The Student Room Group

As a student nurse, do you ever feel lonely / you have no friends?

I hear all the time that University gets very lonely, people become depressed, anxious over academics, etc. I'm planning to study Mental Health Nursing this September, but I'm scared I'm going to become isolated.
Original post by NurtureProtect
I hear all the time that University gets very lonely, people become depressed, anxious over academics, etc. I'm planning to study Mental Health Nursing this September, but I'm scared I'm going to become isolated.

Don't worry about you being lonely as a student nurse 😔😔.

You'll make lots of friends when you start your course in September and then you'll be having night's out etc with them.

You'll only be isolated if you don't attempt to get to know your fellow students on your course okay.

I'm sure you'll be fine when you start.

I didn't have any problems making friends on my nursing course as we were able to have a night out now and then when we where not studying at university weeks as did it on our placements days of.

I'm now a recent newly qualified adult nurse. Best of luck with your course

Hello @NurtureProtect

I hope you're well. Although I am not a mental health nursing student, I am a final year student midwife so I can relate. I think university in general is hard, and it is all about utilising all the resources and help you can get and staying as organised as you can to help reduce anxiety and negative thoughts. I think it is sometimes easier to feel isolated when doing healthcare courses, as it's very different to your typical university courses and it is hard to find people who relate - but that is when your course mates come in handy!

It would be good, if you do start, to try and connect with those on your course, as not only can they be your study buddies but they will understand what you're going through & most likely have a similar schedule to yours which may make it easier to have fun outings etc. Most universities do have some sort of counselling or support tools that you can use, if you do start to struggle - but try and go in with a positive mindset.

Wishing you all the best,
Jade :smile:
Cov Uni Student Ambassador

Hello! I've just completed my first year of my children's nursing degree, and from my short experience so far I can say I have felt anything but lonely and anxious. There definately have been times where I am worried over an assignment/placement however I have very supportive tutors, university staff and the loveliest cohert of fellow students. I would say as long as you surround yourself with good people (theres plenty of them), you will all stick together and work through the challenging times as a team. You will meet some of the best people during your nursing training and will make some amazing friends, as you're all going through what can be a very demanding course, together. I hope this is reassuring :smile: The university should also offer lots of support as well to help students who may be feeling particularly worried about starting university, or are stressed/anxious during their programme - make sure to reach out for support if you feel you need it.

I'm sure you'll have an amazing time and make some lifelong friends along the way.
All the very best,
Ruth :smile:
WrexhamUniReps

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending