The Student Room Group

Is it possible to get funding for a 3rd degree?

Finished my Bachelor's in 2021 and went to do a masters the year after. Finished the course although I didn't manage to get the masters.

I've currently been working for a year but considering going back to uni to do another course, (not sure what yet), but I'm unsure if I would still be able to get funding for a 3rd degree. Which is why I'm kinda on the fence about going back to uni, anyone know if it's possible to get funding?
You can get funding for a second undergraduate degree if it's an exception course.

Current exception courses that I'm aware of are part-time STEM degrees, healthcare professions degrees (e.g. nursing, radiography, and similar - there are some not on the list though), graduate entry medicine (partial funding first year then fully funded by NHS bursary), and medicine (maintenance loan only until year 5/6 then funded fully by NHS). I believe architecture, teaching, and a couple other areas (at one point I think Arabic/Islamic studies?) also had some exception course arrangements as well although I don't know to what extent.

If it's not an exception course (e.g. a full-time STEM degree, a history degree, etc) then you won't get any SFE funding (tuition or maintenance loan) normally, under equivalent or lower qualification (ELQ) rules.

For masters level I'm not as sure how the PG loans work.
Original post by Bossman234
Finished my Bachelor's in 2021 and went to do a masters the year after. Finished the course although I didn't manage to get the masters.

I've currently been working for a year but considering going back to uni to do another course, (not sure what yet), but I'm unsure if I would still be able to get funding for a 3rd degree. Which is why I'm kinda on the fence about going back to uni, anyone know if it's possible to get funding?

Hi there,

Yes, normally when you have a degree it's not possible to get funding for another.

However, certain courses (like Nursing or doing a PGCE) are exceptions, and there are some part-time exceptions too.

Let us know what kind of course you're thinking of doing and we'll be able to check this.

Thanks, Graeme
Reply 3
Original post by Graeme SFE
Hi there,

Yes, normally when you have a degree it's not possible to get funding for another.

However, certain courses (like Nursing or doing a PGCE) are exceptions, and there are some part-time exceptions too.

Let us know what kind of course you're thinking of doing and we'll be able to check this.

Thanks, Graeme
Hi,

I'm thinking of doing either a MSc in Pharmacology or an MPharm degree.

Do either of these qualify as exception courses? Thanks
Hi there. None of these are full time exception courses, unfortunately. There are different exception courses depending on if you are studying full time or part time. We would need you to confirm the following to check:

Full name of the new course and university?
Full time or part time?
How many year will it be?
When does the new course start?

Thanks, Leah.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending