The Student Room Group

Picking between Durham and Manchester

I'm trying to figure out what my last choice will be on UCAS, since I'm withdrawing one of my offers after the course was discontinued. It's come down to Social Anthropology and Sociology at Manchester, or Anth and Sociology at Durham.

To list a few things that matter to me at uni:
- somewhere that is quieter
- where everything is quite close-by (since I have health conditions that make it hard for me to get around a lot)
- accommodation that offers separate rooms and bathrooms (due to personal reference as well as health reasons - I'm ill a lot so will be indoors often)
-understanding and accommodating about chronic illness
- lower crime rates - I'm very scared of being on the streets lol
- engaged and generally nice professors, lecturers, tutors, etc...
- tolerable students, I've heard some not so nice stuff about Durham students...
- whichever is regarded to have a better teaching style
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by TeaOnRice
I'm trying to figure out what my last choice will be on UCAS, since I'm withdrawing one of my offers after the course was discontinued. It's come down to Social Anthropology and Sociology at Manchester, or Anth and Sociology at Durham.

- where everything is quite close-by (since I have health conditions that make it hard for me to get around a lot)
- accommodation that offers separate rooms and bathrooms (due to personal reference as well as health reasons - I'm ill a lot so will be indoors often)
- tolerable students, I've heard some not so nice stuff about Durham students...

Durham is a city of with students there i believe about 40000, manchester has more students than durham has people. So Durham is massivly more quiet, in regards to distance both are city unis, I personally have never visited manchester but durham for the most part is quiet close depending on college allocation, I think your building is near the bailey. I honestly wouldnt stress to much for the whole student stories they happen everywhere at every top uni.
Reply 2
As above, totally different Uni environments. Think about the size of Uni/city you would feel most comfortable with.
Also look carefully at all years of each course - there will be different optional units - which would you choose, which course interests you the most?
Durham is definately the quieter city/uni
Reply 4
Original post by TeaOnRice

Hello, I studied Social Anthropology at Manchester and graduated last July. I really enjoyed my course and most of the lecturers were very engaging. However, the social anthropology course is heavily impacted by marking/lecture strikes so keep this in mind. I don’t know if Durham faces similar issues, so I can only speak for my course. I had my graduation ceremony in July but I only received my degree classification in December due to the marking boycott.

I loved the city of Manchester, however, it’s not what I would call a quiet place. To be close to things, such as university buildings/shops etc, it’s best to live in the city, around the Oxford Road area. This is a main street in Manchester and it may be overwhelming if you are wary of hustle & bustle/crime rates.

Finding accommodation that suits your needs should be straight forward - whether it’s private owned or university halls. I remember there being plenty of choice.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending