this may-june but i dont know some of the content so i am currently making digital anki flashcards and will then quickly go over the topics and then use my flashcards to help me remember is this effective and do i have enough time for this ? as there are so many topics for each science
Reply 3
Original post by B_____

i think that it is normal to worry like this and it isnt cheating if you revised and it just happened to come up i dont honestly think youll fail your exams good luck!
Original post by s_19969
hi I am currently doing my combined science gcsse this may-june but i dont know some of the content so i am currently making digital anki flashcards and will then quickly go over the topics and then use my flashcards to help me remember is this effective and do i have enough time for this ? as there are so many topics for each science

Flashcards are great for learning the key definitions and equations and knowledge that you need to know but I think it's sort of a waste of time writing all of your content onto those- obviously its down to if they work for you, flashcards weren't great for me but that's because I literally forgot I made them so never used them. Doing them on anki is probably great to actually quiz yourself though!
Personally, practice questions on physicsandmathstutor website was the most helpful because you come to realise that the questions are basically the same each time so every question you practice is actually preparing you to sit the exam as you learn directly from the markscheme. It seems like a lot of content to cover but if you gradually work through it, its not too bad.
You have more time than you think and have enough time during actual exam leave in may-june time to cram content- like in general you have one exam a day in the morning so you can come home and then cram for 6 hours straight if you really need to (and honestly teachers always tell you cramming doesn't work but its actually great especially because it lets you know exactly what you don't know).
GOod luck!

Quick Reply

Latest