The Student Room Group

wld it make sense to get a tutor at uni if you're falling behind?

I'm falling behind in one of my modules, and I don't understand what's going on in the lectures. I feel like no one has a private tutor at uni but also I wouldn't advertise it hugely if it was me so maybe it's not that uncommon? Or is it useless? I keep getting ads for dubious "tutors" who sound like they might offer to sit my exam and blackmail me for the rest of my life. Anyway if someone has a tutor or has an alternative suggestion would love to hear thoughts! The only thing about rewatching the lectures on my own is that I don't trust my discipline anymore...
Seems perfectly reasonable, assuming it's actual tutoring and not some kind of paying for assignment writing service!
Reply 2
Original post by artful_lounger
Seems perfectly reasonable, assuming it's actual tutoring and not some kind of paying for assignment writing service!

thanks for the reply! yeah of course I just wanna catch up asap and start understanding the lectures as I sit in them. Does anyone have any suggestion on whether I should look for a tutor online (trustable website) or ask around people from the year above?
Hi!

I absolutely reccomend tutors if you feel like you need it. I had a tutor for a course I was struggling with. I was a bit embarassed when I first started, but it was so helpful for me in the end that my insecurities went away. I do agree with you that many people don't talk about it.

I do agree that some tutors are not the best. My reccomendation is to maybe talk to your lecturer and see if they could reccomend any person/service. They usually have good insight to this since they are the most familiar to their field. In my experience, my professor actually introduced me to another student who was a tutor from an upper year and it was super helpful.

Happy to answer more questions about this or anything else about classes. :smile:

Aleks (She/her) - 3rd year law student
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 4
I think if you're not understanding before paying out I'd speak to your lecturers. Ask them for further reading material to clarify etc. Failing that speak with your personal tutor about how you're struggling and they may have suggestions for legit tutors. Also there are sometimes provisions to do workshops but they're not always advertised.
Original post by Anonymous
thanks for the reply! yeah of course I just wanna catch up asap and start understanding the lectures as I sit in them. Does anyone have any suggestion on whether I should look for a tutor online (trustable website) or ask around people from the year above?

Maybe try asking the module leader? They might know of e.g. a PhD in the department who would be available and happy to take on some tutoring work or something :smile:
A tutor could be a good idea. Again, as has been said before in this thread, avoid those assignment writing services like the plague. It is definitely worth speaking to your course's academic team. When I was in my undergraduate course, I fell behind a few weeks due to illness. When I came back, I was guided through the study material by my lecturers. I understand this may not always be an option, but it is worth asking.
Reply 7
Original post by NULondon Aleks
Hi!

I absolutely reccomend tutors if you feel like you need it. I had a tutor for a course I was struggling with. I was a bit embarassed when I first started, but it was so helpful for me in the end that my insecurities went away. I do agree with you that many people don't talk about it.

I do agree that some tutors are not the best. My reccomendation is to maybe talk to your lecturer and see if they could reccomend any person/service. They usually have good insight to this since they are the most familiar to their field. In my experience, my professor actually introduced me to another student who was a tutor from an upper year and it was super helpful.

Happy to answer more questions about this or anything else about classes. :smile:

Aleks (She/her) - 3rd year law student

thank you for the kind, helpful and personal response! can I ask how much you paid the upper year student for the service? And how long you did it for; how frequent; what did you do in each session etc.
Original post by Anonymous #1
thank you for the kind, helpful and personal response! can I ask how much you paid the upper year student for the service? And how long you did it for; how frequent; what did you do in each session etc.

Of course! It really depends on the tutor, at the time I believe i paid between £40/hr-£60/hr. Apologies it was a little bit ago so my memory is foggy on that detail. I met with them once every two weeks to go over assignments or concepts I was struggling with. I only met them through a course of a few months.

I would still talk to your lectuerer before though, they usually have such good insight to this. I have known other students who were able to sit down one on one with their lecturer to go over their questions at no cost. University's really want to help you and can even sometimes pair you with a tutor themselves!

Hopefully that helps :smile:

Aleks - 3rd year law student

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending