The Student Room Group

second year student- procrastination

Hi to whoever may read this,
I am honestly really struggling to motivate myself to prepare thoroughly for exams. I don’t think I am incapable of performing well but I know I haven’t done enough preparation and might fail. I even tried going to the library frequently, made plans, timetables, routines but I still am drowning in anxiety and I guess I fear the work will be too hard and boring. How do people overcome this or find the drive to want to succeed? It’s not that I don’t want to well but I can’t stay consistent or utilise my time wisely. Anybody got some advice? I’m so tired of being this way but I don’t know how to stop.
Hi anon,
I went to a similar thing in my second year. The first year really spoils us in terms of procrastination and not counting and the shift to the second year is difficult.
I had realised that going to the library to study was a bad idea for me because I would study for 30-40 mins and then take hours long break with my friends. So my first step was finding a place to study where I knew nothing would distract me.
The second thing I did was make a separate profile on my laptop for uni work and that didn't have any email, Netflix, Hulu, Spotify etc logged in. So I wouldn't just switch tabs and start watching Netflix.
I didn't make a routine of my day, but of what needs to be covered by when, which made me realise time really was limited with a lot of material to cover and that motivated me to start studying.
I didn't force myself to suddenly start waking up at 6am to study or study until 4am. I started the schedule gradually, like studying from 1-4pm then 6-9pm. Then following week start 11am, then 9am, just so my body would first get in the habit of studying before it fights sleep.

Also for all topics, I watched videos on youtube that explain more graphically, which made me realise that the modules are actually way more interesting than I thought. It also helped me understand the topics a lot better and i could remember it all during exams because of the visual representation that stayed in my head.

I would also suggest that you keep a progress track with your friends. Just online like on WhatsApp, communicating how much they've done and what you've done. If you are behind them it will motive you to catch up, and if you manage to get ahead you will try to stay ahead and that competitiveness will motivate you.

You will have to push yourself for about 3-5 days then you will actually start enjoying the grind and look forward to it. Just for a week try to not get distracted but also give yourself proper breaks to relax. In the night, hang out with your friends, play video games, continue whatever series you're watching.

I hope everything goes well for you🙂
Vyomika
LU Student Ambassador
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hi anon,
I went to a similar thing in my second year. The first year really spoils us in terms of procrastination and not counting and the shift to the second year is difficult.
I had realised that going to the library to study was a bad idea for me because I would study for 30-40 mins and then take hours long break with my friends. So my first step was finding a place to study where I knew nothing would distract me.
The second thing I did was make a separate profile on my laptop for uni work and that didn't have any email, Netflix, Hulu, Spotify etc logged in. So I wouldn't just switch tabs and start watching Netflix.
I didn't make a routine of my day, but of what needs to be covered by when, which made me realise time really was limited with a lot of material to cover and that motivated me to start studying.
I didn't force myself to suddenly start waking up at 6am to study or study until 4am. I started the schedule gradually, like studying from 1-4pm then 6-9pm. Then following week start 11am, then 9am, just so my body would first get in the habit of studying before it fights sleep.

Also for all topics, I watched videos on youtube that explain more graphically, which made me realise that the modules are actually way more interesting than I thought. It also helped me understand the topics a lot better and i could remember it all during exams because of the visual representation that stayed in my head.

I would also suggest that you keep a progress track with your friends. Just online like on WhatsApp, communicating how much they've done and what you've done. If you are behind them it will motive you to catch up, and if you manage to get ahead you will try to stay ahead and that competitiveness will motivate you.

You will have to push yourself for about 3-5 days then you will actually start enjoying the grind and look forward to it. Just for a week try to not get distracted but also give yourself proper breaks to relax. In the night, hang out with your friends, play video games, continue whatever series you're watching.

Vyomika
LU Student Ambassador

Hi there

It is normal to feel demotivated sometimes at University. Most people will experience it some time, and it is important to get over the feeling quickly.

Things that I have found useful myself include:

Organising workloads into small chunks, completing small tasks and then awarding myself with a break is quite useful in helping me get through my work.

Address the difficult tasks at the start of the day, where you are more energetic, leave the easier tasks later on in the day.

Getting in touch with friends to study together, I find myself more motivated when there are others studying with me. But just make sure you are not too distracted at the same time.

It is good to hear that you have made timetables for your studies, just make sure they are not too overloaded, so you are giving yourself sufficient breaks.

Try to stay away from electronical devices when studying, or turn off notifications. They can be really distracting and stop you once you get started.

Good luck.
Chloe
University of Kent Student Rep
Original post by Anonymous #1
I am honestly really struggling to motivate myself to prepare thoroughly for exams. I don’t think I am incapable of performing well but I know I haven’t done enough preparation and might fail. I even tried going to the library frequently, made plans, timetables, routines but I still am drowning in anxiety and I guess I fear the work will be too hard and boring. How do people overcome this or find the drive to want to succeed? It’s not that I don’t want to well but I can’t stay consistent or utilise my time wisely. Anybody got some advice? I’m so tired of being this way but I don’t know how to stop.

Hi, it's difficult to motivate ourselves to prepare for exams.
It's useful to list everything you're anxious about and create ways of how you can overcome the anxiety and often the best way to overcome feelings of the work being boring and difficult is to start revising and get stuck into it. From this, you might find there are loads of topics you find interesting which will make revision more enjoyable. Other things that also help are eliminating distractions, creating a clean and quiet study environment and a consistent and healthy routine with allocated time for revision and regular breaks, active recall and a healthy lifestyle with plenty of sleep, exercise and balanced diet. Hope this helps!
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hi anon,

Vyomika
LU Student Ambassador

This was super helpful!!! I’ll definitely try to incorporate this into my routine. Thank you :smile:
Original post by University of Kent
Hi there

It is normal to feel demotivated sometimes at University. Most people will experience it some time, and it is important to get over the feeling quickly.

Things that I have found useful myself include:

Organising workloads into small chunks, completing small tasks and then awarding myself with a break is quite useful in helping me get through my work.

Address the difficult tasks at the start of the day, where you are more energetic, leave the easier tasks later on in the day.

Getting in touch with friends to study together, I find myself more motivated when there are others studying with me. But just make sure you are not too distracted at the same time.

It is good to hear that you have made timetables for your studies, just make sure they are not too overloaded, so you are giving yourself sufficient breaks.

Try to stay away from electronical devices when studying, or turn off notifications. They can be really distracting and stop you once you get started.

Good luck.
Chloe
University of Kent Student Rep

I will definitely consider some of these!! Thank you :smile:
Original post by SOAS Student Rep
Hi, it's difficult to motivate ourselves to prepare for exams.
It's useful to list everything you're anxious about and create ways of how you can overcome the anxiety and often the best way to overcome feelings of the work being boring and difficult is to start revising and get stuck into it. From this, you might find there are loads of topics you find interesting which will make revision more enjoyable. Other things that also help are eliminating distractions, creating a clean and quiet study environment and a consistent and healthy routine with allocated time for revision and regular breaks, active recall and a healthy lifestyle with plenty of sleep, exercise and balanced diet. Hope this helps!

I’m definitely working on trying to overcome my anxiety and will try to make some lifestyle changes! Thank you :smile:
Original post by tryingherbest3
I’m definitely working on trying to overcome my anxiety and will try to make some lifestyle changes! Thank you :smile:

No worries at all, Best of luck!

Hi there,

I am also in second year and it is a big jump from first year and I have also found it hard keeping myself motivated to keep studying and getting everything I need done!

Some things that I think have helped me are:

Setting time limits for things. I like to work out how long I think it will take me to do a task and then make sure I try and stick to this as it means I will have time to do everything that I need to get done.

Writing to do lists. Sounds simple but this has really helped me to get more motivated as I can look at the list that I have made myself and see what I've got done and still got to do.

Breaking down tasks so they don't seem too overwhelming has also helped me. Rather than having on my to do list 'write assignment', I like to split it up into different parts that need doing so it is easier to tick off and doesn't seem as big of a task.

Making sure I schedule in time for myself! Making sure you have time for fun things will motivate you more as it means you can look forward to doing a fun activity and it makes me feel less stressed.

I hope some of this helps!
Lucy -SHU student ambassador.

Hey!
Don’t worry, it’s very common to feel overwhelmed because internally we feel there’s so much to do in such a short period of time. Firstly, I would advise you to make a realistic exam prep to-do list that can be achieved before your exams. I personally feel many time we try to do everything, especially when we are procrastinating, we act like it’s first day of the term and then feel overwhelmed and not do anything. Further, I would ask you to just sit down for 15 mins, and try to prep for exams. The key is to start small, and do manageable tasks to make it less daunting. Lastly, you should take frequent short breaks to avoid getting too monotonous and also, may be join a study group to keep yourself accountable.

Remember the key is just small consistent efforts. All the Best!

Best Wishes
Priya :smile:
Postgraduate Ambassador
University of Southampton
(edited 3 months ago)

Anon,

It is difficult to stay motivated when you are going over things again and again and perhaps some of it is sticking and perhaps some of it isn't. It's also tough when you know that you have to be focused and that is making you feel like you can't focus because the stress or pressure is making you resist the very thought of studying!

In the past, I have found music really helpful. I find having a motivational song/ playlist helps me feel more energised and have more belief that I can get the work done.

If I have been at my desk for a long time, getting up and moving also helps. I find doing a bit of exercise helps me to focus better.

Finally, I also find having something to look forward after a day revising is also helpful e.g. watching a movie, reading a book or cooking a nice meal helps me to just switch off from the day and feels like a little reward.

Hope that helps.

All the best,

Oluwatosin 3rd year student University of Huddersfield

Hi there!

The change into second year can be a really big jump as everyone on here has already said!

If i am feeling really demotivated, i find study groups really helpful as having some accountability is great for getting yourself motivated to go!

Try making a list for the week of everything you need to get done and breaking this down into small chunks to do each day, i found this helpful!

I hope this helps,
Rebecca

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending