The Student Room Group

Does the ranking of my undergraduate university matter for graduate scholarships?

Hi,

I am a Open University student and I want to pursue a master's at Oxford after I graduate. The OU is well respected but not prestigious.

I know that there are very competitive scholarships available that cover the full price of graduate studies, like Ertegun and Clarendon. I've seen people discuss how extra-curriculars can help in the application, but it seems that most people who get accepted studied at Oxford previously or at another high ranking university elsewhere in the world.

Would being an OU graduate hurt my chances? Will they take the prestige and ranking of the university into consideration when assessing my application?
I would say no. Obviously, we can only speculate, but it doesn't make sense for them to value the undergrad university reputation an awful lot. What matters A LOT more is what you made out of your undergrad studies, i.e. how well your referees know and support you, research internships, active interest by auditing external courses, breadth/depth of knowledge in a specific field, etc. People who get full price scholarships aren't people who just happened to go to a good university and get good grades, they're the folks who stand out by doing some (or all) of the things that I listed.

Now, it could be argued that some of these things are only available at prestiguous universities (e.g. more prestigious universities might have more plentiful research opportunities?), but I don't think it plays a big role. Your character and passion for academia is a much more important factor than what number is next to your university name on a ranked list.

Besides, you're in the university already. Unless the option of changing to a more prestigious university is on the table, it's not worth worrying about. Even if that option is there, it's a serious question whether or not it's worth it. Just focus on improving your academic remuse and I'm sure you'll be fine! :smile:
Original post by Anonymous #1
Hi,

I am a Open University student and I want to pursue a master's at Oxford after I graduate. The OU is well respected but not prestigious.

I know that there are very competitive scholarships available that cover the full price of graduate studies, like Ertegun and Clarendon. I've seen people discuss how extra-curriculars can help in the application, but it seems that most people who get accepted studied at Oxford previously or at another high ranking university elsewhere in the world.

Would being an OU graduate hurt my chances? Will they take the prestige and ranking of the university into consideration when assessing my application?

I know someone who recently obtained a first in law at the Open University whilst holding down a demanding job, and she went on to do a BCL at Oxford. She is now a practising barrister. She was awarded various scholarships. I would expect admissions tutors at many universities to take seriously an applicant who has shown the the self-discipline to complete an OU degree.

Good luck!
(edited 2 months ago)
In general how well you perform and your suitability for the next program is what they care about not your last institution name.

The open university is different, especially if you’ve never studied in a “brick & mortar” institution and want to move onto courses which are very demanding. I honestly have no idea about how universities will interpret it, but i would think open uni graduates have more unknowns relative to a conventional graduate (particularly around workload and the assessments used).

That said ive only worked as a researcher in academia but never on the teaching side of it, so simply don’t know.
(edited 2 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending