The Student Room Group

how to deal with definite failure

so ive just sat an exam and the pass mark is 40% and i know i certainly did not get that (as in, there is not even a chance i got above 20%). not only does this mean i have failed the exam it also means i have to retake in august so ill have to pay for a hotel room and transportation to the exam venue (as i live too far away to travel there just for the exam). im feeling super depressed about it, does anyone have any words of wisdom?
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous #1
so ive just sat an exam and the pass mark is 40% and i know i certainly did not get that (as in, there is not even a chance i got above 20%). not only does this mean i have failed the exam it also means i have to retake in august so ill have to pay for a hotel room and transportation to the exam venue (as i live too far away to travel there just for the exam). im feeling super depressed about it, does anyone have any words of wisdom?

Sounds obvious, but make sure you pass the resit :biggrin:
To help you do that, first of all forget about the fact that you failed it once, accept the current situation and start working on getting it done. Secondly, try to understand what exactly made you fail the first attempt and eliminate those reasons.
Then create a plan to prepare for the exam and stick to it. Start preparing now so that you have plenty of time to be ready to smash it in August. But make a realistic plan, something like study this subject 3 times a week for 2 hrs each session. Adjust the plan around your own schedule obviously and commit to it.

I wish you all the best,
Al
Reply 2

Is the exam the only assessment for this module? If there are other components (and the exam is not "must-pass"), is it possible that even though you've failed the exam you've done enough in the other components to get an overall pass mark?

If you do need to resit, bear in mind that the re-assessment won't necessarily be in the same form as the exam. This will depend on the regulations in force and may be at the discretion of the progress board.

It might be worth contacting your university's accommodation office to see if the university can provide you with a room in halls of residence for an overnight stay -- sometimes universities provide bed-and-breakfast accommodation to tourists over the summer (it's a way of them making money from rooms that would otherwise be empty). This is likely to be cheaper than a hotel. Private halls might also have similar arrangements. Also, if you have friends who are around over the summer, check to see if any of them will let you stay at their place.

In terms of travel, once you have the date of your exam, look at getting the train tickets (if you can travel by train) booked early using Advance tickets. If do don't already have a railcard, look to see if buying one would save you money overall. Also, check to see what the prices look like for coach travel if that's an option.

But for the time being, try not to worry. You can't change your performance in that exam. Put it to the back of your mind and concentrate on the exams you have left (if any).
Original post by Anonymous

I would speak with your personal tutor about it in the first instance. Depending on your course/uni regulations, you can sometimes be "condoned" in a failed module and allowed to progress to the next stage and still graduate with the degree despite failing the module, if you don't fail by more than a certain amount and it's not a core module.

This may not be the case (either in general or for this particular course or module at your uni) but worth finding out about that before making other plans!

Hey!
I feel it’s important to remember that setbacks don’t define your capabilities. This happens to everyone, and I would just advise you to reflect on what went wrong. Make sure you fix the issues, so that you can pass during the resit. You can also talk to your friends, family, professors, wellbeing team, PAT, etc. if needed. They might be great help in finding the problems and addressing the issues. Just treat this as a learning. All The Best!

Best Wishes
Priya :smile:
Postgraduate Ambassador
University of Southampton
(edited 3 months ago)

Anon,

I know that you feel that you have done badly in the exam, but I think it would be wise to wait until the results come back before panicking.

Feelings are subjective and sometimes you can think you have done really well in an exam and actually not done so good, and other times you can feel like you have done really badly and actually have done quite well, so unless you've left lots of questions unanswered or just guessed everything, I would wait to see how you've done.

If you have passed, then you'll only regret spending all this time stressing (so do take time to forget about it).
If you haven't passed, and you're short by a few marks then it may be easy to see where you can pick up those marks with a bit more revision. If it is really bad, then it would be wise to talk to your tutor/ lecturer on what is that you are struggling with, whether that's the format of the exam or the content.

Hope it all works out for you!

Oluwatosin 3rd year student University of Huddersfield

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending