The Student Room Group

Electrician Pathway

Hello,

My boyfriend failed his maths and English GCSE therefore not being allowed to do a level 3 BTEC course in college. He wanted to be an electrician (he's unsure of the specific area but he mentioned liking electrical installation). Is there any way that he can get an apprenticeship? He knows he will need to pass his Maths and English but he was wondering whether there are different pathways he could take. Are there any companies/organisation where he could start working in and work his way up?

Anyone who's been in the same position? Any advice is much appreciated, thank you!!!
Reply 1
Original post by Sbautista
Hello,

My boyfriend failed his maths and English GCSE therefore not being allowed to do a level 3 BTEC course in college. He wanted to be an electrician (he's unsure of the specific area but he mentioned liking electrical installation). Is there any way that he can get an apprenticeship? He knows he will need to pass his Maths and English but he was wondering whether there are different pathways he could take. Are there any companies/organisation where he could start working in and work his way up?

Anyone who's been in the same position? Any advice is much appreciated, thank you!!!

I would recommend that he looks into multiverse, it’s a website with a bunch of level 3+ apprenticeships.
Reply 2
Hello,

Hi Sbautista, I have been an electrician for around 9 years now and can tell you there is many different ways into the trade. Can I ask how old your husband is?
Reply 3
Original post by Sparky_
Hi Sbautista, I have been an electrician for around 9 years now and can tell you there is many different ways into the trade. Can I ask how old your husband is?

Hello! Sorry for the late reply. He's only 23! Still quite young so was wondering if there were any preparatory things he could do.
Reply 4
Hello! Sorry for the late reply. He's only 23! Still quite young so was wondering if there were any preparatory things he could do.

Not to worry. For your own and his benefit rather than anything else. I think he is a good age for this most definitely. Whereabouts do you live so I can give you some suggestions?
Reply 5
Original post by Sparky_
Not to worry. For your own and his benefit rather than anything else. I think he is a good age for this most definitely. Whereabouts do you live so I can give you some suggestions?

In Bridgwater! I was hoping Bristol might have some opportunities there as it's a big city but anywhere will be fine!
Reply 6
In Bridgwater! I was hoping Bristol might have some opportunities there as it's a big city but anywhere will be fine!

Ooo I don't actually know any around that area. I like to use this electrical training centre as a good point of reference as they only do industry recognised qualifications and are family owned which I liked about them. He should probably try to find a similar course to this package and get fully qualified https://www.learntradeskills.co.uk/product/gold-card-electrical-course/

Alternatively if he is not sure still a basic electrical course for a beginner might be a good idea just to get a taste of things before fully committing to anything

Let me know how you get along and need any advice

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending