The Student Room Group

The most prestigious college at Oxford University?

Scroll to see replies

To be fair to the OP, all that he said was that a member of staff at St John's (whom the OP mistakenly believed to be the Tutor for Admissions, a post which is held by a Fellow of the college, not a member of the college staff) had been "upbeat".

I would expect that any member of the admissions team at an Oxbridge college who is called or emailed by a potential applicant would be friendly and informative; but of course the team member could not give any indication that a particular application to the college would be favourably considered. College staff wouldn't do this in respect of the current year's applications, let alone in respect of a notional application that might or might not be made several years from now. The OP may have read too much into what the person he contacted said or wrote to him.
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by Stiffy Byng
To be fair to the OP, all that he said was that a member of staff at St John's (whom the OP mistakenly believed to be the Tutor for Admissions, a post which is held by a Fellow of the college, not a member of the college staff) had been "upbeat".
I would expect that any member of the admissions team at an Oxbridge who is called or emailed by a potential applicant would be friendly and informative; but of course the team member could not give any indication that a particular application to the college would be favourably considered. College staff wouldn't do this in respect of the current year's applications, let alone in respect of a notional application that might or might not be made several years from now. The OP may have read too much into what the person he contacted said or wrote to him.
i couldn't seem to identify who would be the admissions tutor of st john's college, oxford on the college website.
wondering if there is an admissions tutor handling all admissions matters (like many colleges in Cambridge), or are fellows of each subject manage the admissions of their cohort respectively?
Original post by Anonymous #5
Right so if say I or anyone else here were to contact the college and namely Sarah Jones, undergraduate admissions officer for St John's College, and ask her if the college routinely agrees to applicants years in advance that they are "likely" to receive an offer the response would be that the college would confirm this?
No, you're totally wrong.

Offers are given out by admissions tutors on merit and the whole application is considered.

My reasons for applying to St. John's are that it spends a lot more on students with the library stocking most books and food and drink is at a very low cost as well as one of the lowest cost accommodation in the entire Oxford University. Also, it is highly academic and most students will be 'focused' to achieve 1sts and very high 2:1 degrees. :smile:

I will also be a part-qualified ICAEW Accountant by the time I apply as well. Because I want to pursue a career in Tax Law and Tax Accounting.

If things go to plan, I might even secure a scholarship from a firm of accountants too. :wink:

My UCAS Personal Statement won't be the stereotypical one with Human Rights Law issues at all. But focused on other aspects of Law.

Also, I will be preparing extremely well for the interviews.
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by thegeek888
No, you're totally wrong.
Offers are given out by admissions tutors on merit and the whole application is considered.
My reasons for applying to St. John's are that it spends a lot more on students with the library stocking most books and food and drink is at a very low cost as well as one of the lowest cost accommodation in the entire Oxford University. Also, it is highly academic and most students will be 'focused' to achieve 1sts and very high 2:1 degrees. :smile:
I will also be a part-qualified ICAEW Accountant by the time I apply as well. Because I want to pursue a career in Tax Law and Tax Accounting.
If things go to plan, I might even secure a scholarship from a firm of accountants too. :wink:
My UCAS Personal Statement won't be the stereotypical one with Human Rights Law issues at all. But focused on other aspects of Law.
Also, I will be preparing extremely well for the interviews.
I was simply referring to what you said earlier about how Sarah/ the college allegedly told you that you were likely to receive an offer. But we could just as well ask the college their stance on this. I’m sure they’d be interested to know that a prospective applicant is providing misleading information about their application.
I was simply referring to what you said earlier about how Sarah/ the college allegedly told you that you were likely to receive an offer. But we could just as well ask the college their stance on this. I’m sure they’d be interested to know that a prospective applicant is providing misleading information about their application.
I would only be shortlisted if I had a high LNAT score as well AAA or above A-Level grades!!! :biggrin: lol

So don't believe what you want to hear!!! Because I would only receive an offer if I performed well in the interviews, but more importantly the Law Faculty handles the UCAS applications. They are seeking applicants with the highest LNAT scores to shortlist for interview but there are some exceptions with 'stellar' UCAS Personal Statements.

The fact I've taught myself 3 languages is a significant achievement too. How many other applicants will have A-Levels in French, German and Spanish? Exactly!!!
(edited 1 month ago)
I would expect that any member of the admissions team at an Oxbridge who is called or emailed by a potential applicant would be friendly and informative; but of course the team member could not give any indication that a particular application to the college would be favourably considered. College staff wouldn't do this in respect of the current year's applications, let alone in respect of a notional application that might or might not be made several years from now. The OP may have read too much into what the person he contacted said or wrote to him.

Absolutely right!!! :ta:
(edited 1 month ago)
Wow...I will visit and eventually join, especially since it is a short train ride from me. :smile: lol
Reply 67
I would only be shortlisted if I had a high LNAT score as well AAA or above A-Level grades!!! :biggrin: lol
So don't believe what you want to hear!!! Because I would only receive an offer if I performed well in the interviews, but more importantly the Law Faculty handles the UCAS applications. They are seeking applicants with the highest LNAT scores to shortlist for interview but there are some exceptions with 'stellar' UCAS Personal Statements.
The fact I've taught myself 3 languages is a significant achievement too. How many other applicants will have A-Levels in French, German and Spanish? Exactly!!!
I read five languages well, and I was not a particular outlier in this regard during my time at Oxford. Many international students have three or four languages. Most Chinese students in my workplace (not Oxford but another excellent institution) speak 3 languages at 18, for example.

Nobody is trying to be weird or put you off, they are simply trying to be realistic. That's really all it is.
(edited 1 month ago)
LOL "Don't believe what you want to hear?" Firstly, what does that even mean? Secondly who the hell are you exactly (Omar)? You've not even yet done your A-Levels, you misrepresent the college by claiming you were told you were likely to receive an offer, and have responded to advice (that YOU sought) by being immature and obnoxious....despite claiming to be a mature student.

Frankly (although I can't speak for others), I could give two hoots whether or not you received an offer from Oxford, I've been there, done that, got the degree transcript to prove it and have had a successful and lucrative career from it. You're at the point of wanting to get to that position. As one poster pointed out, being admitted to Oxford Law is also about being "teachable", and your behaviour on these forums where you misrepresented a member of staff by name....let's just say the college and university may not take too seriously to that sort of thing. As you were told previously, current students, staff, tutors of Oxford colleges are known to frequent these forums and in an official capacity to offer advice. The last thing you'd want is to make a negative impression on the staff, faculty and current law students at the college ad university.

Self-confidence is one thing. Being an obnoxious moron is another. With all due respect, you have no grounds for which to be that, you neither have the grades, nor an offer, nor are a student or a graduate of the Law faculty at the University of Oxford.

As fro teh credentials you list (nothing special), there are candidates who also far exceed what you have. To shoot down your claims of there hardly being any Pakistani students at Oxford, there are a fair few and by the looks and sounds of it, far smart and more humble than you.
That should say I couldn't give two hoots. Can't seem to go back and edit.

To clarify: the Faculty conducts the initial assessment of applicants, rejects some at that stage, and then passes on the remaining applications to the colleges. The colleges make the decisions on those applications.

It may be worth reiterating that a high LNAT score does not guarantee an offer. The system aims to select the most promising applicants, considering all relevant information. It's not a mechanistic or box ticking exercise.

The colleges consider whether a candidate is likely to do well in a teaching environment which has the tutorial as its key feature. Oxford teaches by relationship. A good tutor-pupil relationship provides a great learning experience. Students who get a lot out of Oxford quite often remain in touch with their tutors long after graduating.

On the subject of libraries, every college has a good library, and the Bodleian Library (the library of the university) is one of the biggest libraries in the world.

When studying any area of law, it is essential to read the cases and statutes most relevant to that area. Reading textbooks can only take you so far. The law develops at such a pace that major student and practitioner books are often updated every few years.

The Oxford undergraduate law course teaches the core legal subjects in depth. Extensive and attentive reading, and discussion of what you have read, are at the heart of the course. It is wise to assume that those who teach at highly rated universities will know more about their subjects than you do, and to listen to what those teachers say.
(edited 1 month ago)
That should say I couldn't give two hoots. Can't seem to go back and edit.

You can edit a post by clicking on the three dots that should appear at the lower right of the post.
To clarify: the Faculty conducts the initial assessment of applicants, rejects some at that stage, and then passes on the remaining applications to the colleges. The colleges make the decisions on those applications.
It may be worth reiterating that a high LNAT score does not guarantee an offer. The system aims to select the most promising applicants, considering all relevant information. It's not a mechanistic or box ticking exercise.
The colleges consider whether a candidate is likely to do well in a teaching environment which has the tutorial as its key feature. Oxford teaches by relationship. A good tutor-pupil relationship provides a great learning experience. Students who get a lot out of Oxford quite often remain in touch with their tutors long after graduating.
On the subject of libraries, every college has a good library, and the Bodleian Library (the library of the university) is one of the biggest libraries in the world.
When studying any area of law, it is essential to read the cases and statutes most relevant to that area. Reading textbooks can only take you so far. The law develops at such a pace that major student and practitioner books are often updated every few years.
The Oxford undergraduate law course teaches the core legal subjects in depth. Extensive and attentive reading, and discussion of what you have read, are at the heart of the course. It is wise to assume that those who teach at highly rated universities will know more about their subjects than you do, and to listen to what those teachers say.
1. Thanks for enlightening me on the Law Faculty. They have to reject well over 1000 applicants for Law, and that must not be easy.

2. Although a high LNAT score does not guarantee an offer at Oxford. However, for KCL in recent years, it was 30 or above in the LNAT that received an offer. It is similar to other LNAT universities, which don’t interview candidates. All they have are the grades and UCAS Personal Statement to judge applicants on.

3. It is true, the whole UCAS application must be considered before rejecting or shortlisting an applicant. That’s why, some applicants to Oxford get accepted with very low LNAT scores.

4. Yes, I am aware now after reading interview books and browsing forums online that the Oxford interview is almost like a tutorial. I know they want to see “how you think?” so I am preparing for the interviews well with practice from tutors.

5. St. John’s College, Oxford University, gives £400 book grant to each student each term, i.e. £1,200 per year. So, you don’t have to buy any textbooks or books for your course, as they are arguably the best-stocked libraries in the entire constituent colleges of Oxford University. Also, St. John's College, Oxford University has the lowest cost food, drinks and accommodation as well.

6. Yes, I am aware that the Law interviews at Oxford will involve cases and statutes, so I am making plans to consider your advice. I will also be reading, Constitutional Law, Tort Law and Criminal Law eBooks, as they usually ask questions on the first-year papers of the Law degree?!

7. My UCAS choices are predominately based here in London: LSE, UCL, KCL and SOAS. So, I won’t be too concerned if I don’t get an offer from Oxford. Because I can always study for a Master's at Oxford once I achieve a first class at a London university. lol :smile:
1. Thanks for enlightening me on the Law Faculty. They have to reject well over 1000 applicants for Law, and that must not be easy.
2. Although a high LNAT score does not guarantee an offer at Oxford. However, for KCL in recent years, it was 30 or above in the LNAT that received an offer. It is similar to other LNAT universities, which don’t interview candidates. All they have are the grades and UCAS Personal Statement to judge applicants on.
3. It is true, the whole UCAS application must be considered before rejecting or shortlisting an applicant. That’s why, some applicants to Oxford get accepted with very low LNAT scores.
4. Yes, I am aware now after reading interview books and browsing forums online that the Oxford interview is almost like a tutorial. I know they want to see “how you think?” so I am preparing for the interviews well with practice from tutors.
5. St. John’s College, Oxford University, gives £400 book grant to each student each term, i.e. £1,200 per year. So, you don’t have to buy any textbooks or books for your course, as they are arguably the best-stocked libraries in the entire constituent colleges of Oxford University. Also, St. John's College, Oxford University has the lowest cost food, drinks and accommodation as well.
6. Yes, I am aware that the Law interviews at Oxford will involve cases and statutes, so I am making plans to consider your advice. I will also be reading, Constitutional Law, Tort Law and Criminal Law eBooks, as they usually ask questions on the first-year papers of the Law degree?!
7. My UCAS choices are predominately based here in London: LSE, UCL, KCL and SOAS. So, I won’t be too concerned if I don’t get an offer from Oxford. Because I can always study for a Master's at Oxford once I achieve a first class at a London university. lol :smile:

You're again repeating what you've previously mentioned. There is never a guarantee of getting into any university, especially london or oxbridge.

I am not sure that you need to keep on repeating that St John's has a well stocked library and cheap accommodation and food. Also, a small point on nomenclature: an Oxford college is usually referred to as [Name] College, Oxford, or, when the context makes it clear that the subject is an Oxford college, simply as [name]. That's the convention.

Reading statutes and case law is not merely something for the interviews. To become a lawyer, and to practise as a lawyer, particular at the Bar, requires a large amount of reading of statutes, regulations, and cases, and constant updating of your knowledge base.

Not the first time, I suggest that you seek to improve your writing before applying to university. Your use of commas is unorthodox. As you will find if you study law, a comma can be a significant thing. Precision in the use of language is important for lawyers.

Last year you indicated that you planned to apply to Cambridge, and you made various comments criticising the law course at Oxford, suggesting that Oxford's admissions standards are too low, and appearing to suggest that you knew better than experienced academics how to organise a law degree. It appears that you may have changed your mind about the law course at Oxford.
I am not sure that you need to keep on repeating that St John's has a well stocked library and cheap accommodation and food. Also, a small point on nomenclature: an Oxford college is usually referred to as [Name] College, Oxford, or, when the context makes it clear that the subject is an Oxford college, simply as [name]. That's the convention.
Reading statutes and case law is not merely something for the interviews. To become a lawyer, and to practice as a lawyer, particular at the Bar, requires a large amount of reading of statutes, regulations, and cases, and constant updating of your knowledge base.
Not the first time, I suggest that you seek to improve your writing before applying to university. Your use of commas is unorthodox. As you will find if you study law, a comma can be a significant thing. Precision in the use of language is important for lawyers.
Last year you indicated that you planned to apply to Cambridge, and you made various comments criticising the law course at Oxford, suggesting that Oxford's admissions standards are too low, and appearing to suggest that you knew better than experienced academics how to organise a law degree. It appears that you may have changed your mind about the law course at Oxford.
Thanks for correcting me, now I know it is, Wadham College, Oxford that you attended Sir. Lol I wonder did you enjoy the food at Wadham College during your undergraduate years?

Do you recommend reading “The Supreme Court” cases? They are a diverse range of cases with judgements surely?

Decided cases - The Supreme Court

With my local library card, I get free online newspapers and magazines on the “Press Reader app”, so I read The Guardian, Daily Telegraph, Wall Street Journal, The Economist, New York Times and Washington Post often. This helps to expand my vocabulary and gain knowledge as well on current affairs, which will be assessed in the LNAT test?! I am not writing to my best nor precision on TSR, as I respond to so many other posts as well. Haha So don’t worry, I will be good to go for the LNAT test when the time comes.

I find that reading online papers published by Oxford is helpful too: https://www.law.ox.ac.uk/research-subject-groups/centre-competition-law-and-policy/online-materials-and-papers

I am still convinced that:

Roman Law, Criminal Law, Constitutional Law and Tort Law papers can ALL be offered in Year 1.

Contract Law, Trusts Law, Land Law, Administrative Law and Jurisprudence can be offered in Year 2.

Year 3 would only require European Union Law and a huge range of choices for the 4 optional papers instead of currently just 2 optional papers.

Oxford has the better optional papers for a Law degree. Hopefully, the Law faculty will listen to the email report when I send it later this year and the colleges too.

More importantly, I have developed a strong interest in eCommerce, since reading this Amazon book: Amazon: How the World's Most Relentless Retailer Will Continue to Revolutionize Commerce (Audio Download): Natalie Berg, Miya Knights, Kelly Burke, Kogan Page: Amazon.co.uk: Books

I will be starting an eCommerce company upon graduation, as I could make so much more and then practice later.
(edited 1 month ago)
Just to let you know the food at St John’s tends to be a bit crap. But you needn’t worry you’ll probably end up at SOAS with all the other weirdos.
Thanks for correcting me, now I know it is, Wadham College, Oxford that you attended Sir. Lol I wonder did you enjoy the food at Wadham College during your undergraduate years?
Do you recommend reading “The Supreme Court” cases? They are a diverse range of cases with judgements surely?
Decided cases - The Supreme Court
With my local library card, I get free online newspapers and magazines on the “Press Reader app”, so I read The Guardian, Daily Telegraph, Wall Street Journal, The Economist, New York Times and Washington Post often. This helps to expand my vocabulary and gain knowledge as well on current affairs, which will be assessed in the LNAT test?! I am not writing to my best nor precision on TSR, as I respond to so many other posts as well. Haha So don’t worry, I will be good to go for the LNAT test when the time comes.
I find that reading online papers published by Oxford is helpful too: https://www.law.ox.ac.uk/research-subject-groups/centre-competition-law-and-policy/online-materials-and-papers
I am still convinced that:
Roman Law, Criminal Law, Constitutional Law and Tort Law papers can ALL be offered in Year 1.
Contract Law, Trusts Law, Land Law, Administrative Law and Jurisprudence can be offered in Year 2.
Year 3 would only require European Union Law and a huge range of choices for the 4 optional papers instead of currently just 2 optional papers.
Oxford has the better optional papers for a Law degree. Hopefully, the Law faculty will listen to the email report when I send it later this year and the colleges too.
More importantly, I have developed a strong interest in eCommerce, since reading this Amazon book: Amazon: How the World's Most Relentless Retailer Will Continue to Revolutionize Commerce (Audio Download): Natalie Berg, Miya Knights, Kelly Burke, Kogan Page: Amazon.co.uk: Books
I will be starting an eCommerce company upon graduation, as I could make so much more and then practice later.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that the user Stiffy Byng has mentioned that they are female? Even if they aren't, don't assume anyone's gender please.
Original post by Anonymous #4
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that the user Stiffy Byng has mentioned that they are female? Even if they aren't, don't assume anyone's gender please.
He is a male. He told me months ago. lol :smile:
Just to let you know the food at St John’s tends to be a bit crap. But you needn’t worry you’ll probably end up at SOAS with all the other weirdos.
The food looks great here:

Also, there is a Sainsbury's and Tesco not far from St. John's College, Oxford, so I can cook my own food too if I wished.

But my main reason for choosing St. John's College, Oxford is that they have £400 grants every term for books and technology as well as having 200 study places in their new library study centre. Furthermore, the accommodation is one of the lowest cost in the entire Oxford University. :wink:

Yes, SOAS is one of my 5 choices but it is the easiest offer to meet, since they're in UCAS Clearing every year for so many courses. :smile: lol However, I would not donate when I am multi multimillionaire businessman to Oxford, LSE, UCL, KCL if I was only offered a place at SOAS. :smile:
(edited 1 month ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending