The Student Room Group

Personal statement for two different courses ?

I've been looking at cardiff's medical pharmacology course and it looks great, but theres not a lot of info about it. :eek: it seems there are 13 places?! and roughly 10x as many people applying, so the odds of getting in are slim :frown:.

Im not sure what to do now :confused: , would i be able to apply for this and biomedical science? or are they too different to write one personal statement for. Would it be worth me emailing them ?
Reply 1
anyone ? :confused:
Reply 2
Well, I'm not sure about the science-y side of things, but when I did my personal statement, I had to cater it to five completely different courses! :tongue: As long as you show that you're passionate about everything you're applying for, it won't be to your disadvantage. Admissions tutors do realise that a lot of people don't apply for the same subject everywhere, you're allowed a broad spectrum of interests.
Reply 3
Original post by olalala
I've been looking at cardiff's medical pharmacology course and it looks great, but theres not a lot of info about it. :eek: it seems there are 13 places?! and roughly 10x as many people applying, so the odds of getting in are slim :frown:.

Im not sure what to do now :confused: , would i be able to apply for this and biomedical science? or are they too different to write one personal statement for. Would it be worth me emailing them ?

When applying for two different courses, you must use the same personal statement unfortunately. HOWEVER, you can contact the admin office of one course and ask to write another. I did this, but it turned out I did not need to write any extra. :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Hazular
Well, I'm not sure about the science-y side of things, but when I did my personal statement, I had to cater it to five completely different courses! :tongue: As long as you show that you're passionate about everything you're applying for, it won't be to your disadvantage. Admissions tutors do realise that a lot of people don't apply for the same subject everywhere, you're allowed a broad spectrum of interests.

Original post by lizolove
When applying for two different courses, you must use the same personal statement unfortunately. HOWEVER, you can contact the admin office of one course and ask to write another. I did this, but it turned out I did not need to write any extra. :smile:

thank you both for the reply, feel much more reassured about it than i did earlier, just hope im not trying to stretch one personal statement too far, think i will email them
i wrote one statement for three choices- biology, psychology and also economics and was accepted for all three. so it is possible.
Reply 6
Original post by olalala
thank you both for the reply, feel much more reassured about it than i did earlier, just hope im not trying to stretch one personal statement too far, think i will email them

Yeah. I realised that two courses on one statement is virtually impossible. You can only apply once, so that's the problem there. If the courses are similar, you can always give one university the original, and ask to write another based solely on their topic. I recommend ringing their admissions in September and asking them. It's better getting an answer over the phone. :smile:

Also, if you can, indicate similarities between courses subtly in the statement. What are you applying for? I'll try and give an example. :smile:
Reply 7
Yeah. I realised that two courses on one statement is virtually impossible. You can only apply once, so that's the problem there. If the courses are similar, you can always give one university the original, and ask to write another based solely on their topic. I recommend ringing their admissions in September and asking them. It's better getting an answer over the phone. :smile:

Also, if you can, indicate similarities between courses subtly in the statement. What are you applying for? I'll try and give an example. :smile:

id like to apply for neuroscience and medical pharmacology. mm what i was thinking bout mentioning was my work done with the OU, iv completed a course with them which was looking at drug development, receptors and so forth. i guess that could apply to both.
when writing it should i keep slightly open, so that it could apply to both ? im just thinking if i make it seem open that it'll look like im not sure what i want to do :confused:

hope that makes sense :s-smilie:
Reply 8
Original post by olalala
id like to apply for neuroscience and medical pharmacology. mm what i was thinking bout mentioning was my work done with the OU, iv completed a course with them which was looking at drug development, receptors and so forth. i guess that could apply to both.
when writing it should i keep slightly open, so that it could apply to both ? im just thinking if i make it seem open that it'll look like im not sure what i want to do :confused:

hope that makes sense :s-smilie:

Ok, so write about how your subjects that you're doing now relate to them. A mutual interest in both subjects, work experience for both if you can and how they compliment each other, hence why you're applying for both. :wink:

I have exactly the same problem and am freaking out! I want to do Business and event management as one course and Politics,philosophy and economics as another! Help
Reply 10
Original post by Hussainanum1
I have exactly the same problem and am freaking out! I want to do Business and event management as one course and Politics,philosophy and economics as another! Help

If you call the department at the university, they may allow you to submit a separate one for the 'anomalous' subject you have applied for. E.g. I know of some universities that allowed individuals to apply for medicine and then allowed a person to submit separate PSs for pharmacy or chemistry.
how about applying for adult nursing and child nursing..I have experience in both fields ,been working as a healthcare assistant in both children and adults hospitals. I am not sure if its possible to use same personal statement.
Original post by kayloe2006
how about applying for adult nursing and child nursing..I have experience in both fields ,been working as a healthcare assistant in both children and adults hospitals. I am not sure if its possible to use same personal statement.

Wouldn't recommend it.
You have to show a passion for what you're applying for and adult and child branches are so different.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I could only afford to go to my local uni, so i applied for all the different branches of nursing (I obviously had a favourite) and already have been declined for two, due to "lack of understanding of the course". I am sure my personal statement sucked real bad or was too generic, I am a mature student so had the grades already in the bag.

It's a shame I had no real guidance from a tutor or something, because I know I can do this course, but wasn't even given a chance to interview.

Good luck everyone.
It looks really bad if you apply to one uni for all branches. It shows as they have said a lack of understanding and lack of passion as essentially you have applied just to get into nursing.
It shows that you don't have a future goal or that you know where your passion lies essentially.
Google applying for nursing, look at blogs and examples of personal statements and best of luck.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by deviant182
It looks really bad if you apply to one uni for all branches. It shows as they have said a lack of understanding and lack of passion as essentially you have applied just to get into nursing.
It shows that you don't have a future goal or that you know where your passion lies essentially.
Google applying for nursing, look at blogs and examples of personal statements and best of luck.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I volunteered in two charities for a year to gain experience. I definitely did my research for interviews and practised the entry papers, I think it's ridiculous to make that statement that I lack passion just because I believe I could do more than one branch of nursing. I really resent that comment. I do however agree it does look bad to a recruiter and this played a big role.

On that note, I had a favourite but applying for just one course at one uni is a bit of a gamble. I had no other choices than one university.
(edited 9 years ago)
I'm not saying you lack passion but that's what it looks like.
All branches have similarities but ultimately once you qualify will lead you down very different paths. I've yet to meet anyone who has applied for all 4 branches and be accepted for all 4.
Some people may apply for 2 and get offers. Yes you can have experience in all areas but at interview they usually ask what you want to do when you qualify. If you apply for all 4 branches how can you answer this.
I'm just looking at it from the university point of view.
Applying is always a gamble but ultimately the way they see it is that if you really want to do nursing that bad you will do anything including relocate. As the course is tough and with nmc guidelines you have to attend an allocated amount of hours in theory and in practice.
It can be difficult but year on year applications to nursing are increasing so they have to be tough.
Sorry about how its Turned out for you but do keep trying!
Posted from TSR Mobile
is it better to just address the fact that i am applying to two different courses or should i just try to work around it?
Original post by greenpenguins
is it better to just address the fact that i am applying to two different courses or should i just try to work around it?

Ideally, try and find the commonalities and make it more broad (as long as this doesn't make you sound indecisive/unclear in what you are applying for)

If not, really you would be better off focusing on the course you want to do and then asking the other uni(s) if you can send an additional PS
Reply 19
Anyone have any tips on writing a personal statement if wanting to apply for both adult nursing and midwifery?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending