The Student Room Group

Trip to Germany as a 17 year old

Hi,
I'm thinking of maybe going to Germany this summer to check out Unis and do a bit of traveling. Can anyone share their experiences or advice? I'm sure some people are against the idea of a minor traveling. Feel free to share your insights or advice, but I would appreciate it if comments focus on helpful suggestions rather than expressing disagreement of my traveling at 17. Thank you!
I don't want to say it's a bad idea, but going on a trip alone at your age might not be the best. Have you talked to your parents about it?
Traveling alone can be cool, you get to explore new places, meet people, and learn stuff. But the important thing is to stay safe. Since you're 17 and may not be well familiar with the world. However, if you've decided to head out on your own adventure, take the time to learn about your destination, and don't forget to keep your SOS feature on your device handy. Have a safe and good trip.
Reply 2
Original post by raisunny3834
I don't want to say it's a bad idea, but going on a trip alone at your age might not be the best. Have you talked to your parents about it?
Traveling alone can be cool, you get to explore new places, meet people, and learn stuff. But the important thing is to stay safe. Since you're 17 and may not be well familiar with the world. However, if you've decided to head out on your own adventure, take the time to learn about your destination, and don't forget to keep your SOS feature on your device handy. Have a safe and good trip.

Hi yeah good point I'll make sure all my emergency contacts are all set up. I won't go alone, it'll be with others. Also no I'm not going to just run off without telling my parents.
(edited 3 months ago)
Original post by Glemon
Hi yeah good point I'll make sure all my emergency contacts are all set up. I won't go alone, it'll be with others. Also no I'm not going to just run off without telling my parents.

My apologies for the misunderstanding, it turns out you'll be accompanied by friends, which is wonderful news. I'm sure you'll have an exciting trip. Have fun.
Original post by Glemon
Hi,
I'm thinking of maybe going to Germany this summer to check out Unis and do a bit of traveling. Can anyone share their experiences or advice? I'm sure some people are against the idea of a minor traveling. Feel free to share your insights or advice, but I would appreciate it if comments focus on helpful suggestions rather than expressing disagreement of my traveling at 17. Thank you!

The LMU in Munich has a good reputation in terms of studies for sciences, especially theoritical and experimental physics. On top of it this city is one of the greatest in the country and you can do countless things there for four or five days. Check it out.
Reply 5
Original post by Kallisto
The LMU in Munich has a good reputation in terms of studies for sciences, especially theoritical and experimental physics. On top of it this city is one of the greatest in the country and you can do countless things there for four or five days. Check it out.

Hi! I have looked into this school for History it looks really good. Have you got any other recommendations for places to visit? Also, I was wondering if you like hiking and outdoorsy things do you have any hikes or walks to recommend? My friend and I want to hike and maybe camp on the way to save on accommodation- only if wild camping is allowed of course.
Original post by Glemon
Hi,

Do you have an area in mind that you want to explore as Germany is a big country with lots to see and do? We flew into Munich a couple of years ago and then visited Regensburg, Nurnberg, some of the towns along the romantic road (Rothenberg O d T, Nordlingen, Fussen) and then spent a week in Berchestdagen in the Alps. It was a good mix of city/town and rural. Your age might be a problem for some accommodation if you are under 18. Try youth hostels and check their policies for minors. We found that it was easy to travel between urban areas by train but we hired a car to save time in the Alpine regions.

Great youth hostel in Nurnberg that is in the castle:

https://hihostels.com/hostels/nurnberg/

German rail: https://int.bahn.de/en
Reply 7
Original post by normaw
Do you have an area in mind that you want to explore as Germany is a big country with lots to see and do? We flew into Munich a couple of years ago and then visited Regensburg, Nurnberg, some of the towns along the romantic road (Rothenberg O d T, Nordlingen, Fussen) and then spent a week in Berchestdagen in the Alps. It was a good mix of city/town and rural. Your age might be a problem for some accommodation if you are under 18. Try youth hostels and check their policies for minors. We found that it was easy to travel between urban areas by train but we hired a car to save time in the Alpine regions.

Great youth hostel in Nurnberg that is in the castle:

https://hihostels.com/hostels/nurnberg/

German rail: https://int.bahn.de/en

Thanks! Yes we will definitely be checking the policies on hostels beforehand. I'm gonna try and get in the main cities and towns as well as places for hiking such as black forest and Bavaria. I will be trying to visit unis so that will push us to see more places I think. Can you recommend any particular hiking routes? Also did you camp or stay in hostels on the way of these routes?
Original post by Glemon
Hi! I have looked into this school for History it looks really good. Have you got any other recommendations for places to visit? Also, I was wondering if you like hiking and outdoorsy things do you have any hikes or walks to recommend? My friend and I want to hike and maybe camp on the way to save on accommodation- only if wild camping is allowed of course.

The black forest is a good place for hiking and also the mountains around the city Garmisch-Partenkirchen. For another places follow the link.
Original post by Glemon
Thanks! Yes we will definitely be checking the policies on hostels beforehand. I'm gonna try and get in the main cities and towns as well as places for hiking such as black forest and Bavaria. I will be trying to visit unis so that will push us to see more places I think. Can you recommend any particular hiking routes? Also did you camp or stay in hostels on the way of these routes?

I am a mum of students and we stayed in a mix of guesthouses, hotels and a self-catering apartment. In the summer months (school hols) accommodation gets booked up very quickly (particularly in the Alpine regions) so book in advance. We did the following hikes around Berchtesgaden: Wimbach Gorge and Wimbachschloss; take the Jenner cable car and walk back down to Konigssee; boat trip across Konigsee and then hike to the end of Obersee (and back).

https://www.nationalpark-berchtesgaden.de/english/adventure/tips/hike/index.htm

Quick Reply

Latest