The Student Room Group

The most prestigious college at Oxford University?

Scroll to see replies

I would worry more about getting the grades tbh and how your posts are being perceived by those outside the forum.
Original post by Anonymous #5
I would worry more about getting the grades tbh and how your posts are being perceived by those outside the forum.
It is the holiest month of Ramadan tomorrow, so I won't be online much until mid April after Eid Al Fitr celebrations!!! :smile:

It is when the archangel Gabriel ie Jibril revealed the Holy Quran to the Prophet Muhammad over 23 years.

Also, I will be making efforts to seek forgiveness (especially if I have offended others in this forum) during the Tahajjud prayers i.e. "The Last Third of the Night Prayer." It is when God Allah descends on Earth and answers prayers without a doubt but most people are sleeping.
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by thegeek888
He is a male. He told me months ago. lol :smile:
I did not tell you that. I have not been here for long.
Thanks for correcting me, now I know it is, Wadham College, Oxford that you attended Sir. Lol I wonder did you enjoy the food at Wadham College during your undergraduate years?
Do you recommend reading “The Supreme Court” cases? They are a diverse range of cases with judgements surely?
Decided cases - The Supreme Court
With my local library card, I get free online newspapers and magazines on the “Press Reader app”, so I read The Guardian, Daily Telegraph, Wall Street Journal, The Economist, New York Times and Washington Post often. This helps to expand my vocabulary and gain knowledge as well on current affairs, which will be assessed in the LNAT test?! I am not writing to my best nor precision on TSR, as I respond to so many other posts as well. Haha So don’t worry, I will be good to go for the LNAT test when the time comes.
I find that reading online papers published by Oxford is helpful too: https://www.law.ox.ac.uk/research-subject-groups/centre-competition-law-and-policy/online-materials-and-papers
I am still convinced that:
Roman Law, Criminal Law, Constitutional Law and Tort Law papers can ALL be offered in Year 1.
Contract Law, Trusts Law, Land Law, Administrative Law and Jurisprudence can be offered in Year 2.
Year 3 would only require European Union Law and a huge range of choices for the 4 optional papers instead of currently just 2 optional papers.
Oxford has the better optional papers for a Law degree. Hopefully, the Law faculty will listen to the email report when I send it later this year and the colleges too.
More importantly, I have developed a strong interest in eCommerce, since reading this Amazon book: Amazon: How the World's Most Relentless Retailer Will Continue to Revolutionize Commerce (Audio Download): Natalie Berg, Miya Knights, Kelly Burke, Kogan Page: Amazon.co.uk: Books
I will be starting an eCommerce company upon graduation, as I could make so much more and then practice later.

What I thought of the food at college years ago is irrelevant.

Oxford will not pay much or any attention to an "email report" from you urging it to change its undergraduate law course.

Law students read decisions of courts of several levels. Directed reading may be preferable to reading cases at random. The Supreme Court (no inverted commas required) is the apex Court of the UK. Applicants for law degrees ought to have some familiarity with the court system.

Stiffy Byng is the name of a fictional character in PG Wodehouse. Stiffy is short for Stephanie.
(edited 1 month ago)
It is the holiest month of Ramadan tomorrow, so I won't be online much until mid April after Eid Al Fitr celebrations!!! :smile:
It is when the archangel Gabriel ie Jibril revealed the Holy Quran to the Prophet Muhammad over 23 years.
Also, I will be making efforts to seek forgiveness (especially if I have offended others in this forum) during the Tahajjud prayers i.e. "The Last Third of the Night Prayer." It is when God Allah descends on Earth and answers prayers without a doubt but most people are sleeping.
Funnily enough I am aware (as might many others be) of the significance and origins of the month of Ramadan.

Offence isn't quite the word here. You made some bizarre remarks about how a named member of staff allegedly assured you that your chances of receiving an offer from St John's College, Oxford, for Law were "likely" given that others have confirmed the process is not down to the college alone and crucially, that you haven't even sat your school-leaving examinations yet nevermind not even having submitted a complete application yet!

As others have said, being confident is one thing but being downright obnoxious is another. In your posts you come across as extremely arrogant, obnoxious, and ignorant of advice and information which ironically, you requested here from others. This really isn't a good look on you. It might go down well in promoting a boxing or MMA fight but not with Oxford admissions. You then went as far as sharing a personal photograph of yourself, named your college and named members of staff and misrepresented them. This is actually a serious issue.

You might not think it but behaviour like this can and will portray you negatively and as one user said, admissions isn't just about the grades but about how "teachable" you are. Being teachable means being able to engage with tutors and peers on both an academic, professional and personal level, as well as upholding high standards of behaviour and integrity. Now of course, not every Oxford student has adhered to that but nevertheless you are wanting to pursue a degree that leads to career where individuals are held to the highest standards of professionalism and integrity. Tutors will be assessing this aspect when interviewing you and indeed, reflecting on these posts.

As you said by your previous posts, you're a mature-student in your 30s. I have no reason to doubt your honesty there but forgive me if I say that I would expect someone in that age-bracket to act with a degree more maturity than you have thus far demonstrated in your posts.

Indeed if you are as motivated for a career in Law and studying at Oxford as your appear to be from these posts, you will reflect well on the advice you have been offered here by myself and my colleagues and put that into practice be it in studying hard to obtian the grades, craft a strong application and adopt the practices and behaviours one would expect from a would-be Oxford Law Student and aspiring lawyer.

Your age isn't a barrier and shouldn't be and if you are being honest about that, I commend you for making the decision to embark on both a rigorous programme of study and career-path at this stage of your life (what you did prior is really of no concern or relevance here).

That being said I must again say to you what others have also pointed out that your behaviour is really not reflecting well on you and TSR isn't some niche out-of-the-way forum. Staff, students, alumni and even academics do frequent these forums even in an official capacity to offer advice and guidance and I know for a fact in years gone by comments made in places such as these, especially comments that make spurious allegations about the admissions process or about the advice given by members of staff, or attempting to mock the university and the colleges by remarking that you are somehow worthy of an offer because of your "handsome looks"..... surely you are not that naive to think this won't go down well.

You are not the first and won't be the last to apply to Oxford thinking they are God's gift and somehow more deserving than other candidates. The one thing I learnt from my time at Oxford was that your ego really won't get you as far as stereotypes might think. It's the relationships you form with peers and mentors, how you contirbute to the academic and if you wish, the social life at the college, that defines your time at Oxford. That often involves a bit of give and take: making your own contributions whilst taking on board advice and feedback, reflecting on your own strengths and weaknesses and acquiring a solid knowledge-base in preparing you for the career you wish to pursue upon graduation.

As I said before, you haven't got anywhere yet. No grades, no offers, no place confirmed etc. Might be time to shut up, knuckle down and work hard, rather than trying to be a pompous oaf.

Happy Ramadan and good luck with your studies.
The food looks great here:

Also, there is a Sainsbury's and Tesco not far from St. John's College, Oxford, so I can cook my own food too if I wished.
But my main reason for choosing St. John's College, Oxford is that they have £400 grants every term for books and technology as well as having 200 study places in their new library study centre. Furthermore, the accommodation is one of the lowest cost in the entire Oxford University. :wink:
Yes, SOAS is one of my 5 choices but it is the easiest offer to meet, since they're in UCAS Clearing every year for so many courses. :smile: lol However, I would not donate when I am multi multimillionaire businessman to Oxford, LSE, UCL, KCL if I was only offered a place at SOAS. :smile:

You cannot tell whether food is great by looking at a menu on a website. Please stop trying to be right about everything. You won't get into Oxford or do well at Oxford with that attitude. The only person at Oxford who was allowed to be right about everything was Benjamin Jowett, and he died in 1893.

At present, you have no direct experience of university admissions or of university life. Hopefully, one day you will make it to a good university. Nothing in life is certain. I know some very talented people who, for one reason and another, did not achieve their educational ambitions.

People here are trying to give you the benefit of their knowledge and their experience. For example, the person who commented on the food at St John's may well have been doing so on the basis of having eaten at St John's recently. Food at Oxford colleges can be mediocre - mass catering usually produces mediocre results. Even the food on the High Tables can be nothing special (the pleasures of dining on High Table are the conversation, and the usually excellent wine, although the latter has no relevance to those who do not drink wine, for religious or other reasons). I suggest that nobody should choose a university or a college based on ideas about the food.

I echo others in suggesting, politely, that you moderate your apparent know-it-all-attitude, manage your expectations, and focus on working hard so that you can obtain a place at a good university. It is good to aim high and to dream big dreams, but your aims have to be realistic and you can't just wish yourself to success.

I wish you a peaceful Ramadan and success in your endeavours.
(edited 1 month ago)
Are you sharing your TSR account with your barrister wife too? :s-smilie:
Misinformation is one thing, being deliberately mis gendering and continuing to do so is considered harassment and not a good luck. Don’t underestimate the ability to be identified and this reflecting on you if and when you get around to applying. Omar.
Original post by Stiffy Byng
You cannot tell whether food is great by looking at a menu on a website. Please stop trying to be right about everything. You won't get into Oxford or do well at Oxford with that attitude. The only person at Oxford who was allowed to be right about everything was Benjamin Jowett, and he died in 1893.
At present, you have no direct experience of university admissions or of university life. Hopefully, one day you will make it to a good university. Nothing in life is certain. I know some very talented people who, for one reason and another, did not achieve their educational ambitions.
People here are trying to give you the benefit of their knowledge and their experience. For example, the person who commented on the food at St John's may well have been doing so on the basis of having eaten at St John's recently. Food at Oxford colleges can be mediocre - mass catering usually produces mediocre results. Even the food on the High Tables can be nothing special (the pleasures of dining on High Table are the conversation, and the usually excellent wine, although the latter has no relevance to those who do not drink wine, for religious or other reasons). I suggest that nobody should choose a university or a college based on ideas about the food.
I echo others in suggesting, politely, that you moderate your apparent know-it-all-attitude, manage your expectations, and focus on working hard so that you can obtain a place at a good university. It is good to aim high and to dream big dreams, but your aims have to be realistic and you can't just wish yourself to success.
I wish you a peaceful Ramadan and success in your endeavours.
I have been reflecting on my conversations with you and saw a dream where I met you in Oxford!!! :smile: lol I saw a blonde chap about 60 but no wrinkles and around 5ft 10 and blonde. Perhaps it might be at a Wadham Open Day or perhaps I might get accepted by St. Hilda's and have a tutorial at Wadham?! :s-smilie:

I have been reciting the Holy Quran and praying in prostration a lot as that's when one is closest to God Allah almighty. As well as praying Tahajjud prayer before the suhoor meal and it makes me reflect deeply and I know all that matters now is reading widely about the subject of a Law degree i.e. Criminal Law, Constitutional Law and Tort Law. As well as focusing on achieving A stars in Maths, Further Maths, German and Spanish and perhaps French if my Independent Research Project and Speaking exam goes well. But I am organising myself well for A-Level Maths in June 2025 and the rest of the exams in June 2026. I will have been through almost every paper one can see from January 2001 to June 2024 for all boards (since the topics have not really changed much). Inshallah I can be accepted to one of Oxford, LSE, UCL, KCL or SOAS and qualify as a Barrister as well as take my ACA (ICAEW) and CTA (CIOT) exams. They are not difficult and now the accounting firms do them in Year 1 of training and one is literally fully qualified in 9 months or 18 months if pursuing the CTA Tax exams.

I know I wish to become a CEO one day, as I have a document on the different types of businesses I want to start in USA, EU, UK, China, Australia and The Middle East. However, I would be working as a Barrister in Tax at some point too.
Not a good look*
Funnily enough I am aware (as might many others be) of the significance and origins of the month of Ramadan.
Offence isn't quite the word here. You made some bizarre remarks about how a named member of staff allegedly assured you that your chances of receiving an offer from St John's College, Oxford, for Law were "likely" given that others have confirmed the process is not down to the college alone and crucially, that you haven't even sat your school-leaving examinations yet nevermind not even having submitted a complete application yet!
As others have said, being confident is one thing but being downright obnoxious is another. In your posts you come across as extremely arrogant, obnoxious, and ignorant of advice and information which ironically, you requested here from others. This really isn't a good look on you. It might go down well in promoting a boxing or MMA fight but not with Oxford admissions. You then went as far as sharing a personal photograph of yourself, named your college and named members of staff and misrepresented them. This is actually a serious issue.
You might not think it but behaviour like this can and will portray you negatively and as one user said, admissions isn't just about the grades but about how "teachable" you are. Being teachable means being able to engage with tutors and peers on both an academic, professional and personal level, as well as upholding high standards of behaviour and integrity. Now of course, not every Oxford student has adhered to that but nevertheless you are wanting to pursue a degree that leads to career where individuals are held to the highest standards of professionalism and integrity. Tutors will be assessing this aspect when interviewing you and indeed, reflecting on these posts.
As you said by your previous posts, you're a mature-student in your 30s. I have no reason to doubt your honesty there but forgive me if I say that I would expect someone in that age-bracket to act with a degree more maturity than you have thus far demonstrated in your posts.
Indeed if you are as motivated for a career in Law and studying at Oxford as your appear to be from these posts, you will reflect well on the advice you have been offered here by myself and my colleagues and put that into practice be it in studying hard to obtian the grades, craft a strong application and adopt the practices and behaviours one would expect from a would-be Oxford Law Student and aspiring lawyer.
Your age isn't a barrier and shouldn't be and if you are being honest about that, I commend you for making the decision to embark on both a rigorous programme of study and career-path at this stage of your life (what you did prior is really of no concern or relevance here).
That being said I must again say to you what others have also pointed out that your behaviour is really not reflecting well on you and TSR isn't some niche out-of-the-way forum. Staff, students, alumni and even academics do frequent these forums even in an official capacity to offer advice and guidance and I know for a fact in years gone by comments made in places such as these, especially comments that make spurious allegations about the admissions process or about the advice given by members of staff, or attempting to mock the university and the colleges by remarking that you are somehow worthy of an offer because of your "handsome looks"..... surely you are not that naive to think this won't go down well.
You are not the first and won't be the last to apply to Oxford thinking they are God's gift and somehow more deserving than other candidates. The one thing I learnt from my time at Oxford was that your ego really won't get you as far as stereotypes might think. It's the relationships you form with peers and mentors, how you contirbute to the academic and if you wish, the social life at the college, that defines your time at Oxford. That often involves a bit of give and take: making your own contributions whilst taking on board advice and feedback, reflecting on your own strengths and weaknesses and acquiring a solid knowledge-base in preparing you for the career you wish to pursue upon graduation.
As I said before, you haven't got anywhere yet. No grades, no offers, no place confirmed etc. Might be time to shut up, knuckle down and work hard, rather than trying to be a pompous oaf.
Happy Ramadan and good luck with your studies.
I also recommend you pray on the 27th night of Ramadan, as the archangel Gabriel i.e Jibril descends with endless numbers of angels to decree the events of the year ahead and only dua prayer can change divine decree. :smile:

I am very likely to become a Chartered Accountant i.e. Institute of Chartered Accountants of England & Wales (ICAEW) and also gain the fast track route to joint qualification as a Chartered Tax Adviser with the Chartered Insitute of Taxation after completing a Law degree. I have seen there is a massive demand for Tax professionals in Law and Tax Accounting. But I am yet to shadow barristers, solicitors and accountants. My interests in global business i.e. China is making me eager to become a CEO as well as a pursue an MBA one day.
(edited 1 month ago)
I also recommend you pray on the 27th night of Ramadan, as the archangel Gabriel i.e Jibril descends with endless numbers of angels to decree the events of the year ahead and only dua prayer can change divine decree. :smile:
I am very likely to become a Chartered Accountant i.e. Institute of Chartered Accountants of England & Wales (ICAEW) and also gain the fast track route to joint qualification as a Chartered Tax Adviser with the Chartered Insitute of Taxation after completing a Law degree. I have seen there is a massive demand for Tax professionals in Law and Tax Accounting. But I am yet to shadow barristers, solicitors and accountants. My interests in global business i.e. China is making me eager to become a CEO as well as a pursue an MBA one day.
You know I or others could forward all your posts to your prospective universities and college I’m sure they’ll be keen to learn of your behaviour.
Misinformation is one thing, being deliberately mis gendering and continuing to do so is considered harassment and not a good luck. Don’t underestimate the ability to be identified and this reflecting on you if and when you get around to applying. Omar.
It's a simple question, whether you're a man or woman? But you mentioned Stiffy is short for Stephanie from a novel? :s-smilie:
You know I or others could forward all your posts to your prospective universities and college I’m sure they’ll be keen to learn of your behaviour.
Online behaviour is just banter and not to be taken too seriously.
It’s not banter when you consistently insult people and then make harassing comments. Furthermore coming from a man in his 30s and you been willing to share your personal name and details about where you study….. let’s see what the universities say.

People have had offers and applications withdrawn for minor infractions compared to this.
It’s not banter when you consistently insult people and then make harassing comments. Furthermore coming from a man in his 30s and you been willing to share your personal name and details about where you study….. let’s see what the universities say.
People have had offers and applications withdrawn for minor infractions compared to this.
There is no malice in my comments. Furthermore, I don't require a degree but I know to become a CEO or Barrister, a degree is required. I am certain to qualify as an ACA-CTA and become a Chartered Accountant and Chartered Tax Adviser (as well as becoming part qualified by the time of UCAS applications).
There is no malice in my comments. Furthermore, I don't require a degree but I know to become a CEO or Barrister, a degree is required. I am certain to qualify as an ACA-CTA and become a Chartered Accountant and Chartered Tax Adviser (as well as becoming part qualified by the time of UCAS applications).
We can let the college, department and university decide.
I don't care what people call me. I observe that a woman can have a wife.

I am not a blonde chap. I am not five feet ten inches high. I say nothing about my wrinkles or lack thereof. I think that believing in angels is something for children. Not every dream comes true.
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by Stiffy Byng
I don't care what people call me. I observe that a woman can have a wife.
I am not a blonde chap. I am not five feet ten inches high. I say nothing about my wrinkles or lack thereof. I think that believing in angels is something for children. Not every dream comes true.
Thank you for finally telling me. I am happy now. It is your happiness that matters the most!!! :smile:
@Stiffy Byng what are your thoughts on this eBook?

Human Rights in Criminal Law: : Criminal Practice Series Ben Douglas-Jones KC Bloomsbury Professional

Description
The law of human rights permeates every area of law. This title focuses on the impact of human rights law at every stage of the criminal process. It addresses the principal human rights issues that apply during an investigation and prior to a suspect knowing that they are a suspect, powers of arrest and search, and treatment at the police station. It considers every stage of the criminal process, including appeal before the domestic courts and the European Court of Human Rights. Part 1 covers the fundamental principles of the European Convention on Human Rights and the Human Rights Act 1998 and their application in domestic law, particularly in relation to criminal appeals, as well as taking a case to the European Court of Human Rights. Parts 2 to 4 address the three broad phases of a criminal case investigation, pre-trial and trial providing an analysis of human rights law as it applies in each phase. This book offers a comprehensive analysis of the often complex interactions between criminal law and human rights; with a wide range of experienced contributors drawn from the legal profession and academia, under the general editorship of Ben Douglas-Jones KC, Daniel Bunting, Paul Mason and Benjamin Newton.
@Stiffy Byng what are your thoughts on this eBook?
Human Rights in Criminal Law: : Criminal Practice Series Ben Douglas-Jones KC Bloomsbury Professional
Description
The law of human rights permeates every area of law. This title focuses on the impact of human rights law at every stage of the criminal process. It addresses the principal human rights issues that apply during an investigation and prior to a suspect knowing that they are a suspect, powers of arrest and search, and treatment at the police station. It considers every stage of the criminal process, including appeal before the domestic courts and the European Court of Human Rights. Part 1 covers the fundamental principles of the European Convention on Human Rights and the Human Rights Act 1998 and their application in domestic law, particularly in relation to criminal appeals, as well as taking a case to the European Court of Human Rights. Parts 2 to 4 address the three broad phases of a criminal case investigation, pre-trial and trial providing an analysis of human rights law as it applies in each phase. This book offers a comprehensive analysis of the often complex interactions between criminal law and human rights; with a wide range of experienced contributors drawn from the legal profession and academia, under the general editorship of Ben Douglas-Jones KC, Daniel Bunting, Paul Mason and Benjamin Newton.
Might be time to quit while you’re ahead.

You can’t on the one hand insult someone then grovel to them for advice like nothing happened.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending