The Student Room Group

On the edge of failing second year uni ...

I'm a second year computing student and I'm snowed under with 2 assignments all have to be completed by the 27th of April. (At the time of posting it's the 17th).

So I have 10 days to complete 2 unfinished projects, one of which being my Advanced project that's year-long which we have to present to an audience on the 3rd of May. (the good news being that the assignment itself is due at the end of may)

I guess it's my fault for not planning ahead of time and starting these assignments 3/4 months ago and I accept that but, having done about 50% of them both at this point, Is there still hope for me, or should I just accept I messed up and I'm going to fail my course??

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Update Aug 2023

Thought I'd update in case anyone stumbles across this, I ended up setting incredibly strict deadlines (that didn't stop me from staying up a lot of nights anyway) and ended up surprisingly passing with okay grades. will be slightly more difficult for a 2:1 next yr but hey I still graduated (wasn't even close to failing), and at least I'll get to pick modules that interest me in final year, dedicate more time to projects and know what exactly NOT todo lol.

Also ty to everyone that replied to this, really helped in the moment. :smile:
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by Kamitsu
I'm a second year computing student and I'm snowed under with 2 assignments all have to be completed by the 27th of April. (At the time of posting it's the 17th).

So I have 10 days to complete 2 unfinished projects, one of which being my Advanced project that's year-long which we have to present to an audience on the 3rd of May. (the good news being that the assignment itself is due at the end of may)

I guess it's my fault for not planning ahead of time and starting these assignments 3/4 months ago and I accept that but, having done about 50% of them both at this point, Is there still hope for me, or should I just accept I messed up and I'm going to fail my course??

there is still hope! work 7+ hours a day for the next 10 days and you’ll pass with flying colours! (also if you’re religious then pray! i swear it works).
Original post by Kamitsu

Hey @Kamitsu! Why don't you try to come up with a serious plan for your next few weeks with clear deadlines of your tasks with what needs done and when. Come up with a structured study plan and work as best as you can to meet your own manageable deadlines with the goal of meeting your final ones. You're only going to give yourself a decent chance of getting the work done by starting soon and being as productive as you can with the time you have left. A good way of managing could be to set yourself achievable tasks each day (i.e. don't overwhelm yourself).

It won't do you much good to resign yourself to the idea of failing your assignments and course just now :redface: If you're half way to completing them then that's at least something though! Ultimately what happens over the next few months is in your hands, you just need to get yourself in the right head space to try and get things done :smile:

Good luck!
- Caitlin :h:
Official University of Strathclyde Rep
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
there is still hope! work 7+ hours a day for the next 10 days and you’ll pass with flying colours! (also if you’re religious then pray! i swear it works).

Thanks, I hope so.. I'm setting 7am alarms every day and making sure I'm doing something significant every day. I'm still ******** myself but hopefully, it pays off ... darn procrastination
Hi there,

So I would make a clear, and strict timetable that you MUST stick too. You could use the Pomodoro technique (google it) to make sure you are working efficiently by taking regular breaks - in this time you can 'procrastinate' in any way you usually do, and then get the work done in the other times!

Be sure to devote a good amount of time to both assignments - it is better to say score 60 and 60, than to score 40 and 70...

I'm sure you can do it - good luck!

Malachy - University of Liverpool Student Rep
Reply 5
Thought I'd update in case anyone stumbles across this, I ended up setting incredibly strict deadlines (that didn't stop me from staying up a lot of nights anyway) and ended up surprisingly passing with okay grades. will be slightly more difficult for a 2:1 next yr but hey I still graduated (wasn't even close to failing), and at least I'll get to pick modules that interest me in final year, dedicate more time to projects and know what exactly NOT todo lol.

also ty to everyone that replied to this, really helped in the moment.
Original post by Kamitsu

also ty to everyone that replied to this, really helped in the moment.

Hey @Kamitsu Massive congrats!! Well done :smile: I work best under pressure (always a bit of a last minute study-er myself!) so I know how relieved you must feel. Wishing you tons of luck for your final year! Hope you've got a good academic diary sorted to keep you on track lol!

- Caitlin :h:
Official University of Strathclyde Rep

PS thanks for the update too, it's so nice to hear back from someone in a thread :five:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending