The Student Room Group

University of Suffolk student life

Hey. I am applying for Suffolk university and love the university but have struggled to find much about student life in Ipswich itself. Is there much to do there e.g student pubs or green spaces to spend time in? I’m not local so don’t know much about the area but would love to find out if there are things to do outside of studying. Anything you can give me would be really appreciated :smile:
Christ Church Park is one of the main parks there and they hold events throughout the year, a couple of shoutouts are music in the park (which might have been renamed now) but there had 6 stages last year and the Indian summer mela (The food is AMAZING!).

There are also a bunch on restaurants and bars in the town which are targeted to students/younger people. Felixstowe is super close if you want to go to the beach and get some chips and London isn't far by train as well.
Original post by Anonymous #1
Hey. I am applying for Suffolk university and love the university but have struggled to find much about student life in Ipswich itself. Is there much to do there e.g student pubs or green spaces to spend time in? I’m not local so don’t know much about the area but would love to find out if there are things to do outside of studying. Anything you can give me would be really appreciated :smile:

Hi there,

Current student at Uni of Suffolk here. So glad you'll be joining us!
I'm also not local and just moved to Ipswich about 5 months ago. I personally think Ipswich is a cute little town and there is plenty to do if you know the right places. You have to bear in mind that we are a small university so student life might not be as developed as in other bigger universities and cities.
That being said, we do have a good Student's Union and a student cafe and bar called The Mix which is located on the Waterfront, so it's quite nice and central and they facilitate a lot of Student's Union organized events. And there are a few pubs in town which give good student discounts as well.
Ipswich has plenty of green spaces. I would say the top places to relax and take a stroll are Christchurch park, Holywells park and Alexandra park. And of course, it's always nice to take a walk on the Waterfont.
Another good thing about life in Ipswich is that everything is walking distance mostly and you won't really need to use public transport, at least I don't.
Hope this helps and if you have any other questions, feel free to ask! 🙂

Milena
MA Creative and Critical Writing at Uni of Suffolk
Reply 3
Thank you so much! This has been really helpful :smile:
Original post by Anonymous #1

Worst decision of my life going to Suffolk. If you want a social life then definitely don’t go here!! There’s a very few clubs and no societies. Not many students live in halls and they don’t put on any activities so you don’t get a chance to meet people. Anywhere is better than Suffolk. I didn’t realise just how lonely a person could get until I went to this uni. Hope you’ve applied to other unis too!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending