The Student Room Group

Revision and Paper practicing.

How many Months prior to the exam should I leave out for Revision and Paper practicing ?
My exam start on the 7th of 2024. My exam board is Edexcel IAS.
Original post by AMAYA WIJESINGHE
How many Months prior to the exam should I leave out for Revision and Paper practicing ?

Hi @AMAYA WIJESINGHE,

In my opinion, I don't think it's ever too early to start revising even though the exam date seems like it's decades away. Obviously, you don't need to start grinding multiple past papers per day, but a method I recommend you try out is to go over textbook or revision notes of a particular topic you feel needs brushing up on, and attempt topical questions for that topic.

Familiarising yourself with the format and question types within your past papers will help you improve any revision techniques, ultimately reducing any anxiety and stress you may experience on the exam date as you'll already be so familiar and confident through all the practice.

Hope this helps,
Danish
BCU Student Rep
Hi@DanishBCU Student Rep,

Yes, It did help me a lot. Much thanks for you quick and generous reply. There is another issue I would Like to cope with in a jiffy. That is my ignorance to Biology as a whole. I am very much interested in Physics and Chemistry but not Biology. I have been skipping studying/practicing Biology at every chance because I might be too afraid to even start. Since I am an AL student I might even be leading myself into grave danger by concentrating on only 1 subject.

This is a kind request to advise me on this matter. How can I start studying Biology from the beginning ? How can I get used to the answering pattern of the biology papers to get an A pass in just 3 months ?

P.s. My IAS exam starts on the 7th of May 2024 .

Thank you.
Amaya Wijesinghe
Hi@DanishBCU Student Rep,

Yes, It did help me a lot. Much thanks for you quick and generous reply. There is another issue I would Like to cope with in a jiffy. That is my ignorance to Biology as a whole. I am very much interested in Physics and Chemistry but not Biology. I have been skipping studying/practicing Biology at every chance because I might be too afraid to even start. Since I am an AL student I might even be leading myself into grave danger by concentrating on only 1 subject.

This is a kind request to advise me on this matter. How can I start studying Biology from the beginning ? How can I get used to the answering pattern of the biology papers to get an A pass in just 3 months ?

P.s. My IAS exam starts on the 7th of May 2024 .

Thank you.
Amaya Wijesinghe

Hi @AMAYA WIJESINGHE,

I completely understand where you're coming from, I kept delaying the revision for subjects I didn't like very much as well. My top tip for you to start biology is to start by reading the specification points. Go through each of the topics, and the bullet points under each topic. The specification will be your best friend as it highlights exactly everything you will need to know for your exam. Nothing more, and nothing less.

Since you've said you wanted to start Biology from the beginning, for each topic you can revise by going through textbooks and making notes. I've found that flashcards work particularly well for me in Biology. Once I feel like my understanding of the topic is good, I recommend you attempt topical past paper questions.

You can attempt to revise one topic per day in chronological order. Read textbook, make notes, flashcards, memorise, topical past paper questions. Repeat.

I think this would be a viable option for you to do considering your timeframe and how much content you have to cover.

Hope this helps,
Danish
BCU Student Rep
Hi@ DanishBCU Student Rep,

Your response has sparked interest in me just as I thought it would. Just another small concern though. How many months prior to the exam should I start doing past papers ? I have around 110 days till my AS exam. Should I start now itself or must I start it 3 months before the exam ?

Thank You.
Amaya Wijesinghe.
Hi@ DanishBCU Student Rep,

Your response has sparked interest in me just as I thought it would. Just another small concern though. How many months prior to the exam should I start doing past papers ? I have around 110 days till my AS exam. Should I start now itself or must I start it 3 months before the exam ?

Thank You.
Amaya Wijesinghe.

Hi @AMAYA WIJESINGHE

Just following on from Danish's advice, I would start by covering your content first and then attempting the past papers/questions. In my opinion, it's never too early to start revising, so maybe you could try some content revision, then some past papers. Even if you find after doing some exam questions that you weren't quite ready, this will be able to help you determine what you need to do next to keep progressing.

And it's also worth going back and re-answering some exam questions later on in your revision to see if you are able to pick up some extra marks after doing some more revision.

Hopefully this answers your question! Good luck!

Emily
Student Rep at BCU 🙂
Hi@Emily,

Indeed it has helped me. Thank you for your generous help. I wish to work accordingly.
As I am an International Student, I would like to know a specific thing. How are the fees structures for Edexcel IAL exams in your country ?. I wish to know the comparative rates.
Thank you.
Amaya.
Hi@Emily,

Indeed it has helped me. Thank you for your generous help. I wish to work accordingly.
As I am an International Student, I would like to know a specific thing. How are the fees structures for Edexcel IAL exams in your country ?. I wish to know the comparative rates.
Thank you.
Amaya.

Hi @AMAYA WIJESINGHE

Great to hear!

This is something I don't know too much about personally. I've had a look online and found the following web page that might be able to help. If you can't find what you're looking for, you could always contact Pearson Edexcel online.

https://qualifications.pearson.com/en/qualifications/edexcel-international-advanced-levels.html

Emily 🙂
Hi! I would say there's no time like the present to start revising! It'll make you feel calmer about your approaching exams and also you will be able to identify what areas you need to work on. Write a list of what topics will be on the exam and then colour code them based on how confident you feel, then start on a topic you know you need to work on. Do this with the topics and then the next step would be a past paper! Mark it (or as a teacher to) and then study how to correctly answer the ones you got wrong. Best of luck with everything!

Quick Reply

Latest