The Student Room Group

College and further studies

I am currently a student at college studying level 1 maths and English until I get to my level 2 maths and English and I'll be studying throughout the summer until I study my GCSEs maths, English and biology.

I'm also autistic and dyslexic and I need extra time to find out what I want to do if I want to become a scientist, counsellor or electrician. Biology and chemistry degree would be the two subjects I have in mind.

Can anybody help me decide what to do next?

I might need some extra careers advice tho
Reply 1
Original post by uranium199842t
I am currently a student at college studying level 1 maths and English until I get to my level 2 maths and English and I'll be studying throughout the summer until I study my GCSEs maths, English and biology.

I'm also autistic and dyslexic and I need extra time to find out what I want to do if I want to become a scientist, counsellor or electrician. Biology and chemistry degree would be the two subjects I have in mind.

Can anybody help me decide what to do next?

I might need some extra careers advice tho

That's awesome well done! I'm doing GCSEs at the moment as well, they're super useful.

My advice with careers would always be to think about your ideal job or where you want to be at the end and then figure out what qualifications you need to get there. You mentioned scientist, counsellor and electrician - what specifically do you like about the idea of those professions? Do you have any hobbies or interests you're really passionate about? Do you ever hear about what people in a particular sector are doing and think 'that sounds like something I'd really like to do'? Have you worked before and if so was there any specific part of your job you really liked (or really didn't)?

Nobody can decide what's right for you but you, but there are lots of people out there who can give you advice! Does your college have any kind of careers advisor? If not your local jobcenter might be a good place to ask, they have careers advisors.

Good luck!
Reply 2
Original post by JaceW98
That's awesome well done! I'm doing GCSEs at the moment as well, they're super useful.

My advice with careers would always be to think about your ideal job or where you want to be at the end and then figure out what qualifications you need to get there. You mentioned scientist, counsellor and electrician - what specifically do you like about the idea of those professions? Do you have any hobbies or interests you're really passionate about? Do you ever hear about what people in a particular sector are doing and think 'that sounds like something I'd really like to do'? Have you worked before and if so was there any specific part of your job you really liked (or really didn't)?

Nobody can decide what's right for you but you, but there are lots of people out there who can give you advice! Does your college have any kind of careers advisor? If not your local jobcenter might be a good place to ask, they have careers advisors.

Good luck

Well it really depends on fate if I complete my level 1 maths with my local college and then I need to do level 2 next year then I'll study level 2 plumbing which is a full time course and then decide what I would like to do next.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending