The Student Room Group

Computer Science at Liverpool or LJMU University

Hi - anybody currently doing computer science at Liverpool university or Liverpool John Moores? Would be so helpful if you could tell me following?

1. How many contact hours are there in a given week when studying computer science roughly?
2. How is the course assessed? Looking at similar courses at edge hill most (practically all) modules are course work/practical - what is the balance at Liverpool University for Computer Science courses?
3. Is the department friendly/supportive? I have ASD and a fair about of anxiety about new places/people! Any information REALLY appreciated
Thank you!!!
Hi,

It's great to hear you are considering LJMU to study Computer Science! Here is the course page https://www.ljmu.ac.uk/study/courses/undergraduates/2024/35579-computer-science-bsc-hons-sw , and I will answer your questions below 🙂

So the number of contact hours would depend on the modules you pick, but roughly you can expect around 12 hours a week. There's a great choice of optional modules as well as core modules, so you can pick what aspect of computer science interests you the most! Module details are on the above link, under the details tab.

Again, assessments would depend on the modules. There is an assessment section underneath the module descriptions on the course page, but some modules are coursework-based, some are exams and some are a mix of the two.

It's a very friendly department! You can get in touch with the staff easily. In general, whatever course you are studying, we outperform the sector average for mental health and support services. We have a dedicated disability advice team who are there for you before you start, and throughout your degree who make sure that you are able to learn in an environment tailored to you and achieve everything you want to during your degree! Every school has a Disability Coordinator who is there to help ensure that any provisions and support you need during your degree are there for you throughout. Contact details are here if you need them - tel: 0151 231 3164/3165, email: [email protected]

Hope this helps! Let us know if you have any more questions :smile:

Ellen
Liverpool John Moores University
Reply 2
Original post by Uittermark
Hi - anybody currently doing computer science at Liverpool university or Liverpool John Moores? Would be so helpful if you could tell me following?

1. How many contact hours are there in a given week when studying computer science roughly?
2. How is the course assessed? Looking at similar courses at edge hill most (practically all) modules are course work/practical - what is the balance at Liverpool University for Computer Science courses?
3. Is the department friendly/supportive? I have ASD and a fair about of anxiety about new places/people! Any information REALLY appreciated
Thank you!!!

These are easy questions to ask of each institution. Why not pop along to an open day and get the answer to these questions first hand?
You're right, it's always worthwhile visiting the universities you're interested in, if you can, to really get a feel for the place and see the facilities first hand! We have campus tours coming up - it would be great to have you visit us 🙂 https://www.ljmu.ac.uk/study/undergraduate-students/visit-us

Ellen
Liverpool John Moores University

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending